PDA

View Full Version : Shooting platform distance from target question

shall1000
April 29, 2016, 09:43 AM
I am building a shooting platform and wanted to see what everyone thought on my options for distance.

The max distance I can put the platform from the target is about 80-85 yards, however I was thinking that it may be better to place it at 75 yards to make sight adjustments easier. I would love to place it at 100 yards but that just gets too close to the road. I may be able to extend the distance in the future, but that would entail rebuilding my bullet trap (giant hill of dirt that I would rather not move).

What are your thought on distance? max distance possible or easy distance increment for sighting in.

Art Eatman
April 29, 2016, 10:34 AM
I've always begun sight-in at 25 yards. Dead on, there, is about three inches high--more or less--at 100 yards, and commonly within a couple of inches in lateral dispersion. That's for a typical bolt action with a low-mount scope.

For an AR with irons, I go for two inches low at 25 yards.

I then adjust for two inches high at 100 yards, which for most "deer cartridges" is roughly dead-on at 200 yards.

Just off the cuff, since my deal would have the bullet still rising very slightly at only 75 or 85 yards, I'd adjust to about 1.5 to 1.75 inches high.

Note that I'm a hunter, not a paper puncher. :)

Mobuck
April 30, 2016, 06:19 AM
It really doesn't make much diff. If you can't reach the 100 yards, all the printed range charts will be off anyway. I have 25, 50, and 100 yard butts. The 25 and 50 are just right for rimfire and initial sight-in. Most of the centerfire use is the 100 yard butt and it gets pounded hard.
FYI Just making a pile of dirt isn't the best option. It will turn into a pile of mud soon and wash away. Better use something on the sides and back to hold the dirt in a more structured shape.

Jimro
April 30, 2016, 11:06 AM
If you are considering changing your range to make the math easier...

Get better at math, make the range the longest you can.

Jimro

tangolima
April 30, 2016, 11:19 AM
I'd have 25 yd, or at least it is one of the target distances. It is useful for getting shots on paper. You will need to shoot the real distance for true zeroing. All the math or table are based on certain assumptions. They need verification and adjustment to be trustworthy in the field.

-TL

shall1000
May 1, 2016, 01:07 PM
FYI Just making a pile of dirt isn't the best option. It will turn into a pile of mud soon and wash away.

it is covered in grass and been there at least 10 years. Not going to wash away anytime soon.

shall1000
May 1, 2016, 01:17 PM
It really doesn't make much diff. If you can't reach the 100 yards, all the printed range charts will be off anyway.

If you are considering changing your range to make the math easier...

Get better at math, make the range the longest you can.

Good points, I will see how far i can move the platform back and then maybe move the stationary target back to 100 yards in the future. The only reason we didn't make it 100 yards in the first place is because where it sits now if a bullet goes over my backstop or if someone fires a shot astray it will ultimately hit a hill that is behind it. At 100 yards it will be at the top of the hill.

I do also have a number of target sleds and metal targets that i can move to any distance from the stationary target to the platform so shooting less distance is easy.