PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Cool Gesture On Kimber's Part

turkeestalker
May 2, 2016, 05:28 PM
I've posted in another thread where I recently ran into a Kimber identical to one that I already own at a local pawn shop, where the owner offered to knock $100 off his price for me if I was interested. Nice gesture as I do a lot of business with them.
Color me still not yet grown up in my early 50s, but the thought of having matching 45s and a double shoulder rig to play with on range day was too great of a temptation and I put it in layaway.

I'd been thinking about needing an ambi-safety on which ever pistol would be in my left hand. I tried using my index finger to operate the standard safety and it's just too awkward for me as a 'righty'. I decided that if I am going to do it, I'd just as well install one on both pistols so that it wouldn't matter which were in what ever hand. They would be the same.

Researching it I have read about the tendency of the Kimber ambi-safeties to endure failures of the right side lever shearing off. I stumbled onto the following video regarding that issue and the maker of the video's theory as to why. I don't know if he's right or he's wrong, but I do see some logic behind what he is saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8nptgP8Npw

I ordered a couple of the ambi-safeties from Kimber last week and received them in today's mail. I installed one on my original pistol and realized that what the fella said in his video was correct with the longer right side lever. In fact here is a photo of the mark left on the top of the right side grip by it making contact. I circled the spot with red.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=101933&stc=1&d=1462225725

I called Kimber CS to talk with them about it. The gentleman that I spoke with said that he had not heard of that possible cause for breakage but could see the logic in the theory. Without me saying anything further, he offered to send me a bobbed right side only to experiment with and see how it worked out, free of charge.

Now I'm not saying that it will work out, but who knows. I've a feeling that eventually the safety will fail regardless if it's used very much at all.

What I am saying is that I think it was a pretty cool gesture on Kimber's part and I'm impressed.

P71pilot
May 2, 2016, 09:00 PM
That is pretty cool of that employee of kimber to do that.

But if it where me I would have ordered a set of slightly higher quality parts. The kimber safeties probably wouldn't shear if they were a stronger or harder metal.

I am going to be replacing the ambi safety on my 1911 with a righty only Gi style safety, and you can bet your dollar that I won't be getting it from the manufacturer of my pistol.

I guess if I ever have to use my left hand to use my 1911 I just will leave the safety off and watch my trigger finger.

turkeestalker
May 11, 2016, 03:52 PM
I received the bobbed safety lever from Kimber in just three days. It was a piece of cake to install it and no contact what so ever with the grip any longer.
I contacted the same CS representative via e-mail to thank him and let him know that I wanted to go ahead and order a second for the other pistol.
He refused to take my CC number and again insisted on sending it no charge.
Once again I have to say, 'pretty cool' on the part of Kimber.

michael t
May 11, 2016, 06:40 PM
Buy good after market ambi . Iam not talking the 50 to $60 ones. I have went thru several of them . Wilson has one around $150 that should last a while.

dakota1911
May 12, 2016, 11:49 AM
I am lucky enough to where I can just reach over with my thumb and flip off the safety when I shoot with my weak left hand. I have also thought about the double holster. I have a couple pre 80 Series Combat Commanders......

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e193/dakota1911/bang2/2_Commanders_d_zpsmmd4mxuf.jpg (http://s39.photobucket.com/user/dakota1911/media/bang2/2_Commanders_d_zpsmmd4mxuf.jpg.html)

rt11002003
May 12, 2016, 04:16 PM
I'm a lefty, in a world of righties. I was forced to adapt, or do without, many things most people take for granted.

Two years ago, I started regular shooting sessions, twice a week. Found a tremor in my left hand. At 10', on a 12 inch target; no problem, I could hit it. Just barely. Switched to my right hand. I now shoot better right handed than I ever did left handed.

But, my muscle memory is confused when with dealing safeties, mag releases and slide locks. It's a good thing I have two hands. Now, both hands can do everything.:D