PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions for a New Gun!!!

Rangerrich99
March 18, 2016, 07:54 PM
Okay, here's the deal:

Maybe I have too much time and money on my hands right now, since I've finished paying the 'guvmint their extortion money,' but I'm thinking about getting another gun.

The problem is that I'd already decided on only buying two guns this year, and according to the boss, that's a hard and fast limit, so one of my original choices has to wait until next year. If I go forward with this idea, that is.

Anyway . . .

Here's my basic parameters as I see it right now:

1. Semi-auto
2. Reliable as the sun coming up in the east
3. 9 mm
4. Compact (? about Glock 19 or 1911 commander size)
5. Usable as a CCW, but will mostly be an OWB gun
6. Reputable manufacturer with good CS
7. Less than $600 (under $500 would be nice)
8. No DAOs

There's a couple more, but those are the 8 'hard and fast' rules so far. The guns that fit these parameters that I've shot are the Glock 19 (2nd gen I think), S&W 3913, Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm Compact, and SA XDM-9mm. I have only shot these pistols, I don't own any of them.

I know, two of those are DA/SA guns, and the other two are striker-fired. Honestly, I haven't decided which I'd rather have yet. I know that in general I'm not a fan of DA/SA guns, to the point that last year I almost sold off/gave away every DA/SA gun I own. But I like my Sig P229 so much I couldn't let that one go, and the Storm is so ridiculously reliable, it survived the cut as well. But their both .40s, and for whatever reason I want an almost full-size wundernine in the stable.

So, let me have it, people. I'm open to nearly any and all suggestions. I need some ideas so I can get to some serious researching!

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

cslinger
March 18, 2016, 08:05 PM
So no da/SA basically
Compact but not subcompact
Reliable
Good CS
Middle price

Sounds a lot like a Glock 19. Other contenders might be......
SIG 320c
Walther PPQ
Maybe a HK VP9 they carry smaller then you would think

March 18, 2016, 08:09 PM
CZ 75 compact. I believe it fills all those requirements. Probably my favorite guns, and I have Sigs. and Glocks also.

jmhyer
March 18, 2016, 08:09 PM
FNS9c, VP9, M&P9c

Rangerrich99
March 18, 2016, 08:17 PM
@cslinger;

I won't totally rule out a DA/SA pistol, so if you guys have a suggestion, I'd like to hear it. But let's just say, it'd have to be a truly superior trigger for me to consider it. For example, a relatively short DA pull, crisp break, and short SA reset.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. If you don't mind, when you list your possibilities, could you include at least one thing about the guns that you really like about them? Understand that I know almost nothing about the CZ-75 or the VP9. If you tell me the best thing about a VP9 and I don't get a chance to rent/shoot one, I'll at least know something more about it than, "it's a good gun."

Thanks.

K_Mac
March 18, 2016, 08:30 PM
Ruger SR9c meets all your specs. I have several thousand rounds through mine with no problems. I am more accurate with it than anything I have shot. I carry it daily and while there are many others in its class, some costing much more, I wouldn't trade for any of them.

JDBerg
March 18, 2016, 10:05 PM
I'm waiting (patiently) for my old bud to sell me his LNIB S&W 3913 TSW. That really is the only way to find a nice one these days.

I'd recommend You look at a CZ P-01 Omega, with the interchangeable safety / decocker. Almost as hard to find as a 3913 TSW.

http://cdn.cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/15z_CZP01OmegaSwappable_L_91229_01229.png

Worc
March 18, 2016, 10:07 PM
Quite a few good ones to choose from in your price range.

Striker: FN FNS, HK VP9, Sig 320, S&W M&P, Steyr M9-A1, Walther PPQ.

Striker DA/SA: Walther P-99AS.

DA/SA: CZ P-07, Sig 2022.

DAO: Sig 250, Walther PPX.

Rangerrich99
March 18, 2016, 10:19 PM
@JDBerg;

I'm in a similar boat; every time I see my buddy's 3913 I jokingly tell him to leave that one to me in his will . . .

@Worc;

Just took a pic of your list; we'll see how many of those I can rent over the next two or three weeks.

