PDA

View Full Version : New Firearm Cleaning kit

Tinbucket
October 6, 2016, 08:16 PM
I have a large assortment, of aluminum cleaning rods jags etc, from late sixties and early seventies.
I want to find a new quality kit or kits, for rifles and hand guns, that fits easily into a case, for that piece, with both or all types of jags.
Just start over and have the pieces right there, when cleaning whatever.
I usually sit on the floor or ottoman , with things laid out on large old towel, that doesn't let things bounce around , and watch tv or not.
If I ever get the new bench up might still do this.
What type of rod, aluminum, steel, carbon fiber, jigs aluminum or brass or nylon.
What kit or kits do you recommend and who sells them?

Doyle
October 6, 2016, 08:25 PM
I guess I'm just the opposite. My thinking is to find a rod (or rods) that you like and then buy the tips that you need. I've never been a fan of the kits that somebody else puts together. As to keeping it all straight, the biggest problem I have had is trying to keep similar sized jags/brushes from getting confused. A 6mm brush looks way too similar to a 6.5mm brush. So, to solve that problem I started saving large prescription pill bottles. I use a different bottle to hold all the tips I have for that particular size.

Tinbucket
October 6, 2016, 11:26 PM
These are old Hoppes mostly, with three section aluminum rods , for the rifles. They came in metal boxes. Jigs are aluminum and some nylon.
They are scattered or some rodent has taken them for decorating their nest.
Once I get a new bench up and start getting things out of totes, I will have most of the stuff.
I tried to clean one of my Ruger .22s and could not find a jag for the barrel.
I ended up with a small bobby pin and fishing line looped over a rectangular piece of cloth.
I said self, perhaps a new cleaning kit for everything is an idea.
I read don't use coated steel rods or aluminum and now they have carbon fiber but the fitting for the jag is large and brass. Kind of defeats the purpose.
This observation was from perusing the offerings, at Sportsmans Whse. By the time I bought the various rods for all the rifles I would have to sell the Rolls( I don't own one).
I envison a good pegboard and all the rods, in order and jags attacked so no searching and screwing together. Oh, I bought some bore guides, for a couple guns.
I like the idea of bore snakes. Still need rods though.
So I have seen some nice, even walnut, cases, with cleaning goodies in side, but the goodies are cheap and insufficient.
Maybe I'm looking fora problem for a new toy?

StukaJU87
October 7, 2016, 12:29 AM
Don't remember where I bought mine or what I paid but I've been using this kit for the past few years.
http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11843291

It isn't fancy but it works for me and has some nice features.