PDA

View Full Version : taurus pt111..any reason not to

dieselbeef
July 21, 2016, 08:39 AM
since society seems to be going crazy I am going to move up my avail rds in my carry. im typically a revolver guy..357 is my fave but 6 seem to be a bit low..

so im thinking the Taurus pt111g2 is a good choice. 12 rds and I cannot find any problem reported by anyone online. for 250 I get the gun..2 mags and a holster delivered...cant beat it

any reason why not? save the Taurus bashing in general..ive already hear all that....gun specific

thanks

kenny53
July 21, 2016, 08:47 AM
Taurus makes a good gun. I have carried them with out a worry. I would buy the gun put a couple hundred round through it and if you are happy with the results by all means carry it.

Soclosenotnear
July 21, 2016, 08:52 AM
My first hand gun was the original pt111 and it was awful. The g2 we've recently started receiving and they are much, much nicer. We've been selling them like hot cakes and I can't keep them in stock. They are nicer than any other handguns we sell new for less than 300 bucks.

dieselbeef
July 21, 2016, 09:11 AM
207 on deguns. Hard to beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rightside
July 21, 2016, 10:51 AM
I think Taurus really upped their game with the G2 . I believe they were and are trying to get away from the negative press regarding the lawsuit over the previous PT's and the other striker fired pistols named in the suit. I did notice that they made the internal frame assembly from steel ,whereas all the earlier pistols have an aluminum sub frame. Then they sold them at an almost unbelievable low price! I think they are trying to do some damage control. The G2 is an excellent weapon. I carry mine daily.

lee n. field
July 21, 2016, 03:06 PM
any reason why not?

it's a Taurus?

Seriously, I handled one the other day. Seemed to be OK, and the internetz gun social media buzz is that these are good. Very Glock-ish inside, but with Taurus' DA/SA twist on it.

I'd take a chance on one, if I didn't have the subcompact 9mm category pretty well covered.

You might want to double check that extra magazines are available.

DanPop
July 21, 2016, 04:08 PM
My G2 is my favorite gun, well over 1,000 rds through it without one single failure. The only issue I have heard of is the trigger safety breaking on a few. I think it has been corrected and if you shoot with the pad of forefinger rather than your first crease it couldn't have a problem anyway. It's just a down and dirty, blue collar working gun.
As far as available mags, they readily available, in fact this guy, http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-10rd-Extended-Magazines-Mags-Clips-for-Taurus-PT-111-Pro-G2-T123-/401156643584?hash=item5d66cc9b00:g:pWAAAOSw5dNWsUo0
has some plus 2 mags for about $52 a pair, they make for the PERFECT GRIP if you're not conceal carrying.

BigBL87
July 21, 2016, 04:29 PM
It's a heck of a gun for $200.

I had one until recently. Functioned fine and I liked it for the most part, but just couldn't get used to the trigger. Trigger weight isn't bad, just a ridiculous amount of takeup that drove me nuts. I ended up selling it to my father-in-law, who really likes it. I wouldn't have it as an "only" gun, but if I got another one I wouldn't complain.

DanPop
July 21, 2016, 07:29 PM
Big BL, take up in single action? I have no take up, maybe 1/8 of an inch. My PT111 is my most comfortable gun, trigger included.

dieselbeef
July 21, 2016, 08:49 PM
ive heard both sides of the trigger thing..long ..really long pull...others not so much...ill take the risk and order one tomorrow

Toney
July 21, 2016, 10:05 PM
I got one of the psa specials, it's ugly but it works.

hornetguy
July 21, 2016, 10:06 PM
I predict (easy prediction) that you will love it.

Mine is, hands down, my favorite 9mm. It just "fits" my hand.

Trigger pull is borderline outstanding, and reset is under 1/8"...

Double strike capability, and very good accuracy.

Mine has fed and comfortably fired all bullet weights with no FTF, FTE... nothing. Boringly reliable.

The ONLY problem I've had is that it's nearly impossible to get the 12th round in the magazine.

I've got probably just under 1000 rounds through mine.... I used it to qualify for my LTC, and shot a perfect score with it.

I have no desire to find a "better" carry gun. I don't think one exists. I might buy another G2, though.

tallball
July 21, 2016, 11:22 PM
"since society seems to be going..."