I should've said this in my OP: not interested in DAOs. Unless the trigger pull is under 8 lbs.

weblance
March 19, 2016, 11:57 AM
+1 on the Ruger SR9c. I took one in on trade, and its excellent. Its one of those pistols that will drill the center of the target all day long. It will make you look like an expert shooter, if you do your part. It has an excellent trigger, and has been 100% reliable for me.

rt11002003
March 19, 2016, 12:01 PM
Let me suggest the HK p30sk V1 w/decocker (or w/safety version, if you prefer.) A nice small 9mm, accurate, light recoil and DA/SA. I picked mine up for $535.

A shooting buddy bought a CZ compact 9mm a month, or so ago. I can't remember the model. But, it was nice to shoot and less than $500.

gregstudeny
March 19, 2016, 12:39 PM
Canik TP9

orsogato
March 19, 2016, 05:42 PM
Glock 19

Rogervzv
March 19, 2016, 07:19 PM
I'll second the Ruger SR9c although I personally went with the Ruger SR40c as I like the 40S&W caliber.

The M&P Shield 9mm is a great pistola.

The CZ75B is a fine pistola in either 9mm or (as I have) 40S&W.

CZ75B in 40S&W:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/Gun%20Stuff%202/Pistols/DSC_2054_zps658121c1.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Roger54/media/Gun%20Stuff/Gun%20Stuff%202/Pistols/DSC_2054_zps658121c1.jpg.html)

sigarms228
March 19, 2016, 07:54 PM
Sounds a lot like a Glock 19. Other contenders might be......
SIG 320c
Walther PPQ
Maybe a HK VP9 they carry smaller then you would think

My thoughts also. A big bonus with the SIG P320C is that it will fit and work perfectly on the subcompact frame and holsters are made for such. I tried a P320C 9MM today as was very impressed with it.

9mmhpfan
March 19, 2016, 08:05 PM
Steyr M9A1 - Comes with 4 inch Barrel. The Grip angle is copied off the Lugers 111 degree grip which makes it a natural pointer. Because of the grip angle there is a nice area for the web of your hand to sit very deeply which makes it super comfortable. Heavy front end helps control muzzle flip and helps with recoil control. Recessed areas for your thumb on the grips for either hand. Sights are dovetailed in so if you want to replace them you don't have to pay to have dovetails machined in the slide to do so. extremely low bore axis which helps reduce recoil. conventional rifled barrel so you can shoot lead reloads if you want. Extremely easy take down, uses lever. Spots on side of frame for index finger and support thumb. ( very low down on frame so you don't have to worry about your thumb getting run over by slide.) Check Glock's recessed area on frame for support thumb, not much room there esp if have big thumbs. Trapezoid close combat sights offer good sight picture for combat distances, not so much good for longer range shooting. Over sized trigger guard allows use of gloved hands. Hope this was detailed enough. When was first introduced in 1999 the marketing was that it made a 9MM Parabellum feel like 22. long rifle. And a 40S&W was supposed to have the recoil of a 9MM Parabellum. They may have exaggerated just a tad.

Flytyingguy1
March 19, 2016, 08:11 PM
I tell you how I feel , your the only one who can answer that question! What's good for me may not be good for you. It's your money & your the one who will be using it. You have to be comfortable with it no one else. I suggest you go to gun shop who has the guns you are interested in.mhandle them,feel how the fit in "Your" hands & possibly check out a range that rent some of these guns. Shoot a couple then decide how" you " feel. Good luck.

EIGHTYDUECE
March 19, 2016, 08:15 PM
I just purchased a CZ-75 Compact last week and plan on using it as my main CCW as soon as I get my Milt Sparks SS2 holster this summer. It is the size of the Glock 19 but DA/SA and steel framed. It is also the same size as one of my favorite handguns, the Sig 225, but holds more ammo. It is slimmer than the pistols that you mention, which will be a good thing for OWB carry. It is thin like a 1911. The CZ-75 D PCR is the lighter alloy frame version of this gun if weight is an issue. If you need a rail, the CZ P01 is the same.

The Beretta PX4 Compact is also very nice and I can give the nod for it. It is a bit thicker in the slide, but still doable. Nice gun.

The Glock is first rate and would fit the bill. I'm not a huge striker fan, but you may be. Great gun. Same goes for the SA XD series guns.

