PDA

View Full Version : Best sight options for 92fs compact?

OhioGuy
January 13, 2017, 10:56 AM
My dad has a 92fs compact, and his eyes are having trouble focusing on the front sight.

He bought a laser sight that just mounts under the front of the gun, and just hasn't adjusted it. I'm not familiar with laser sights or whether they're really useful as a primary sight.

I know red dots are pretty popular, but I gather that most semi-autos don't accept them without some amount of modification or machining. This seems like a better option than a laser sight, since it lets you focus on just one plane but still doesn't make you shift focus out to the target...? Will the 92fs compact easily accept a red dot optic?

He may have just as much trouble focusing on the red dot as on the front sight, I'm not sure. I know he wears bifocals that he's never been all that fond of. I don't know if improving his vision is in the cards, so what might be the best option?

Rogervzv
January 13, 2017, 12:35 PM
For semi-autos I generally prefer lasers to red dot sights because the latter are subjected to so much recoil stress.

Lasers work very well on a 92fs. I have the laser grips from CT on mine and they work great. Not sure how yours mounts; does your 92fs have a tactical rail like the M9A1 has? Or is it mounting on the trigger guard?

Just shoot some rounds and adjust the laser until POA = POI. You can get close just by putting the dot where the sight picture is.

OhioGuy
January 13, 2017, 01:00 PM
This model has a rail under the muzzle where the laser is attached now.

We will go tweak it at the range tomorrow, I hope!

Rogervzv
January 14, 2017, 12:54 PM
The Crimson Trace Rail Master is a very good laser. The green lasers are brighter but require a larger unit.