PDA

View Full Version : Anything New in the mouse gun sector?

simonrichter
January 6, 2017, 05:26 PM
I've been a little off grid firearms-wise lately since my new employer has blocked firearms related content (as if it was -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- or drugs... ) and I don't habe any other web access - apart from the phone...

Anyway, ranting aside, - is there anything new regarding the really tiny ones recently? I'm especially interested in poly pistols below 5" overall length...

RickB
January 6, 2017, 05:33 PM
I've had a Walther PPS M2 for a couple of weeks, and will have my first chance to shoot it, tomorrow.
It's about the same size and feel as the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield; thin, light 9mm pistol with +capacity magazines that extend the grip.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rickybill/15349773_1391074947569455_3659393413621009521_n_zpszyziamzg.jpg

Armybrat
January 6, 2017, 06:10 PM
Ruger revamped the LCP into the LCP II:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcpII/specSheets/3750.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcpII/images/3750.jpg

Bart Noir
January 6, 2017, 08:04 PM
I'm assuming that "mousegun" means a pocket .380 to you like it does to me. I've had the original KelTec P3AT, then the S&W 380 Bodyguard (no laser), then the Ruger LCP Custom, then the LCP II.

The last one (the new LCP II), is what I carry if I am not at work, where firearms are not permitted. So that is my endorsement for this new Ruger.

What you can find over in Austria probably starts with a G and ends with a K :p But they are good little guns.

Bart Noir

simonrichter
January 7, 2017, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the insights so far. Yet, I'm especially interested in the class oft pistols below the LCP regarding overall length. (Which offen comes with the classic "mouse gun" calibers of .22, .25, .32 and .380. But e.g. the Boberg is already pretty close to the <5" threshold while boasting with 9mm and .45...)

PSP
January 7, 2017, 08:28 AM
The new Upgraded Beretta Pico is a very competent gun. It's small and very thin. Has all the features one wants in a pocket gun. It even has interchangeable frames that allow you to have an integrated light, laser or not.

Seecamp has brought back the original .25acp caliber along with the .32 and .380.

P71pilot
January 7, 2017, 10:07 AM
Kimber K6 revolver comes to mind, and there is a new manufacturer out called i believe honor firearms, i think they make a pocket pistol. The glock 42 (.380) is an excellent pocket gun, as is the 43 (9x19mm)

osbornk
January 7, 2017, 03:55 PM
I think the Taurus Spectrum would be worth considering. I like the looks of it but I'll probably keep my TCP forever. http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/05/looking-beyond-the-colors-of-the-taurus-spectrum-pistol/

Sgt127
January 8, 2017, 11:17 AM
A few years ago, I bought a Rohrbaugh 9mm. It was an absolute work of art. Size, weight, it had everything going for it. Except, it would not run one magazine without a jam. Went back to the factory. I spent $150 on every recommended ammo. Nothing. It wouldn't run ball.

Today, I picked up a Remington RM380. Haven't shot it yet but, I'm very impressed. Machining is damn good. Trigger, eh...decent. Making a Rohrbaugh in .380 was a good idea.

I really like a DAO pocket gun. If this thing runs as I hear they do, it's really a winner. And, Remington needs all the help they can get right now.

smee78
January 8, 2017, 11:55 AM
One of my favorite mouse guns is my little NAA 32acp. It rides in my pocket for work. Sometimes I will swap it out for my Colt Pony 380 but most of the time the 32 is with me. I have thought about a new Ruger LCP II but haven't shot one yet to see if I like it.

franco45
January 8, 2017, 07:43 PM
Today, I picked up a Remington RM380. Haven't shot it yet but, I'm very impressed. Machining is damn good. Trigger, eh...decent. Making a Rohrbaugh in .380 was a good idea.

I have had my RM380 for almost a year. It has been a great little pocket gun. It's a little heavier and a little thicker than most of the other little 380s, but not much. It feels much better than any of the others I've owned (LCP, TCP, DB380 and P3at). It shoots and feels like a bigger gun.

TruthTellers
January 9, 2017, 12:00 AM
To answer the OP's question, about the only new mousegun that has come out in the last year is Ruger's LCP II. Has a better trigger than the LCP and decent fixed sights and, oh yeah, it has this blasphemous ability to lock the slide when the mag is empty.