Good luck with your search and we look forward to pictures when you make your purchase :)

Water-Man
March 19, 2016, 11:39 PM
Sig P320 Compact.

Model12Win
March 19, 2016, 11:43 PM
Glock 19 Gen 3 (not Gen 4).

That's what the U.S. Navy SEALs are going with.

That should tell you everything you need to know right there.

CWKahrFan
March 20, 2016, 07:07 AM
Since cost is a factor, I'm going to add that the versatility of the economic Ruger SR9c - with it's two grip-magazine configurations - is an important feature. It's really like having two guns... one smaller for everyday carry... and one full-size for range or house-gun or car-gun. They are nifty and Ruger-rugged.

Nathan
March 20, 2016, 08:37 AM
My choices by order:
XD9 - great trigger action for a striker fired gun; good grip angle/feel; excellent mags; quite accurate IMO; feeds ANYTHING; good aftermarket support parts/holsters

CZ75 SAO - pretty good SAO trigger; great grip angle/feel; excellent mags; quite accurate IMO; feeds ANYTHING; OK aftermarket support parts/holsters

Glock 19 - good trigger action for a striker fired gun; gen 4 grip feels good, but angle is hard to get us to; good enough mags; Accuracy ok; feeds ANYTHING; excellent aftermarket support parts/holsters

FNS9 - pretty good trigger action for a striker fired gun; excellent grip angle/feel; excellent mags; Don't know accuracy wise; I don't know about reliability, but people say it is reliable; ok aftermarket support holsters/no parts available

I would buy any of those 4. The grip on the FNS would likely be too long for me.

Spats McGee
March 20, 2016, 10:39 AM
. . . . Here's my basic parameters as I see it right now:

1. Semi-auto
2. Reliable as the sun coming up in the east
3. 9 mm
4. Compact (? about Glock 19 or 1911 commander size)
5. Usable as a CCW, but will mostly be an OWB gun
6. Reputable manufacturer with good CS
7. Less than $600 (under $500 would be nice)
8. No DAOs
The compact 9mm market is crowded with good pistols. To my mind, it's the Goldilocks size of pistols. Not too big, not too small, but just right. G19, M&P, SR9c, P320, CZs, XD . . . the list really does go on and on. The only one of the bunch that I own is a Gen 4 G19 that I bought about 3 years ago. I did have one small hiccup when the slide lock spring broke, but I fixed that with a $3 part and a YouTube video. (And if I can fix it, anyone can.) She eats every kind of ammo I feed her. Aftermarket support is ridiculous. If someone makes a widget, they make the widget for a Glock. I'm sure she's capable of better accuracy than I am.

I'm not knocking the other guns. I'm pretty confident that if I'd bought something else, it would have served me just fine. And truth be told, if I were buying today, that P320 would be high on my list. That said, I'm very happy with my choice. I've thought about swapping for something else from time to time, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

Rangerrich99
March 20, 2016, 07:51 PM
Hey thanks guys for all the replies. And yes, I know there are dozens of guns that fit my parameters, which is exactly the problem. I couldn't rent all the guns that fit in this 'category,' I figured I'd use your input to narrow the field a bit.

So far, it seems that the Glock 19, Sig p320, and CZ-75 are leading the vote. To be honest, that CZ-75 intrigues me. Can you still get that gun NIB, or would I have to go the used route (doesn't bother me, but would be nice to know)?

CWKahrFan
March 20, 2016, 09:03 PM
click:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_82/Handguns/CZ-USA

P71pilot
March 20, 2016, 09:08 PM
Walther PPQ m2
CzP07
Cz75

RockDTMC
March 21, 2016, 11:40 AM
CZ 75 PCR

You're welcome. ;)

Pistola Pedro
March 21, 2016, 02:57 PM
A lot of good options already listed here and I would look at all of them. Simply because you said you would carry a DA/SA if it had a good trigger, I would throw in the Grand Power P11. It has the best factory trigger out of all of the guns mentioned. I have owned most of the guns mentioned and can honestly tell you that the TRIGGER on the P11 smokes them all (even the PPQ). Whether or not you love the gun is up to you.
Recently I went shooting with mine and was doing double taps and hitting .11 splits at 5 yards with very close hits. It's a shooter.

