PDA

View Full Version : Torn between FNS-9 or M&P9 (full size)

nodule
August 2, 2016, 06:55 PM
Hi,

I am in NJ and have a permit I need to use. After much research, I have narrowed my choice down to either the FN FNS 9 or the M&P 9, both in full size.
I am a strictly lefter recreational ONLY shooter who enjoys occasional trips to the range.

I have handled BOTH and both really felt equally great in my hand, but with the edge slightly to the M&P for maybe a bit better feel, but NOT by much.

What are your thoughts, particularly to guys who own or have shot BOTH models? Or are they so close, it pretty much flip a coin?

Thanks!

Cyanide971
August 2, 2016, 09:39 PM
I prefer the FNS myself, as it feels and, shoots much better for me than the M&P's, especially when I have the flat backstrap installed. Good luck!

Will Beararms
August 2, 2016, 10:04 PM
While the M&P may not have the trigger of a Glock or HK VP or Walther PPQ I believe it's one of the more over built polymer frame handguns and why I own one.

YoungGun
August 3, 2016, 12:47 AM
I had the M&P9 and now have the FNS-40. My personal preference would be the FNS-9.

Yg

mellow_c
August 3, 2016, 01:15 AM
I've shot my fair share of M&P's. I've always found them to be just ok. Except one guy had a compact 10 shot M&P 45 that fit me like a glove and shot like a laser for me.

Based on what I've seen about the FNS 9 (no personal experience) I'd probably give it a try over the M&P 9.

I wish I had more to tell ya, but that's all I've got. Good luck!:)

ritepath
August 3, 2016, 06:08 AM
For fun shooting.....get yourself the M&P CORE 9.

Siggy-06
August 3, 2016, 06:59 AM
I prefer the M&P compact over its full size. I do own the FNS 40 now and its an excellent pistol.

Walt Sherrill
August 3, 2016, 07:47 AM
I have an M&P Pro in 9mm. I got it used, with a lot of APEX upgrades. Marvelous gun (but not exactly what you're looking at). I also have two FNS-40s, (one a Long Slide), and a 9mm conversion barrel for the otherFNS-40 (not an L). Both of the FNS-40s were acquired used, one with trigger work done. The stock trigger isn't bad on either of them.

The standard M&P 9 trigger may be a bit off-putting -- the ones I've handled were -- and folks I know who have them frequently UPGRADE the trigger with an APEX kit.

There are few after-market upgrades available for the FNH guns at present.

Handle them both, and pick the one that suits you the best. You won't go wrong with either gun. (And what suits YOU best is something only YOU can really answer.)

lesgeaux
August 3, 2016, 05:04 PM
I do not know much bout NJ but if you haven't checked the Sig 320 you may find you like it and without having to get another permit you may be able to get x-change kits and have multiple caliber and sizes in 1 firearm.

The trigger on my stock compact 320 is nice.

75218ron
August 3, 2016, 05:14 PM
Check out the XD 9mm

Wishoot
August 4, 2016, 07:59 AM
Haven't shot the FNS, but I found the M&P to be the most average stock pistol I've ever owned. Trigger was just okay. Accuracy was just okay.

I could of dropped another $50 or so and installed an Apex trigger kit, but I didn't feel it was worth the money. I already had a few bone-stock pistols that I enjoyed much more than the M&P. Sold it for a slight loss and never looked back.

Sharkbite
August 4, 2016, 09:26 AM
The standard M&P 9 trigger may be a bit off-putting -- the ones I've handled were -- and folks I know who have them frequently UPGRADE the trigger with an APEX kit.

The M&P with the Apex forward set sear is simply the best trigger ive shot in a poly framed/striker fired pistol. Ive ditched all my Glocks and now run M&P's exclusively.

I have 1 rmr sighted CORE, 1 full size 40, 1 full size 9mm and 1 9c (my current carry gun). LOVE THE. ALL

Duck of Death
August 4, 2016, 03:01 PM
Get the Fns--they are great pistols. Easy trigger to work on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZQC26vCAg

and super accurate.

I have 2 -- Fns 40 & Fns 40 compact. :D

Ibmikey
August 5, 2016, 08:53 AM
Well now that you have a dozen opinions by people who like one or the other it is time for you to do what you need to do.....go to the range and shoot both, make up your own mind which you like the best, which has the best features? Accuracy? Otherwise you will be buying with your head in the sand.

nodule
August 5, 2016, 12:54 PM
mikey,

That is the BEST suggestion and most common sense suggestion I received!
That is exactly what I plan to do!

Walt Sherrill
August 5, 2016, 02:18 PM
.go to the range and shoot both, make up your own mind which you like the best...

Sadly, not all of us have access to ranges that have the appropriate "rental" guns on hand, and only a few of MY shooting buddies actually have the guns in question. (A few have M&Ps, one or two have Pros, but I don't know of any with Shields. Almost none have FNH weapons.) Being able to shpot both is easier said than done.

If nothing else I like to handle the guns in question, try the triggers (with the shop or seller's permission), even if I can't shoot the gun(s).

Even shooting the gun isn't a sure-fire test. Some of the guns I've had over the years seemed fine at first, but slowly changed in my mind, as I got more familiar with them.

(I had a Glock 34 that I loved, but absolutely hated two different Glock 35s, and I don't think it was just the round -- as I have other .40s that I like.... Particularly since both guns are almost identical in all respects except caliber. Sometimes buying a gun is a "crap shoot." :) )

cmdc
August 5, 2016, 06:48 PM
I have multiple samples of both and like both. I like the FNs better. They just seem more robust, but that's just my perception.

Pianoguy
August 6, 2016, 05:28 AM
I recently had the same dilema. Went with the FNS-9 mostly because the price was too good to pass up and saved a whopping $50. I'm sure I'll be bacj and buy an M&P9 sometime in the future and end up with both.

mavracer
August 6, 2016, 06:03 AM
I like my FNS but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Kvon2
August 6, 2016, 08:18 AM
Another vote for the FN. Not a huge fan of trigger safeties especially if the gun is just for the range. Both will serve you well though.

Walt Sherrill
August 6, 2016, 09:12 AM
The FNS line offers otherwise identical models with frame-mounted safeties, or no safety. Mine don't have the safety. It's a non-issue, ala Glock.

Ibmikey
August 6, 2016, 10:50 AM
Well thank you Nodule, i too value the comments by others however we all tend to be biased and our reports favor our favorites. I think the feed back is best when folks have had problems, large or small, and give others something to consider when purchasing. Constructive comments are welcome but the few who simply use "junk" or "garbage" to describe their disfavor help not at all and belittle themselves as not being able to give an intelligent opinion. Fortunately those folks are few.