PDA

View Full Version : 1st post 1st gun bought a PPQ: Why I chose it & why did/didn't you?

Aeon
June 5, 2016, 03:14 AM
First time gun buyer here and I wanted something for both my wife and I to train with. Keeping it simple I wanted to start with single action striker fired models. After shooting the Glock 19, Springfield XD, and S&W M&P I was impressed with all of them. I hear people get used to the silent trigger reset but for learning to shoot I wanted a great trigger out of the box so sorry no S&W for us. A quality trigger soon became the main focus followed by ergonomics then body style. Characteristics like mag size, modification options, and negligible differences in reliability, accuracy, availability of spare parts, etc. began to matter to me less and less as I did more research.
I could have gone either way on the 19 or XD, that is until I held and dry fired a Walther PPQ. The short trigger travel, smooth reset, and glove-like grip was almost an instant sell. A little research had me convinced by a large consensus that as a beginner out-of-the-box pistol this was one of the very best, if not THE best 9mm on the market. Not that I needed persuading. The gut instinct was strong. My motivation for research mainly came from the feelng "is this too good to be true?" So why isn't is marketed more? I've been informed that S&W handles all the Walther sales and distribution in the U.S., and while they don't keep it a secret, it doesn't exactly behoove them to push it and dilute the sales of their own similar models. Plus this hobby lends itself to modifications as a major selling point, and the Walther was not designed with a whole lot of customization options in mind as this isn't really a trending thing in Germany anyways.
While it's not without it's downsides (limited modification options, skinny front sight, and short trigger travel which raises some concerns for defense carry) I bought the gun without much second guessing and without even test firing. The soaring recommendations from both sales guys who happened to be holstering the PPQ helped too.
After a short 50 round target session I was pleased to find my groupings just as accurate as with the other "big 3 sellers". Trigger pressure was about the same as the others at just over 5 lbs but wow that reset and travel felt significantly higher end than the others. No mush or grit in the travel at all, almost a musical click on reset. I may have noticed a very slight increase in muzzle flip than the others but not enough to diminish my "back on target time". If a slight delay in retargeting occurred it was due to the smaller front sight that leaves gaps of light and space on each side that I admittedly found distracting. I'm not used to that. The sensation of increased muzzle flip may have just been a misperception too since it was my first time shooting it. I wouldn't say the recoil is more robust at all, I just think I need more rounds through it to get a better feel for nuances in weight, balance, and grip. I had similar experiences getting used to the 19 and XD. They all felt snappy and a tad bit wild at first.
I really think I made the right choice for what I was looking for and am excited to become familiar with this model. I'd love to hear other forum members chime in on their experiences and insights on this gun.

drobs
June 5, 2016, 05:38 AM
Have never tried one. Doubt I'll get the opportunity either. Just not that popular around here. I'm sure that gun should work just fine for you.

mrdaputer
June 5, 2016, 06:34 AM
Congrats on your Walther it is a fine choice. I fell for the glock hype :o and got the 19 didn't like it too much at all. I bought a XD 40 liked it a lot better. After I sold my glock I went to buy a XDM 9 mm. It was suggested to me to try the PPQ. I shot them both it was a tough choice so the next day I shot them both again lol. The ppq felt better and was more accurate. It seemed like the more I held it the more it wanted to be held. I really wanted the XD but the PPQ trigger is what sold me on it. I liked it so much I sold my XD 40 and got a PPQ 40. You are right it has arguably the best trigger right out of the box.

As far as the sights they are combat sights, I have since replaced mine with the TFX Pro. As far as muzzle flip? A properly held pistol shouldn't really have any at all. There is a Walther forum that has a lot of good ppl and info, you can Google it or PM me to get it. Happy safe and fun shooting with your new pistol. :D

45_auto
June 5, 2016, 07:08 AM
As far as muzzle flip? A properly held pistol shouldn't really have any at all.

Please describe (or provide a link to a description) of the "proper" way to hold a pistol that eliminates all muzzle flip.

rodfac
June 5, 2016, 07:32 AM
Welcome to the site, Aeon...pretty good first post, I'd say. Glad you like your Walther. Muzzle flip is part of shooting any pistol or revolver, and there is no 'grip' that will eliminate it...just a fact of physics and human anatomy. A firm hand grip on the stocks will minimize it to some extent, but won't eliminate it. Best Regards, Rod

mrdaputer
June 5, 2016, 07:46 AM
Sure glad to help out a fellow shooter. This will rid most muzzle flip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iQb8j_hXnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrA7wMXuuQ

This one explains it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t2bs_p8vJ8

I really like this one at about the 9 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dOVZ5TRCUw&feature=youtu.be

claydoctor
June 5, 2016, 06:05 PM
Before they changed the magazine release on the Walther , the cheaper S&W Shield seemed the better choice . Slightly more difficult decision today .

JDBerg
June 5, 2016, 06:26 PM
I have and like my own 2 Glocks but I recently picked up a Walther PPS M2 9mm, and I really like its out of the box reliability, and its sights and trigger. Overall I just like the way it shoots for me, considering I normally don't like small guns..

