PDA

View Full Version : Some Les Baer Love for You 1911 Fans

Martowski
January 31, 2017, 11:13 AM
Posted this on some 1911 boards as I've spent more of my time with this platform than others the past few years, but thought I'd share here as well. Just purchased my first Les Baer, a 1997 Premier II w/ the tactical rounded edge package. Found it in LN condition, basically been sitting in a safe for the past 20 years as part of a large collection.

This has that nice hard fit trademark Baer action, and you can feel the barrel lugs snug into the slide release pin upon closure and requires a little extra muscle to rack the slide. Bushing is tight... have to use some force to even get it to rotate with the barrel and spring out. Trigger breaks crisply at just under 4# w/ no grit in the take-up, and I suspect this will lighten somewhat with use as I don't think this pistol has been fired much (if at all) since leaving Les Baer's shop 20 years ago.

Anyway, as we all enjoy sharing experiences I thought I'd share this and post a few pics (put a watermark on a couple of the pics just to dissuade the scammers from using these in bogus sale listings).

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/Martowski/Les%20Baer%20Premier%20II/20170129_105437_zps4xp8f2at.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/Martowski/Les%20Baer%20Premier%20II/20170129_112911_zpsowpii4jz.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/Martowski/Les%20Baer%20Premier%20II/20170129_105615_zpsvjdkehas.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/Martowski/Les%20Baer%20Premier%20II/20170129_105633_zpsq7q9j4tl.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/Martowski/Les%20Baer%20Premier%20II/20170129_113151_zps4jzz2d4t.jpg

g.willikers
January 31, 2017, 12:24 PM
Very nice, indeed.
But " Found it in LN condition, basically been sitting in a safe for the past 20 years as part of a large collection."
??, don't get that at all.
About like someone who buys a Ferrari and never drives it in fear of putting a dent or scratch somewhere.
Blasphemy.
Enjoy that beauty.
You are going to shoot it, yes?

Martowski
January 31, 2017, 12:46 PM
Yes, I will be shooting it as much as time and budget allow.

There are some firearms collectors out there who make more of a hobby of purchasing and owning than shooting. From what I've found online, this particular pistol was part of a large collection owned by the owner/President of some company. The collection was sold through a large auction house. Based on what I saw there were hundreds, possibly more than a thousand, firearms owned by this person. It appears many of them were not used at all.

DaleA
January 31, 2017, 02:37 PM
There are some firearms collectors out there who make more of a hobby of purchasing and owning than shooting.

If there were some way of finding this info out I'd bet it is way more common than we think.

I'm willing to bet the next generation out there, if they know what they're doing will regularly be able to find deals like this on guns (and Harley Davidson motorcycles but that's not gun related so I won't mention it.)

DMK
January 31, 2017, 02:44 PM
I used to have a C&R so I have a few guns I've never shot (yet), but certainly nothing as nice as that.

I would shoot that one as soon as I got my paws on it. I'm sure it's a real pleasure to run some 45 ball through that.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. :cool:

Martowski
January 31, 2017, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I think there are a good number of people out there who collect to own, not to use. I have a C&R and while I've shot all my firearms, there's many I haven't shot in almost 20 years (think No. 4 MKI Enfield, Swedish M96 Mauser, etc.).

I know many of the semi auto threads focus on the latest striker fired polymer wonders and, while I own many of those and appreciate those conversations, know there are some out there who appreciate classic designs like the 1911 and its various iterations.