I like guns. If anyone wants to buy a certain firearm and can afford it, I am completely in favor of them indulging themselves. I certainly have.

But if I recall correctly, violent crime has been declining steadily since 1990 or so.

Just sayin'.

Oh, and on a more pertinent note:

"Hickok45 spoke about the distance from the trigger "break" to the rear of grip, being a problem for some with big-ish hands."

I have very large hands, and that's the reason I got rid of my Taurus Slim.

kmw1954
July 21, 2016, 11:53 PM
Brother has a G2 and has nothing but praise for it. I have handled it but not fired it as of yet. For me the grip just doesn't seem to fit me well.

I have a Taurus PT92C and find it as comfortable as a K frame Smith. It's still a bit large to try and carry. It is 12 rounds also with a 4" barrel.

tmail65
July 22, 2016, 06:19 AM
Hickok45 spoke about the distance from the trigger "break" to the rear of grip, being a problem for some with big-ish hands.

The first round is a longer pull, than the rest of a mag.

The G2 isn't my main carry in house, it is what is in my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH3tJrK2ma4

BigJimP
July 22, 2016, 12:12 PM
I don't get the higher capacity thing....learning to reload is a better plan in my view..than going to a semiauto with at best - questionable quality.

There are just too many other guns out there, with high capacity if that's your criteria ...from S&W, Springfield, Glock or whatever...without the quality issue.

A buddy of mine that owns a local gun shop quit carrying Taurus semiautos because he had so many unhappy customers - and had to send so many back for warranty work..repeatedly - that he just gave up. But looking at responses...maybe his experience was not typical.

But a young man shooting next to me yesterday - at my local range - bought the gun you're talking about / he had some misfeeds, trigger in it was not very good...but he bought it because it was a good value. But at the same time he was also talking about selling it pretty soon - and moving up to something better.../ not a ringing endorsement !

edrice
July 22, 2016, 10:38 PM
Picked one up recently and finally got a chance to test it out yesterday. It was perfect. Ate every type of ammo I fed it and no hiccups. Paid only $239 for it.

Taurus has a lot of bad rep following it around from years past but they seemed to have turned the corner. And at this price level, I'm not sure one should expect it to be the fit and finish of a Sig or H&K or otherwise. Most of my other stuff is S&Ws and Rugers. But I expected it to work and it did and it did it well. That's all I really care about.

adamBomb
July 24, 2016, 07:12 AM
I have a G1 Gen 3 PT111. Thing is a lot of fun to shoot. Over the last 1.5 yrs or so I have heard nothing but good things from dealers/shooters about taurus. I think a lot of their troubles are behind them with their new operation. They have a few guns out that I wouldn't mind trying.

In this test in guns and ammo the taurus 709 beat out nearly all of the big name brands

http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/compacts/single-stack-9mm-shootout/

So go for it.

smee78
July 24, 2016, 09:09 AM
Well I'm not a Taurus fan period. But I will say these G2 guns have been very popular and we sell them out as fast as we get them in at the LGS I help out at. The only complaint I have is the trigger, it seems extra long. That is the only complaint I have with the gun, everything else feels good and was a good improvement over the first gen series.

RAfiringline
July 24, 2016, 09:53 AM
I've got pt111G2 that I bought new.

440 rds fired, mostly 115g and 124g RNs.
I had 2 stoppages, both w/ 115g HPs.
For SD I decided to try 124g Gold Dots and ran 30 w/ -0- stoppages.

My experience w/ 9mm's is that 124g runs a lot better than 115g.
Also, I don't like the severe cone shape of some HP ammo which might cause feed problems - Gold Dots are more like RNs in bullet shape, so I've decided that that's what I'm going to use.

The only other thing about the G2 is that its trigger takes some getting used to, but it's ok w/ practice.

qrz
July 27, 2016, 08:47 PM
I was hearing a lot of good thigs about the G2 but would not conisder buying it because it was still a Taurus. The G2 went on sale and thought about it, but still a Taurus. Then they offered a rebate. I figured for almost nothing I could get it and planned on it being problematic to further my bias against Taurus. Then the darn thing went flawless on me and I enjoyed shooting it. LIke the way it handled so much it became my carry. Now I'm looking at the Taurus Tracker in 44. If it goes on sale and has another rebate around Christmas, I'll buy me another one if the reviews still hold out as well as they seem to be doing. I hate it when guns do that!!!!

hornetguy
July 27, 2016, 10:31 PM
I guess I don't understand what you guys are talking about, the first trigger pull being different from the rest?