There is now plenty of worthy Glock competition that didn't exist when a lot of shooters started to get into Glocks. I think the PPQ and the PPS both hold up well with the Glocks and the current group of excellent newer striker-fired service pistols including the SIG P320 and the HK VP guns.

Bart Noir
June 5, 2016, 11:45 PM
Clay, the OP bought the PPQ, not the PPS. It is the PPS which should be compared to the Shield.

To Aeon, I also say welcome to TFL.

The PPQ has a great trigger and that is why I sold mine. Really. I felt it was too light and crisp to carry. It doesn't have a thumb safety which is available on some other guns.

I come from days of carrying a 1911 cocked and locked and hence consider the PPQ to almost be a cocked and unlocked gun.

So I stuck with the Walther P99 AS and can decock it for carry.

I just suggest you learn and maintain good control of the trigger finger and keep it off the trigger until ready to fire a shot. Safety always.

Bart Noir

claydoctor
June 6, 2016, 05:51 AM
What comes from not minding your "P's and Q's" .

doofus47
June 6, 2016, 02:38 PM
welcome aboard, Aeon.

claydoctor "What comes from not minding your 'P's and Q's'"?

Answer: "You get your AS" handed to you!"
LOL.
Like Bart Noir, I found the double action capability of the P99AS to be preferable to the 'always ready" PPQ. It's simply a choice based on having carried a DA/SA pistol (Makarov/SIG P6) for a while. I've never heard of anyone regretting having a PPQ, though, so I expect you'll be a happy customer as well.

Worc
June 6, 2016, 03:32 PM
I've been informed that S&W handles all the Walther sales and distribution in the U.S.
Not any longer. That changed at least a year ago with Walther USA handling it now.

I got a PPQ M1 in 9mm because of the ergonomics, trigger characteristics, and ambidextrous controls. What I got on top of it was excellent reliability and exceptional accuracy. I put it's trigger in the top out of the box striker models shared with only three others (HK VP9, Sig 320, & Steyr A1's). I don't think the reset is any more tactile than say a Glock's. It's quite a bit shorter like the Sig SRT. It is a smoother and little lighter pull and breaks much cleaner than say the Glock.

The PPQ changed my mind about striker models even though I still prefer DA/SA a little more.

P71pilot
June 6, 2016, 08:12 PM
I had a walther PPQ M2 in .40 with the cut rifling barrel. Loved that pistol. The stock sights are really its only negative trait. I replaced mine with dawson precisionsights which i highly recommend. About 500rds fired and zero malfinctions, accurate, ergonomic, qualoty made

Overkill777
June 6, 2016, 09:17 PM
I like walther pistols but I have never owned one. I really like the ppq and if I buy another plastic striker fired pistol it will probably be the ppq.

That said I got a Glock 19 just because they are the industry standard. The Glock excels in so many areas; legendary long term reliability and durability, massive aftermarket support and parts availability, more holster options than any other firearm, cheap and plentiful magazines, just to name a few.

Some people consider the trigger a downside.
I used to be a 1911 guy trigger snob but I eventually learned that a really fine trigger can be a crutch that covers up lacking skills. The trigger is not designed to be a good target trigger but in my opinion it is just right for a defense weapon.

I want to be clear, I don't think the glock is perfect, or the best firearm, but it has some nice advantages. I was just answering the op in why I made my decision. That said, I think you made a great choice in the ppq, I'm sure it will serve you well.

ballardw
June 6, 2016, 10:15 PM
Why not?
How about several other double-stack 9mm's that satisfied that particular "need".

ritepath
June 7, 2016, 09:20 AM
I like striker fired for conceal carry, mainly because there's not a Shield or G2 sized hammer fired pistol that's in my budget.

As for my HD and Fun range guns I'm a SA/DA fan. I suppose two striker fired pistols are all I need or ever want.

I never got hung up on trigger or reset BS, I just shoot the pistol until I'm good.

Chase4933
June 7, 2016, 07:53 PM
I have a Glock G26, G21 and PPQ M2. All have strengths and weeknesses, the PPQ is a great pistol. Rock solid and has a great grip and trigger. While I prefer my Glock, I do love the Walther and it is a keeper.

lechiffre
June 8, 2016, 03:59 PM
The PPQ changed my mind about striker models even though I still prefer DA/SA a little more.

You should try a Walther P99.

It's like a DA/SA PPQ.

Fishbed77
June 9, 2016, 08:02 AM
You should try a Walther P99.

It's like a DA/SA PPQ.

Indeed. To date, it's the only striker-fired gun I've ever shot that has a better trigger feel than the PPQ.

doofus47
June 9, 2016, 09:58 AM
Fishbed77 it's the only striker-fired gun I've ever shot that has a better trigger feel than the PPQ.

Double indeed. I handed it to a buddy of mine who has a custom Glock trigger and he did the TV sticom double-take when he first pulled the SA trigger on my stock p99.