RickB
January 31, 2017, 03:32 PM
Apparently, all Les Baers are hand-checkered, and the exposed, uneven overruns on either side of the front strap serve as evidence; I like them tucked behind the grips, as on the OP's gun. :)

Martowski
January 31, 2017, 03:52 PM
Yes, here's a pic of mine with the grip panel removed. I've seen several posts from a gentleman who retired after working for Les Baer for a number of years. His job was to do the front strap checkering, by hand.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/Martowski/Les%20Baer%20Premier%20II/20170129_110608_zps29t3yb3s.jpg

At some point, from what I've read, Les Baer started using a different profile frame that is slightly more "beefy" on the front strap and gives a more "square" feeling. Standard 1911 grips look a little small on these from what I understand, as the grip portion of the frame is actually somewhat longer from front to back. On these, you can see more of the overruns as the grip panel doesn't come completely to the front strap.

bedbugbilly
January 31, 2017, 04:18 PM
Now that is enough to make anyone drool! Very nice and beautiful piece of workmanship! Congrats! :)

RickB
January 31, 2017, 04:41 PM
At some point, from what I've read, Les Baer started using a different profile frame that is slightly more "beefy" on the front strap and gives a more "square" feeling. Standard 1911 grips look a little small on these from what I understand, as the grip portion of the frame is actually somewhat longer from front to back. On these, you can see more of the overruns as the grip panel doesn't come completely to the front strap.

Your overruns are a LOT more even than some. Regardless, I like the grips to come right up to the edge of the checkering.
A buddy has a Thunder Ranch of about the same vintage, and I recall the grip fit to be the same.

1stmar
January 31, 2017, 07:02 PM
Les used to use caspian frames then switched to his own which were a bit wider. Not sure when that switch was made.

CDW4ME
January 31, 2017, 07:05 PM
Nice pistol.
I like my Baer UTC.

Rinspeed
January 31, 2017, 08:41 PM
Les Baer makes the best sub $2500 there is in my opinion, hard fit, high quality, Kart barrel goes a long way to ensure a long lasting accurate 1911 that just begs to be shot until you get tired or run out of ammo. Congrats and shoot it in the best of health my friend.

Rinspeed
January 31, 2017, 08:59 PM
But " Found it in LN condition, basically been sitting in a safe for the past 20 years as part of a large collection."
??, don't get that at all.

I've bought a couple LNIB high end pistols over the years, God bless those that have some extra money and will let some nice guns sit in their safe. I have a couple friends that have way more guns than they have time or ammo to shoot. Never thought any less of them for it.

Several guns in my safe have been shot 20K rounds or more, several more only have 2K or less rounds through them. Ain't it great living in America.

Martowski
February 1, 2017, 09:52 AM
I don't think I could own a functioning firearm without putting some ammo through it. Unless it was something highly collectable such as a high-end vintage Luger or similar.

claydoctor
February 2, 2017, 12:10 AM
I note that unlike current Baers, the grips are beveled . I have several nice single actions , that have never been fired but when it comes to 1911's, I don't care how expensive or rare they are, they're going to get shot .

Martowski
February 2, 2017, 07:12 AM
I like the grips on these. They are actually Hogue grips and the checkering is very clean and sharp. Not sure if they were from the factory or put on by the first owner after purchase, but I like them regardless.

KyJim
February 2, 2017, 10:18 PM
Nice pistol. I have a Premier II as well. Accurate, nice trigger, and never a bobble. It's super tight. I remember reading on a forum a while back that some of the distributors/dealers got Les to start building pistols ever so slightly looser because buyers didn't like the effort it took to field strip strip them or rack the slide. But, I've heard the Internet is not always true. :) Anyway, congratulations on the gun.

Martowski
February 2, 2017, 11:11 PM
KyJim, I read the same thing regarding the slight loosening of the fit... specifically the "hard fit" between the barrel feet and the slide stop pin. While I would normally take that with a grain of salt, I saw that information posted by a well-known smith who had a very successful business. That same smith had worked for Les Baer for a number of years and provided that info on first hand account, so I don't doubt it to be true. His business was acquired by a VERY high end custom pistol manufacturer, where he is now general manager of operations.

Rinspeed
February 3, 2017, 05:14 PM
When I received my TRS, at the LGS, he took it out of the box and tries to check the chamber, he says "there's something wrong with this pistol I can't open the slide" :) After 600 rounds and several hundred more hand cycles the action was as smooth as silk and to this day it will shoot circles around most 1911s costing twice as much.