Pond, James Pond
March 21, 2016, 03:38 PM
Predictably I'm going to suggest one of the CZ compacts (metal or polymer), or the Sig P2022...

ADK_mechEtech
March 21, 2016, 06:20 PM
I'll throw in my $0.02....

CZ 2075 RAMI. The non-decocker version (SA/DA). It was my first gun and still currently my carry piece. A little heavier than others but still comfortable in a DeSantis pancake holster. It's stupid accurate for a 3" barrel and I have had zero issues in 1000s of rounds. I picked up mine used for $450.

Rangerrich99
March 21, 2016, 10:34 PM
Okay, a quick update here:

I was running around doing a few errands today, and happened to drive by Shooter's World (indoor range) on the way to lunch. Somehow I ended up inside and accidentally rented a Glock 19 (3rd Gen) and a CZ-75 (b?).

Here are my initial impressions: the CZ had the better trigger pull once I got it into SA mode. The DA pull was very heavy and long. It was smooth though. Also, once I started shooting beyond 10 yards, the CZ was easier to shoot accurately (in SA; I chose not to try the DA pull at 15 yards). At 5, 7 and 10 yards the Glock and the CZ were basically as accurate as the other. The CZ also had a longer reset I think, and I managed to short stroke it three times through five magazines. I only short stroked the Glock once.

Surprisingly, I shot the Glock pretty well.

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12439398_10208636116757523_1961343288158907798_n.jpg?oh=591ccf666737783369fdde0b9a35eabe&oe=574BCE46

To understand what's going on here, you have to realize that I turned the target upside down when I moved it out to 10 yards. So, The two lower squares on the left in the picture are the groups I shot with the Glock; the small square was 5 yards, the larger square was 7. The two lower squares on the right were the CZ. Then I turned the target upside down (as shown in the pic) so now the Glock group is on the right and the CZ shots are on the left.

I worked it like that because I didn't want to shoot down at a square, so to get a more level target, I turned the thing over.

Anyway, as you can see, both guns shot about the same size groups (10-rounds, slow fire). I had one flier, obviously, which is the high round on the left. It was a bit warm in there and my hands were getting a little sweaty, and I tried that one DA.

Neither weapon had a failure of any kind, and both were pretty easy to point and shoot. The CZ felt better in my hand, in spite of the extra weight. However, the Glock wins that round in my mind, as the CZ DA trigger pull was not shooter friendly, and the Glock had only one short stroke episode.

Till1 the next rental session.

P.S. I know, the groups are a bit large, but at least with the CZ, I'd never handled one before today, so I'm giving myself a little bit of the benefit of the doubt. As for the Glock, I've never been able to shoot one with consistent accuracy.

Honowahoo
March 22, 2016, 02:05 PM
You can't go wrong with a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c, its reliable and there are plenty of after market accessories and parts for it.

Pond, James Pond
March 22, 2016, 03:08 PM
Somehow I ended up inside and accidentally rented a Glock 19 (3rd Gen) and a CZ-75 (b?)

Why a Glock?

I've nothing against them, but I thought you said no DAOs and I thought that was what a Glock was: DAO!

Change of heart?

Rangerrich99
March 22, 2016, 03:55 PM
Why a Glock?

I've nothing against them, but I thought you said no DAOs and I thought that was what a Glock was: DAO!

Change of heart?

Hey Mr. Pond;

Technically I believe Glocks are striker-fired or 'Safe-Action' pistols. Which, though I'm not a fan of striker-fired, I can live with as most of them are between 5-8 lbs. of trigger weight.

DAOs, like on my S&W hammerless J-frame tend to have heavy trigger pulls and though I'm pretty good with my DA revolvers, I'd just rather not have to learn the intrinsic quirks of a DAO semi-auto.

Also, I chose to rent the Glock, as they have always been very popular (nearly all of my shooting buddies have one), as a kind of control.

Spats McGee
March 22, 2016, 04:05 PM
I'm glad that you got to shoot those two side by side. I have to say, though, that this is my favorite part of the post:
I was running around doing a few errands today, and happened to drive by Shooter's World (indoor range) on the way to lunch. Somehow I ended up inside and accidentally rented a Glock 19 (3rd Gen) and a CZ-75 (b?). . . .
I keep trying to use that excuse with Mrs. McGee, but she quit believing that a long time ago. Run with it while you can! :D

Rangerrich99
March 22, 2016, 04:25 PM
Hey Spats;

Yeah, most of the time it doesn't work that well for me either. Doesn't stop me from trying to use it every once in a while, though. It does work slightly better than, "but honey, I was abducted by aliens, and they used mind control, and then . . . "

That only worked once. So far, anyway.