I'm not rushing out to get one, I think Ruger will come out with an updated model in the next year or two with an extra feature and different colors. I know I'd really like an LCP II with a white polymer frame and a satin stainless slide.

Model12Win
January 9, 2017, 01:29 AM
I want a mauve LCP II with a metallic teal slide and neon orange night sights. :rolleyes:

Really though, I plan to get one (black) for summer carry. Dope new pocket rocket.

OhioGuy
January 15, 2017, 05:03 PM
Well, there's this: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/28/taurus-spectrum/

Available January 17 2017.

Color schemes are garish and obvious marketing, but who knows, the gun could be great.

FNS-40
January 15, 2017, 06:02 PM
Glock G43

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g43

IMTHDUKE
January 16, 2017, 12:42 AM
Some one say mouse gun....this on roars:)

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/Robar.jpg (http://s700.photobucket.com/user/imthduke/media/GUNS/Robar.jpg.html)

simonrichter
January 17, 2017, 12:35 PM
Cool stuff, but actually quite large by real mouse gun standards... Wonder if they'll ever come out with something in the 4,5" range...

TxFlyFish
January 17, 2017, 10:01 PM
That R9 looks really painful

IMTHDUKE
January 17, 2017, 10:21 PM
Actually, its not that bad.....in a life death situation...you wont feel it. It's not a range gun....fire it for reliability and holster it.

tahunua001
January 17, 2017, 10:55 PM
there's the new taurus spectrum.

Radny97
January 18, 2017, 12:25 AM
Yep and bond arms bought Boberg and will be making the Boberg concealed carry pistol soon which I think is very exciting.

OhioGuy
January 18, 2017, 01:26 PM
The new Spectrum looks like it could be an interesting option, but I'm not digging the wild color schemes...

It does look pretty good in the silver and black color scheme.

The black-and-white is kind of storm trooper...maybe that means you'll never hit anything with it :D

A first look: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/1/17/shot-show-2017-taurus-spectrum-380-pistol/

It will be interesting to see what the reviews say over the coming months. It *looks* like a pretty good design, but that won't count for anything if it jams up or is too hard to use.

http://i.imgur.com/H9ABwXB.jpg

tahunua001
January 18, 2017, 10:39 PM
I'm usually not one for the gawdy colors but this combo actually looks pretty attractive for some reason
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/new-Taurus-Spectrum-pistol.jpg

railroader
January 19, 2017, 12:59 AM
On the Taurus spectrum doesn't the trigger guard look really small? It looks like you need little fingers to shoot it.

SansSouci
January 19, 2017, 07:24 AM
Yep. Mice are shooting back.

Use the gun most appropriate for saving your life.

SansSouci
January 19, 2017, 07:25 AM
BTW, a self-defense gun is of dubious worth if it ain't 100% reliable.

OhioGuy
January 19, 2017, 07:51 AM
On the Taurus spectrum doesn't the trigger guard look really small? It looks like you need little fingers to shoot it.

It does look a tad small, but then everything about all these guns is small.

You can always tape two of them together, and get some double-barreled pocket gun action :cool:

jimku
January 22, 2017, 05:52 AM
This is my carry gun.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/275412537/KAHR%20MK40%20ELITE.jpg
It is a Kahr MK40 Elite in 40 S&W.
Overall length is just 5.3 inches.
Yes, it's a snotty little bastard to shoot. But just the thing for snotty little bastards if you get my drift. It will STOP that snotty little bastard instead of just pissing him off like a 380 is likely to do. It is no lightweight at around 24 ounces loaded, but is perfectly concealable. Will fit unobtrusively in my vest pocket or in my hip pocket, and DeSantis makes a GREAT hi-ride holster for it. They offer supremo rosewood grips for it, and they also make a lighter polymer framed version of it which I honestly wouldn't recommend. The weight of this all stainless model helps handle the recoil. The DAO trigger pull is one of the smoothest I have ever encountered. Kahr guns are extremely high quality ... this one feels SOLID and TIGHT. I would not recommend this gun for a lady because it takes a man's hand strength to rack the slide. It may be in a mouse gun size, but it's a mouse that roars.