Sgt Pepper
February 3, 2017, 06:39 PM
Really, really nice find. Congrats.

WC145
February 3, 2017, 06:51 PM
KyJim, I read the same thing regarding the slight loosening of the fit... specifically the "hard fit" between the barrel feet and the slide stop pin. While I would normally take that with a grain of salt, I saw that information posted by a well-known smith who had a very successful business. That same smith had worked for Les Baer for a number of years and provided that info on first hand account, so I don't doubt it to be true. His business was acquired by a VERY high end custom pistol manufacturer, where he is now general manager of operations.
I'd be interested in a link to that post. Sounds like you're talking about Rob Schauland, it's no secret that Alchemy was bought by Cabot and he's their new GM. The announcement was published back in June.

I wonder what Les would have to say about rumors that he compromised his methods because of people complaining about how tight the guns were. That doesn't sound like his style.

Your gun sounds like a great find. I've got a Boss, super gun, typically Baer tight and crazy accurate.

Rinspeed
February 3, 2017, 08:03 PM
I wonder what Les would have to say about rumors that he compromised his methods because of people complaining about how tight the guns were. That doesn't sound like his style.

To tell you the truth, for people that actually shoot their pistols, the whole it's too tight is rather a joke. ;)

stephen426
February 3, 2017, 08:39 PM
Congrats! I hope you enjoy the heck out of that gun. My first 1911 was a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. Everyone that has shot that gun LOVES is! Incredibly accurate and amazing trigger. I ended up picking up a Monolith Heavyweight and a Concept V as well. I'll try to get some pics of the trio. The Concept V is still new in box.

The one thing that bothers me about Les Baer is their lousy packaging. A nice pistol bag like this one (http://www.511tactical.com/single-pistol-case.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=5.11+Tactical+Single+Pistol+case+%28Green%29&-CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-=Nylon%2FBags&kpid=844802153225&gclid=CjwKEAiA8dDEBRDf19yI97eO0UsSJAAY_yCSW0L3VjKHX3-eVZZtZbdvXALj3_4QA4V5b1su-XHiMxoCyY7w_wcB) would make a much nicer presentation. I'm sure it would cost them less than $10 even monogrammed.

Martowski
February 3, 2017, 11:22 PM
WC145, here's one post I read. I don't know him at all, but obviously know of him and his work.

Reply #8:
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=712914&highlight=fit

I remember reading on another post somewhere he talked about most of Les' customers being over age 60 and having some of them send the pistols in to relax the hard fit. I believe in that same post, or possibly another, he mentioned an overall change to help make it easier to rack the slides.

Again, don't know him and don't want to misquote him, but just going off some things I saw he posted.

ammo.crafter
February 3, 2017, 11:32 PM
To each his own, I guess. I just do not understand those who spend top dollar on high end guns and never shoot them.

My buddy picked up a never fired Browning high grade over under
12 gauge 30" barrel for 1/2 the going price. In fact the shotgun had the tags and stickers still on the gun.

Martowski
February 4, 2017, 12:54 AM
Same concept as collecting cars and never driving them I suppose. For some it's more about appreciating something through ownership vs. use. All I can say is I'm happy people like that exist, because I just got a good deal on a great pistol. :)

Rinspeed
February 4, 2017, 03:13 PM
I remember reading on another post somewhere he talked about most of Les' customers being over age 60 and having some of them send the pistols in to relax the hard fit. I believe in that same post, or possibly another, he mentioned an overall change to help make it easier to rack the slides.

A little rubbing compound or JB bore paste and 20 minutes would take care of that fairly easily I would think.

Rinspeed
February 4, 2017, 03:19 PM
To each his own, I guess. I just do not understand those who spend top dollar on high end guns and never shoot them.

Me neither but it's their prerogative I guess. :confused: I have a friend that has six or seven safes full of high end rifles. Half of them haven't been shot, what a bloody shame.