PDA

View Full Version : Holster options for tall, fat guys

sturg
November 13, 2016, 08:41 AM
I am 6'5" and 380 lbs. I have a full sized 9mm semi (CZSp-01Tactical).
I was wondering if anyone with my dimensions has been able to find any good carry holsters. I know that I need to go out and physically try them out in stores, but I was just trying to narrow down my options a bit, if poss.
It seems like every picture of a guy with a carry holster is of normal height and weight.
Just thinking about where a gun would fit comfortably on me, I do not think a
belt or ankle holster would work. Probably a shoulder or belly band type, but I really am not sure. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Don P
November 13, 2016, 09:59 AM
My opinion is a outside the waistband holster at the 3:30 4:00 position. Inside the waistband holsters for comfort will require you to add one pants size larger to accommodate the holster and gun. Chances are that a belly band is not made to accommodate your waist size.(unknown to us) Also finding a shoulder rig again not knowing your chest size is another problem. If all else fails on the shoulder rig you can seek out a custom holster maker. At one time being 6' and weighing 350 lbs. I was able to conceal a full size 1911 at the 3:30-4:00 position in a OWB holster

spacemanspiff
November 14, 2016, 01:02 PM
Bought as easy as finding a good holster when you are short and fat.
I am 5'5" and havent stepped on a scale in a few years, just know I am north of 300, maybe 330?

I carry a full size 1911, IWB at 3:30/4:00. High Noon Holsters makes great tuckables, though i never 'tuck' it anymore. (thank you polo shirts!)

Yes you have to have pants large enough to accomodate, but look for the slacks/khakis that have the elastic waist band, that gives an extra two inches.

Chainsaw.
November 17, 2016, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately you big fellas usually dont have enough ass to keep pants up let alone addin the weight of a gun. Best option? Probably under the shoulder, or start wearing suspenders? I have seen belts that are basiclly a two layer belt, insude holds the gun,,outside holds the pants.

Don P
November 17, 2016, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately you big fellas usually dont have enough ass to keep pants up let alone addin the weight of a gun.
Unfortunately I have way to much ass,:eek:

rpseraph
November 17, 2016, 05:30 PM
This reminds me of a youtube video where a gentleman of... ample midsection... declared he loved carrying appendix because he could (I know you'll picture it) *lift* up his gut, tuck in the gun, and replace his gut on *top* of the gun. It was a full size hammer fired Sig if I recall... I've had a gun pressed into my skin from time to time, and it simply isn't comfortable, but this guy said it was super comfortable. Maybe he has some kind of nerve damage?? Not to mention tucking your steel gun in your gut seems like rust waiting to happen.

O4L
November 19, 2016, 02:15 AM
I'm about the same size as the OP. I either carry OWB at three to four o'clock with shirt untucked or carry a sub-compact in a pocket holster in a rear pocket.