PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my first Gun safe

DougB.
February 28, 2016, 01:39 PM
I am looking for my first gun safe, i have a budget of 2k and i am seeking a good safe, have been researching it online for a while, there are a couple of safes that jumped at me but i am leaning towered this one.

http://www.discounthomeoffice.com/Discount-Fire-Theft-Safes/Cobalt-Safes/Diamond-Back-39-Gun-Safe-DB5939H

WEIGHT lbs(approx): 935 lbs.
FIRE RATING: 2 Hours @1875°F
MAX LONG GUNS: 39.
9 Gauge Steel Body with 1/4” Thick Steel Plate Door.

And the price is below my budget including delivery

Any Thoughts. Thank you.

Doug

Dufus
February 28, 2016, 01:57 PM
I don't understand what you need help with. You found a goodun'. Go for it.

Better hurry....the sale ends today.

Dufus
February 28, 2016, 01:58 PM
For got to add that you might need help moving it.

Coop204
February 28, 2016, 02:10 PM
Hello! Couple things I like about my safe choice is the 72" height, for more shelf space . I was told by many people to buy one to fit twice as many guns as you need or more if you have a lot of scoped models. I ended up with the Heritage 52gun, and I am satisfied so far. I need an ammo safe now, to complete my setup. Good luck on your quest, as there are a lot nice safes and features to choose from. I am sure others will chime with good info also. Coop

DougB.
February 28, 2016, 02:30 PM
Thanks @Dufus and @Coop204, i needed an expert opinion that will make feel better if the safe as good as i think and also have someone to blame if it is not. Thanks Guys, i am going for it in a couple of hours.

Doug

ms6852
February 28, 2016, 02:39 PM
My only other suggestion or recommendation I would make is this, get a bigger one than you think you need because you will run out of space quickly as you purchase more guns and rifles through out your life and your wife's jewelry, lap top and important papers take space. I also lock up my high end spotting scope, and custom knives, etc.

kilimanjaro
February 28, 2016, 03:03 PM
Second the motion to buy the largest safe you can afford, once you select the make. You will grow into it, no doubt about it. Even if you never buy another gun, your wife will want her goodies in there, you've got cameras, documents, passports, hard drives, all kinds of stuff.

I'll go so far as to say, once you get the largest safe you can afford, when the sale comes around again next year, get another one.

DougB.
February 28, 2016, 03:11 PM
I know every thing is big in Texas and might as well make the gun safe bigger, they do have the same brand and features gun safe with bigger storage, is that big enough? it ought be, i am spending more than i budgeted but i was thinking about some of the earlier comments i think it was mad by @Coop204 about getting a bigger gun safe.

WEIGHT lbs(approx): 1252 lbs.
FIRE RATING: 2 Hours @1875°F
MAX LONG GUNS: 45
INTERIOR CAPACITY: 30.3 Cubic Ft.

http://www.discounthomeoffice.com/Discount-Fire-Theft-Safes/Cobalt-Safes/Diamond-Back-45-Gun-Safe-DB7242H

@Dufus, I will need big help moving this.

bamaranger
February 29, 2016, 03:10 AM
Here's a tip. Get a bigger one than you think you need. As time goes buy, hopefully, you will acquire more guns.

Additionally, stuff from the house will find its way in YOUR safe as well, jewelry, papers, knives etc.....and then its full.

Blindstitch
February 29, 2016, 04:02 AM
Yep bigger is always better.

Like an idiot I bought one to ease my wifes mind of not having guns sitting around. At that point I had 3-5 so I bought a 10 gun safe. Now I have 18 guns. A lot changed in 3 years. It's like gun origami now. Rifles facing up, shotguns facing down, pistols on the shelf.

hooligan1
February 29, 2016, 06:50 AM
Blinds tithe is right, get a bigger one than you need, I can't get all my guns in my safe, I should've got a bigger one.
It says 24 long guns but that would be without scopes!

Eazyeach
February 29, 2016, 07:01 AM
Get a rifle rods kit. It allows you to set your long guns in much more efficiently. Velcro tipped rods are placed in the barrels. Then you put Velcro on the underside of the shelf above. I've used them for about a year and I love it. I have a 24 gun safe and I can get 13 long guns in one side. 4 of which are scoped AR 15s.

oldscot3
February 29, 2016, 08:31 PM
Here's a tip for moving it... hardwood dowels of about 5/8ths or 3/4s of an inch. Once it's off the pallet, get the dowels under it and you can push it around by yourself.

TXAZ
February 29, 2016, 08:48 PM
Bingo on the bigger than you think you need.

We bought a much larger safe than we thought we needed in January, and that was clearly the right move. Previously we had 2 much smaller safes.
Now it has all the paper, sterling sliverware, and some keepsakes. With lots of room left over for more.

Considering the small difference in price in a medium and large safe, if you have the room, go big.

Sure Shot Mc Gee
February 29, 2016, 11:34 PM
My choice. National Security safes by Liberty.
Like the front door to a home. A superior made safe has to provide security, protection from the elements, design & mechanics beyond their competitors best, pleasing to the eye aesthetics for the Lady's, a long established reputation for great customer service second to none. As far as I'm concerned National Security has always been the Best at having those requirement.

DougB.
March 14, 2016, 02:11 AM
Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and suggestions.
I picked the second safe Diamond Back 45 Gun Safe DB7242H (http://www.discounthomeoffice.com/Discount-Fire-Theft-Safes/Cobalt-Safes/Diamond-Back-Large-Gun-Fireproof-Safe-45-Gun-Safe-DB7242H), I picked it for it size, weight and strength.

It has been received and put in the perfect place for it, all i need now is to fill it up with guns, just kidding, how many guns a person need? I am using the extra space to store other valuables from around the house.

Thanks again for the help.

Doug

math teacher
March 14, 2016, 02:27 PM
How many guns does a person need? At least one more.

ZEN.45
March 15, 2016, 05:00 AM
I build a walk-in-safe in my basement. I made the walls of reinforced concrete myself and had a safe door installed. Costed me less than 2K for a 200 cubic feet safe.

43mauser
March 25, 2016, 12:26 AM
always buy bigger than you think you need. and buy a better safe. not the flimsy 1/4 wall junk.

pins all all 4 sides of the door. extreme fire rating. (can the manf prove it? and real life safes to show?
yes very heavy (must be) so pay to have it moved.
can your floor handle the weight? inprove first. and do not forget to BOLT it down.
got a heat lamp in it? or something powered to keep the humidity down to 30% or so. (the wood needs some moisture).

johnwilliamson062
March 27, 2016, 12:07 PM
I have yet to be convinced anything above a mid grade safe properly installed gives any additional protection in a home.
If they aren't targeting the safe, a mid or even low grade safe will probably stop them. If they break in, can't open the safe, but know location and model you need to immediately replace with another model and change location.
If the are targeting the safe, b/c you've let it get out you have one and maybe even what brand/model, someone will be able to get in rather easily.

Small cheaper safes are available on craigslist regularly. 3-4 small safes with different mechanisms has always seemed a better bet to me. Less back breaking also.

If there is an electronic lock, make sure it doesn't have a lock-out key. At least a normal looking key. The stupidity of reducing a $2000 safe to the security of a $20 Schlage door lock is beyond my comprehension.

Bragging about your new safe, how you had to install it in a certain closet, how your 30 rifles almost filled the 52 gun model up, etc is the problem.