I did tell myself that I only was going to check out a couple holsters and maybe price some ammo, but I knew one of the guys at the rental counter, and he called me over. The rest strangely is a blur . . .

P-35HP
March 22, 2016, 06:37 PM
Just posted this in response to a similar inquiry.
In my opinion, the Jericho PSL Mid Size Poly would be a very good option.
Any modern CZ made pistol, compact or the full size version of it, is an amazing SD gun.
FN/Browning Hi Power is an outstanding full size pistol, can be easily carried concealed, but it is a single action, so...

From www. iwi.us:

Jericho PSL, Mid-Size Polymer

First introduced in the US in 1990, the Jericho 941 has enjoyed wide acceptance by American shooters over the last 25 years. Based on the highly regarded CZ-75 short recoil system, Jericho pistols combine proven design and function with IWI's exceptionally high standards for reliable performance, accuracy and quality construction.

The Jericho features a frame mounted safety enabling "condition one" cocked and locked carry and single action function or hammer down double action function. Additional features include an integral Picatinny rail for mounting accessories, adjustable dovetailed sights, a firing pin block and a loaded chamber indicator. Barrels are cold hammer forged of the finest Mil-Spec CrMoV steel.

Each Jericho 941 comes with two standard capacity magazines or two 10 round magazines for consumers who reside in states with magazine capacity restrictions. No models will be available for CA or MA.
Caliber 9mm Para (9x19mm) or .40 S&W
Action Semi-auto
Operating System Short Recoil
Magazine Type IWI, Steel
Magazine Capacity 2-16 round 9mm; 2-12 round .40S&W
Barrel Type Cold hammer forged, CrMoV
Barrel Length 3.8"
Overall Length 7.6"
Weight 1.6 lbs.
Rifling 9mm 1:10 RH; .40S&W 1:16 RH
Grip Color Black
Sights Adjustable Sights
Restricted States Not available in CA or MA. 2-10 round mags for capacity restricted states.
Optional Equipment N/A
MSRP - $559.00
http://www.iwi.us/iwi/media/products/Jericho-PSL.jpg

Skeets
March 24, 2016, 07:27 PM
Really happy,100% pleased with pair of Ruger LC9S's.Bought at 1st release:D

rugmar
March 25, 2016, 08:03 AM
If I wanted exactly the things you stated I would save up just a bit more money and go with a Sig P239.

TfflHndn
March 25, 2016, 02:43 PM
Another vote for the Ruger SR9c. May also want to look at the Stoeger Cougar. It's a Beretta for hundreds less.

Rangerrich99
April 18, 2016, 12:55 AM
Okay guys, after much research, renting, musing, etc. I finally made a decision.

I won't bore everyone with all the details of this journey; instead I'll just go ahead and post a pic of the winner:

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12985384_10208915555623320_5073066642492222955_n.jpg?oh=16df49ccbe20a8fe41b8ad3c6242dcb1&oe=577826FF

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12994390_10208915526702597_8013416081703727769_n.jpg?oh=f5a1ed7e9ff1eb1040c85ceb3b68101e&oe=57B323CC
I'm pretty happy with my final choice, and in direct competition, the G19 did win 3 of the head-to-head comparos at the range. The runner-up for me was the S&W M&PC, and it was very close.

I actually had a lot of fun trying out all these guns: FN FNS9, HK VP9, S&W M&P, Walther PPQ, SA XDM 9, and Ruger SR9C. I didn't find a Sig 320 to rent or the Steyr, but I feel I got plenty of information for my time and money anyway.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you guys the update, as well as thank everyone for their input.

Now I get to break 'er in . . .

Spats McGee
April 18, 2016, 05:35 AM
Congratulations on New Gun Day! Shoot that G19 in good health.

Roland Thunder
April 18, 2016, 11:29 AM
I see a Walther PPQ in your very near future