PDA

View Full Version : American Shooter episode (Gun ID)

PLASTIC SIG
May 22, 2000, 01:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me identify a gun i saw on last weeks "American Shooter" episode. The were doing a view on the reising 45 ACP sub gun. They switched back to a quick shot of someone shooting what they called "a less expensive grease gun" chambered in 45acp. The gun was small, kind of looked like a tec-9 but had a huge open chamber spitting out 45 shells like something you would see on "The Matrix"

Im not sure if it was a carbine of some sort or a full auto pistol, but it sure did look cool.(for the 3 seconds they showed it)

Did anyone see this mysterious grease gun? if so, who makes it? how old is it? and where can i get one ?

Thanks in advance.

Tim :)

------------------
Why dont you get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a glock. :::Tommy Lee Jones. U.S. Marshals:::

Rex Feral
May 22, 2000, 01:48 PM
Didn't see the episode, but it sounds like it was an M-3 or "grease gun" as they were referred to. They were designed as cheaper alternatives to the Thompson SMG, I think they went into service late '43 early '44.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

Rex Feral
May 22, 2000, 01:56 PM
If you want a legal semi-auto version try:
www.valkyriearms.com/m3.htm (http://www.valkyriearms.com/m3.htm)

StuWayne
May 22, 2000, 02:03 PM
Rex is right. The "Grease Gun" was the US military's successor to the Thompson, a .45 ACP subgun built for economy by widespread use of stamped parts and a bent-wire collapsable shoulder stock. It fired from an open breech and the "safety" was a projection on the hinged ejection port cover which blocked the bolt in the open position when the cover was closed. Full auto was its only mode, burst fire being controlled by quick application/release of the trigger finger.

The bolt itself was a big, heavy machined cylinder cycled by a relatively weak recoil spring. The inertia of this huge bolt contributed to the soft recoil of the gun. As I remember [it's been 40 years, guys], the gun tended to drift up and to the right on firing, with very little force felt at the shoulder. Just a mild counter-pull down and to the left was all that was needed to keep the gun hitting on target.

Stu

Steven Mace
May 22, 2000, 03:11 PM
Plastic Sig, you can also visit http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/grease.htm for some more information on the U.S. Grease Gun. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

beemerb
May 22, 2000, 03:23 PM
The best way to shoot one was taught to me by an old timer when I was in the army.Make a circle of with thumb and forefinger with your right hand(oppisite for leftys)and drop the mag into it.Do not grip it.As yopu fire the heavy bolt will bring the gun back down on the top of the circle.As long as you can keep your hand steady the rds will be on target.I watched him shoot a 30 rd burst useing this method at a target at 25 meters.You could cover the 30 rds with a playing card.I couldn't do that good but I could hold 30 rds into a shoulder sil. target a 25.
PS Slow rate of fire on it helps too.550 rpm

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain

David Scott
May 22, 2000, 03:58 PM
I was issued an M3 on one assignment (it's tough getting in and out of tracked, self-propelled air defense guns with a full length 16). It did pull high right, but was easy enough to keep down. Handy little piece.

We didn't often run off a full mag because they got hot quickly. Besides, a short 3 - 5 round burst would ruin an aggressor's day pretty thoroughly, and you had to conserve ammo for the next bad guy, and the next....

David Scott
May 22, 2000, 04:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Scott:
I was issued an M3 on one assignment (it's tough getting in and out of tracked, self-propelled air defense guns with a full length 16). It did pull high right, but was easy enough to keep down. Handy little piece.

No bolt handle, you had to flip up the cover over the ejection port and stick your finger in a hole in the bolt to cock it. We had one guy who had big hands and had to use his little finger when he had gloves on.

We didn't often run off a full mag because they got hot quickly. Besides, a short 3 - 5 round burst would ruin an aggressor's day pretty thoroughly, and you had to conserve ammo for the next bad guy, and the next....[/quote]

Guy B. Meredith
May 22, 2000, 09:15 PM
You can check back on episodes of American Shoote on www.AmericanShooter.com (http://www.AmericanShooter.com) (of course).

KML
May 22, 2000, 11:00 PM
Has anyone tried one of those semi-M3's.Just wondering how reliable they are,probable will never buy one but i have always thought of getting a semi-auto of a Thompson,M-3 or a Sten.Don't know why but always liked them ,maybe to many WWII movies and now all three are being made by different company's.

KEVIN

Rex Feral
May 23, 2000, 08:20 AM
I had lots of trigger time on a full-auto M3A1, IMHO it could have been one of the best guns ever created, but it was saddled with unreliable single stack magazines. They were HARD to load and the loading tool built into the folding stock was akward. When they were new and squeaky clean they functioned fine, but when they started getting worn or dirty they caused some feeding problems.

I have never used one of the semi versions, but they share the same mags, so I assume they would have the same problems.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.