PDA

View Full Version : Trying to replace my felt-like grip wrap

Dogsnbeaches
September 22, 2016, 03:14 PM
I'm a brand new poster here, I figure if I'm trying to find something gun-related this is the place to go. I'm a recently retired LEO. About 15 years ago or so my department switched to a Glock .40cal. I hated the plastic grip and found it slipping around my hand. A guy I worked with at the time suggested the best grip I ever had.

It looked like a piece of felt (but far tougher) and had a peel off back. You take the "felt" and wrap it around the grip of the gun being sure not to overlap anywhere. Over time the felt takes on every nook and cranny of the underlying grip. I even wrapped it over the mag release and you couldn't tell once it really took hold. It wasn't perfect at first, but it really smoothed out and was perfect for shooting in the rain or a sweaty hand. It just felt really good.

I've since retired and said goodbye to my duty weapon. I just bought myself a Glock Model 19 and would love to find the same wrap for my grip. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

TunnelRat
September 22, 2016, 03:19 PM
Not exactly the same but Talon grips are pretty adorable and popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lohman446
September 22, 2016, 03:48 PM
We used to use something called moleskin when bowhunting - it was a like a felt like silencer that held up very well and came in sheets. This would have been in the early to mid 90s

Jim Watson
September 22, 2016, 04:38 PM
It sounds like the Brooks A-Grip which they describe as
"AGrip feels soft and slightly fuzzy, kind of like very short velvet or synthetic suede."

http://brookstactical.com/index.html

Targa
September 22, 2016, 05:18 PM
I have Talon grips on my Kahr CM9 and it is a bit as you describe with exception of the nice velvet like feel. Talon grips are like coarse sand paper but I will tell you this, you will not have to re-establish you grip while shooting, they firmly lock your hand into place.
Those Brookstactical grips look really nice.

Bluestarlizzard
September 22, 2016, 05:56 PM
Moleskin might work. You'll find it in the drugstore with other stuff for feet.

I prefer vet wrap as my go to for make shift gun grips. Stuff works like a dream.

As far as stuff actually made for guns, I second Talon. In addition to the skate board tape type grips, they also make a more rubbery grip material.

AK103K
September 22, 2016, 06:14 PM
You may want to look into stippling. You can get a fine, cat tongue feel, without the issues that eventually occur with tapes or some of the others.

You can do as little or as much as you like, to suit your needs, and its easily done yourself. No more trying to get the tape to fit properly, or having areas that you wished were more aggressive but arent offered.

I have rough, calloused hands, that dont do well with the plastic grips, especially when damp/wet. With a fine stippling on the grip, the gun locks in and doesnt move, wet, dry, whatever.

The only Glock finish I dont stipple, are the RTF2 guns. For me, thats the best factory treatment they had going.

TunnelRat
September 22, 2016, 08:52 PM
I typically use the rubberized as opposed to the skateboard type texture for the Talons. I find it works well as sometimes the skateboard tape can cling to clothes. In thousands of rounds and a few years now I've never had any issues with them peeling off, moving around, and they covered the grip well.

I've done stippling as well and it can be great. I'd say it's easy to do but not necessarily easy to do well, but to me that's one of those skills you either do or don't have a feel for and I'm not one of those people. There are places you can send a pistol to have others do it. Just be mindful that it can make reselling a pistol hard as you have to find someone else that likes the stippling. If you plan to keep the pistol then no worries. I did find personally that stippling stuck to a cotton shirt more than the press on stuff, but I may have been using too coarse a size of stipple.

I generally advise people try the press on stuff before stippling. They're usually cheap enough that if you don't like it it's not a big loss of money and it's less invasive. If you do stipple yourself don't forget you can get some pieces of plastic to practice on first and there are good guides out there too.

Dogsnbeaches
September 24, 2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the input! I'll look into all your suggestions.

Dogsnbeaches
September 24, 2016, 08:58 AM
Jim...just looked at the link for Brooks AGrip. I'm pretty sure you nailed it! That looks just like what I was talking about. Thanks!

T. O'Heir
September 24, 2016, 11:42 AM
I've always thought they were slippery too.
Pachmayr makes a slip-on thingy to take the slippery feel out of Glocks. I think it can come with finger grooves as well.

Darkstar888
September 26, 2016, 12:37 PM
I highly recommend Talon rubber grip decals for all polymer weapons. Adds the perfect amount of grippyness to the grip with no added bulk. Looks great too.

jglsprings
September 27, 2016, 08:05 AM
I added the Talon grips to my Glock 43. They added just the right amount of sticky and thickness.

Worth a try.

PS just like Darkstars said. LOL

Roland Thunder
September 30, 2016, 03:20 PM
Can the Talon grip be removed later if you don't like it, since it it stick on

Darkstar888
September 30, 2016, 04:37 PM
Yup. Can be removed easily if desired and any residue can be removed with rubbing alcohol or goo b gone. Highly doubt you would want to remove it unless selling the gun. Even then the buyer might still want it left on. Def get the rubber version not the granulated.