This is a single action trigger, with double strike capability. That means that every pull of the trigger on a cocked round is exactly the same.

The only time the trigger pull would be different is if you had a failure to fire, and you used the double strike option, which is more like a double action revolver trigger pull.

If you have not had a failure to fire, every trigger pull will be the same.

I researched the G2 online quite a bit before buying mine, and I found probably 98% of owners LOVED them. I've actually read more complaints about other mfg's pistols than I have the G2.

This is, from what I've read, a completely different animal from the original Millennium (G1).. Those were plagued with problems...hence the G2. And my own experience (NOT gunshop hearsay) is that it is one of the best carry guns made, in it's size class. ESPECIALLY when you factor in the price point.

Are they perfect? No... what pistol IS?? Are they "trash", as the Taurus-bashers want to claim? HELL no.

Anyone that bashes a pistol because all the big boys down at the gun shop say so, without checking it out themselves, is very shortsighted, and is missing out on a "sleeper" bargain carry gun.

I'd put mine up against any Smith, Walther, whatever, in a heartbeat.

hemiram
July 28, 2016, 04:14 AM
I have two of them now. I haven't been able to shoot the 2nd one yet, but if it's as good as the first one, and by looks and dummy round feeding, it appears to be, I'm going to be very happy. My original has about 1200 rounds and counting, with only one problem, on the third shot, and that might have been from my finger riding the slide. Since then, it's running great. The worst part is loading the mags, the last two rounds are really hard to get in there even with a mag loader.

dieselbeef
July 29, 2016, 12:26 PM
well I got banned but im back soooo. thanks for the input..i bought one..199$ delivered. talked a cpl guys that had em. both liked em but sold em cuz that's what they do..idk but that seems dumb top me but whatever...

haven't shot it yet but I got BOTH days of this weekend so I hope to wring it out good sunday...ill be back

jdeeregreen
July 29, 2016, 07:51 PM
Dang all this praise about the G2 and I am kicking myself in the rear for getting rid of mine! I did really like it, had no problems function wise with it. Fit my hand like a glove and very comfy. I traded even for a Ruger Lc9s. I really didn't want to get rid of the G2, but I wanted the Ruger and didn't have the money to buy one, so I went for the trade. Now I really like the Ruger 9s, but would love to have my G2 back! :(

dieselbeef
July 30, 2016, 06:49 AM
popped 40 rds off last night..first 2 rds jammed on the ramp but after that the rest went flawless. also the sights were close enough at 40 ft my 9 yr old was nailing 8'' steel plates

im gonna shoot another 3-400 this weekend between the 2 of us I think

Ibmikey
July 30, 2016, 09:00 AM
Given the current state of decay in Brazil and Taurus pumping pistols out as fast as the boat can haul them to the US I am happy to hear so many good comments about their pistols. My experiences do not match the praise so I will watch this posting to see other positive comments on a pistol brand that i have given up as undesireable.

dieselbeef
July 30, 2016, 02:19 PM
well I was of the same thought path but I hadn't heard anything negative about this one and so far haven't had any myself altho limited use.
I have a taurus revolver also ..been ok but it aint no s/w

edrice
July 31, 2016, 04:19 PM
Well I was impressed enough with my first one that I just picked up another off GBroker. $209, not too shabby. Will have two of these for the price of one of my Smiths or Rugers. Hope to have the same experience as with the first one, which has been flawless.

