PDA

View Full Version : Aftec 1911 Extractor

Mike38
June 12, 2016, 07:42 PM
I did a search, didn't find much, and maybe my patience is thin today? :eek:
Has anyone tried an Aftec M1911 Extractor? How did it work out? Good or bad, let me know. Please, don't reply if you have never tried one. Thank you.

L-2
June 12, 2016, 08:45 PM
I couldn't figure it out and never could get it working right. After trying various extractors, for now, I'll stick with a Wilson "Bullet Proof" extractor:
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extractor-70-Series-45-ACP-Bullet-Proof-Blue/productinfo/415%2D70/

I know I can get them to work for my 1911s.

Aftec's instructions call for modifying a firing pin stop, which I tried, but must have failed. That then ruins a perfectly good part to add to money lost on the Aftec.

I included the Aftec and some extra parts with a 1911 I traded off. I don't know if the new owner ever had success with it or even tried it.

RickB
June 13, 2016, 10:25 AM
They used to be considered something of a must-have in USPSA competition. I really believe that the reason for their popularity was that they didn't need adjustment. I couldn't see replacing one robust part with multiple fiddly little parts.

Mike38
June 13, 2016, 05:13 PM
L-2, did you have failure to feed or failure to extract? If failure to feed, there is a youtube video that shows / explains the cure. Simply take out the forward coil spring and that puts less tension on the case rim.

RickB, so they worked, just a pain in the butt to install? I could see that, especially at a match being in a hurry for a quick repair job and having to fight four items instead of one.

Hunter Customs
June 13, 2016, 06:04 PM
At one time I built a lot of competition guns, most ran an Aftec extractor, never had any issues fitting them, always used both coil springs, no failure to feeds, extract or eject.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

scottys1
June 13, 2016, 09:39 PM
I put one in my Para-Ordnance P-16 when I was doing USPSA matches and shooting a lot of rounds.

Works fine, no issues, it's still in the gun.

Mike38
June 14, 2016, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered a Aftec extractor. I guess I've spent $80 on worse things, and maybe, just maybe it will work. In a couple weeks, I hope to give a report on it.

Hunter Customs
June 14, 2016, 09:37 PM
Follow the directions when fitting and you should not have any problems.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Mike38
July 2, 2016, 08:37 PM
Got the Aftec extractor installed on my 1911A1. Followed the instructions, taking all appropriate measurements, didn't have to do a thing except install it. No filing, sanding, nothing. Works fantastic. One thing though, the brass kind of just rolls out and drops about three feet at 2:00. A few times it felt like it rolled down the back of my right hand. Very light loads, 3.7 grains of Titegroup under a 200 grain LSWC. Might drop down from a 15 pound spring to a 14 pound just to kick it out a bit farther. Other than that, I'm very happy.