PDA

View Full Version : What's a good and reasonably priced red dot optic?

OhioGuy
January 3, 2017, 10:02 AM
I'd like to get a red dot for my S&W Victory. I see these priced anywhere from like $49 all the way up to several hundred.

This will be mainly for indoor range use, and eventually outdoor also. It doesn't need to stand up to much abuse given the low recoil of the pistol and the fixed position of the sight rail (doesn't reciprocate).

Any recommendations for good starting points? Eventually I may want to move up to competition but for now I mainly want to improve and get used to that sort of sight.

denster
January 3, 2017, 10:31 AM
For a truly reliable dot sight I would recommend the Burris Fastfire II or for a little more money for convenience the Fastfire III. Between $125 and $175 new on eBay. Less if you find a used one. Used is not a worry with Burris all inclusive warranty. Basically if you own it and it doesn't work for any reason we will warrant it and fix it.

MarkCO
January 3, 2017, 10:33 AM
Burris Fastfires. I have them on centerfires for 10s of thousands of rounds, still going strong.

Roland Thunder
January 3, 2017, 11:14 AM
My Burris Fastfire III was about $220. If you go much below $180 you will be compromising quality IMHO

mavracer
January 3, 2017, 12:15 PM
Bushnell TRS25.

Pahoo
January 3, 2017, 12:29 PM
Any recommendations for good starting points?
Now then, you did state; "good starting point" Well, I'd suggest a CenterPoint or another one of the closed tube RedDots.. If the money is not a problem, then by all means, get a FastFire. I have one of these for indoor range. All of my Hunters are closed tube and provide reliable performance. I have been a RedDot fan for many years and still have a Tasco Propoint-I, in service. ..... :eek:

It's easier to list ones to shy away from then those that will meet or exceed your expectations. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

railroader
January 3, 2017, 12:48 PM
I'll second the Bushnell TRS25. I have a couple on rifles and they work well. They run around $70 shipped on ebay.

cavediver27
January 3, 2017, 12:52 PM
Bushnell TRS25, well made, reliable and 3 moa.

B-Shot
January 3, 2017, 01:06 PM
I have been using the Sig Romeo5 nice crisp 2moa dot can be had for about$150 if you shop around

mrdaputer
January 3, 2017, 01:39 PM
OhioGuy what MOA are you looking for? Do some youtunbing for the Vortex venom and the viper their warranty is second to non and can be bought for about 200.

Bartholomew Roberts
January 3, 2017, 01:51 PM
I like the Fastfire and have one on my 22/45; but it is overkill for a .22 pistol. The Primary Arms Microdot is only about $90 and reliable enough for recreational/hunting use.

ammo.crafter
January 3, 2017, 01:59 PM
Vortex.

Check Amazon

Dufus
January 3, 2017, 02:24 PM
Red Dots are nice, but I have switched to the green laser. Since you mentioned eventually out door use, the green dot is much more visible outside than the reds are, at least for my old eyes.

When you want to splurge somewhat, take a look at the Streamlight TLR series. They are pricey, but perform admirably. I would have no other on my guns at this time.

OhioGuy
January 3, 2017, 02:48 PM
Do the open designs like the Venom and FastFire have any inherent advantages over the tubular designs, other than being quite a bit smaller?

I've read a bit about the MOA ratings. I really don't know what ranges I'd be shooting with this pistol--indoors it won't be more than 25 yards for sure. I've never done any long range pistol shooting yet. How far out would I really be shooting before I'd want to have a magnification scope anyway?

I've read that diameter of the circle covered by the dot grows by 1" at 100 yards for every 1 MOA.

Even the cheaper ones recommended here are listed as 2 or 3 MOA which would seem to be more than adequate.

themalicious0ne
January 3, 2017, 03:44 PM
Primary arms micro dot. Small, great battery life, and reliable. Its like an aimpoint clone.

NoSecondBest
January 3, 2017, 04:00 PM
I've owned at least twenty-five red dot sights over the last twenty-five years. I have seven of them right now on different guns. Not even one person mentioned parallax on these sights. I had two different Bushnell TRS-25's and sent them both back. They had at least three inches of parallax at twenty-five yards....and this is something easy to check if you know how. It's easy. The cheaper red dot sights do not have plated circuits and fail for that reason. The Burris FF3 is about the best you'll get for the buck. The really cheap ones are simply junk and it's not just recoil that does them in. The open sights like the FF3 are a bit harder to find the dot on a handgun, have less brightness settings. The "tin can" types are easier to find the dot, have more settings for brightness, and are just a bit heavier. I find them to work better for hunting and plinking applications. They make so many different brands that you get too many answers to this question. Some are good answers, some aren't. I'd listen to the Burris people on here. If you can afford it, you'll get a great sight. I have one on a 44mag and a 45-70 rifle and they hold up to sustained recoil and are very, very well made.

doofus47
January 3, 2017, 04:07 PM
I have a Burris FastFire3 on one carbine and a Vortex sparc on the other. I like them both.

P71pilot
January 3, 2017, 05:13 PM
Bushnell trophy TRS25, cannot be beat for the money

Mike38
January 3, 2017, 06:22 PM
Ultra Dot. You will not be disappointed. $166.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Ultra-Dot-30mm-Black__UD30B.aspx

Aguila Blanca
January 3, 2017, 07:04 PM
Now then, you did state; "good starting point" Well, I'd suggest a CenterPoint or another one of the closed tube RedDots..
Well, this brings up the question: which kind of "red dot" are we talking about? There are the reflex ("tombstone" types, there are the small (1-inch, plus-or-minus) tube type, and there are the 30mm to 40mm tube type.

Which type? And do you have a budget?

OhioGuy
January 3, 2017, 07:46 PM
Well, this brings up the question: which kind of "red dot" are we talking about? There are the reflex ("tombstone" types, there are the small (1-inch, plus-or-minus) tube type, and there are the 30mm to 40mm tube type.

Which type? And do you have a budget?

I'm a beginner at target shooting and I've tried a few different options at the range, where other shooters let me try their sights. At this point I want something that will be accurate at 25 yards and easy to use indoors. I'd like to stay under $100 if possible since I already spent $350 on the gun.

O4L
January 3, 2017, 11:50 PM
In your situation I would go with the Primary Arms Micro Dot.

railroader
January 3, 2017, 11:58 PM
Here's the bushnell,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-1X25-TRS-25-3-MOA-Red-Dot-731303-FREE-SHIPPING-/360967711677?hash=item540b5a2bbd:g:dc0AAOSwzaJX68BQ $65 shipped.

Water-Man
January 4, 2017, 12:26 AM
Bushnell TRS-25.

Aguila Blanca
January 4, 2017, 03:00 AM
Here's the bushnell,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-1X2...0AAOSwzaJX68BQ $65 shipped.
That looks like a good choice, and within the budget.

To OhioGuy: The few bullseye (competitive target) shooters I know all seem to use tube-type red dot scops, not reflex type. You mentioned 25 yards -- what you need to understand is that most red dot sights, whether they are tube-type or reflex-type, do not provide magnification. In other words, they are sighting devices, not "scopes." A concern/consideration is the size of the dot -- they aren't all the same. If the dot is too small for your eyes, you may have difficulty seeing it. On the other hand, if the dot is big and you shoot at targets with small bullseyes -- the dot my totally obscure the bullseye, which doesn't help your accuracy.

If you know any other shooters who use such sights, I would recommend that you try as many as you can to see how they work for you.