OhioGuy
January 22, 2017, 08:25 AM
It is a Kahr MK40 Elite

Kahn makes some impressive guns! And they have .40 and 9mm in the same sizes as the .380s, making me wonder why we'd consider .380 at all? I've found the little .380s to be almost as snappy as their 9mm cousins, despite having less power behind the bullets.

I see that Kahr makes the MK series in 9mm also, at the same size.

The CM9 has about the same dimensions, and quite a bit cheaper, just less polished-looking.

Since you're a fan of Kahr, do you happen to know whether there's really much of a practical difference between their "premium" guns like the MKs, and their "cost conscious" guns like the CMs?

At any rate, .40 or 9mm in a gun that's 0.9" wide and 5.5" long seems like a pretty ferocious mouse :)

OhioGuy
January 22, 2017, 08:26 AM
Not exactly "new" in the mouse gun sector, but does anyone have experience with these? They're inexpensive and small...lots of good reviews...

Good quality? Or are these budget guns that are going to fall apart when you need them most?

jimku
January 22, 2017, 01:45 PM
OhioGuy, no, I don't have any experience with Kahr's more "cost conscious" guns. Generally speaking, I tend to shy away from any polymer-framed gun, have never owned one or even shot one. The MK40 Elite IS a ferocious mouse and its recoil IS quite snappy, but nowhere near "painful". When looking for a gun to fill that particular niche/purpose in my arsenal, I did a ton of research, looking at all guns in that general size range in that caliber, reading every review / forum I could find for months, particularly looking for any indication of jams, misfires, etc. mainly focused on RELIABILITY through thousands of rounds. The Kahr MK40 Elite is the gun I kept coming back to and settled on. Accuracy is what you would expect from any gun with a barrel that short ... in other words, just keeping all rounds in center body mass at about 3 - 5 yards. A target gun it is NOT.

I have never been a fan of the 9mm, consider them to be marginal for stopping power. I have never understood and will never understand why our military gave up the 45 ACP for a 9mm Beretta. I have owned a 380 and a 25 and both are just a joke ... better than a poke with a sharp stick, but barely. The only caveat (or negative) of the Kahr MK40 from me is that it is NOT a gun for a lady due to the hand strength it takes to rack the slide ... it doesn't require a gorilla, but it would be tough for any lady I know. That said, when you hold this gun it just exudes QUALITY.

TailGator
January 23, 2017, 11:18 AM
I have only one brief experience with a Diamondback. A fellow at the range had a new one that he was very proud of, but he was having a hard time with accuracy. He saw I was shooting fairly well and asked me to try it to see if it was him or the gun. I couldn't keep the thing on paper, plus the trigger was heavy and gritty, and it just felt and looked cheap to me. That is not a criticism of polymer, either; I have a Glock and a Beretta PX4 in my stable and they leave a much better impression on me.

It was a sample size of one, admittedly, but I wasn't left wanting more.

Tinbucket
January 23, 2017, 11:50 PM
Wife got a Sig Sauer P38 in .380, nice rosewood grips,white dot sights, for her birthday. It is accurate for me. It is black metal frame, with stainless slide wit pretty metal finish. A .22 conversion kit is available for not too much as is laser, from the factory. I found extra mags kinda pricey, like 42 bucks at one store, for one extra round extended mag with extended rubber grip/ bumper. It came with plastic fitted holster. Might be easier on finish than suede lined holster.
It does not bite the hand, even my larger hand.
I went and got it just now to get the model number. Weight I don't knoww but empty it is light as a feather/ Carrying in her the whole shebang with carrying case and two mags etc I thought she must have left it out of the case.
With those Liberty 75grain hollow points at 1500 fps it should stop just about anything.

Sgt127
January 25, 2017, 11:57 PM
Follow up on the Remington RM380.
Trigger is "ok". Smooth, hits wall, pull through, gun fires.
Utterly reliable through 300+ rounds of everything from S&B ball, Winchester flat point ball and Gol Dots.

Very cool little gun.

Also, for a very cool niche gun, Seecamp is doing limited runs of the original Seecamp .25.

I've owned a .32 for close to 30 years. Great gun but ammo specific. The .25? Literally any .25 I could find ran perfectly. Just a really neat little gun. Lots of fun to shoot.