Only downside is the trigger, which each time I pick it up I have to remind myself to pull past that wall. But it's quickly overcome and not a real problem.

dieselbeef
July 31, 2016, 05:54 PM
my trigger does seem long...but after the first few shots I don't notice it

dieselbeef
August 1, 2016, 05:35 PM
so after getting my pt111 for 199$ from deguns..awesome deal I gotta say....I get it out to the back yard and go thru a 100 box of whitebox..first 2 jammed going up the ramp..the rest were fine...decent enough I figure

so I give it to gage and he never even shot a semi auto before and he hits an 8*' plate at 40 ft 9 outta 12...awesome..super cool I thought

so we pound thru another 2 boxes of brown bear and they all ran right thru it....

cept for maybe gage can outshoot me with it it seems to be pretty decent...I mustve got lucky with my trigger cuz so far it aint bad

overall I give it a 7-8..cuz im just a revolver guy and this holster I got from fobus sucks..ive cut and ground it and trimmed it and so far I still hate it...but its new

PT-92
August 2, 2016, 03:38 PM
Incredible value in terms of a universally well received/reviewed firearm for $200. Used to be I would always recommend a Hi Point for anyone in dire financial states yet in need of affordable reliable protection. For $50 more I am now recommending the Taurus PT111 Mil Pro Gen 2 instead because of its much more user-friendly design (no offense to the C9's out there as I have one and love it (try their carbines and thank me later) but they are like little tanks and much more difficult to conceal than the Taurus.

jdeeregreen
August 2, 2016, 07:33 PM
dieselbeef, glad you like it. For the money they are great guns. Wish I still had mine.

franco45
August 4, 2016, 03:14 PM
I just got back from shooting my G2. Another 125 rounds without any negatives. I believe that puts me at about 500 rounds with no problems. I would concur that this is one of the best of the inexpensive handguns on the market.

slugchucker
August 7, 2016, 08:52 PM
Took recently purchased Taurus PT111 G2 Mil Pro to range for a "break in session". Shooting Federal 115 gr FMJ. Around the 240 rd mark, I noticed rear sight was drifting out of dovetail mill in slide. Closer inspection showed a tiny tiny tiny rear sight screw, part # 1.05, had decided to go spinning off into space, leaving that wonderful plastic rear sight free to move left and right. The pistol, up until that point, had no FTE's or FTF's. Nary a hiccup. Got home and did the internet research, found out I'm not alone with this problem! Taking dose of patience pill, calling Taurus Monday for replacement screw. Looks like Loctite warranted here as it was on my Glock MOS.

slugchucker
August 8, 2016, 10:59 AM
Follow up to post about missing rear sight screw. Contacted Taurus customer service 8-8-16 about a replacement for lost rear sight screw from new PT111 G2. Should receive two (2) sight screws, per my request, in 7-10 business days. No charge. Will follow up when rec'd and installed. PS, use the "chat" feature found on their web site to contact customer service. I was instantly connected and the process only took a few minutes. A transcript of my request was made available and printed. This was done while I waited on hold, on the phone, for a customer rep going on 45 minutes. So far so good.

slugchucker
August 12, 2016, 10:38 PM
Rec'd two (2) replacement screws, per request, from Taurus. Texted Taurus on 8-8-16, screws rec'd 8-12-16, free of charge. Installed tonight with loctite, range time Saturday. Great customer service from Taurus!

kristop64089
August 15, 2016, 06:50 AM
I'll throw in my .02...

I have had countless Taurus guns through the years. 2 PT-140's that would drop mags under recoil, PT-111s that would FTF/FTE consistantly.
Revolvers that wouldn't lock up or would jump time. I had my belly full of Taurus and their crap customer service.
UNTIL, one day is was in my LGS looking for another motorcycle carry gun to Summer carry besides my xds45. I saw the G2, and knew nothing about it. I asked to hold it, and was immediately impressed. I was then told of mag capacity, and that's a bigger bonus(13 rounds of 9mm in a package that feels like a Shield, actually better and definitely better than my XDS or PPS). Then I saw the price, I figured what the hell...EDC gun. Lightweight, feels good, plenty of firepower, easy to carry all day.
As far as the trigger, It's a carry gun and it's polymer, practice with it it as you should, and it's a moot argument.

Great gun for the money, in fact, better than other guns for more money.

wild cat mccane
August 15, 2016, 07:38 AM
Think of the PPQ single action trigger.

The trigger rests farther up than the reset. People are complaining that the initial pull, though completely devoid of weight, starts to far forward compared to where it breaks. This is entirely separate from the reset (which is short).