PDA

View Full Version : Help With Decision

pcoutu17
January 28, 2016, 01:11 PM
Now that I've decided to make my next firearm purchase an EDC, I need help choosing which gun I should spring for. I've narrowed down my options to a polymer frame, DA/SA, hammer fired semi-compact.

Right now, I'm looking at a CZ P-07 at about $425, an EAA Sar BP6 Compact at $300, or a Sig Sauer SP2022 ~$500.

From what I've read, the Sar is a fantastic gun that functions well above its price point, but it's just a CZ clone, and I could have the real thing for $125 more.

I've heard the SP2022 also performs better than its typical selling price, and is a great way to get ahold of Sig quality without breaking the bank. However, it is still at the higher end of my budget right now.

The last option I'm toying with is picking up a Sig P229 police trade-in, at about the same price as the SP2022. I don't know much about surplus/trade-ins, and reviews that I've read tend to be a mixed bag.

Here's to hoping everyone can agree on an option and make my decision easier :D

Tactical Jackalope
January 28, 2016, 01:40 PM
Just my kind of thread.

The last option I'm toying with is picking up a Sig P229 police trade-in, at about the same price as the SP2022. I don't know much about surplus/trade-ins, and reviews that I've read tend to be a mixed bag.

This is your first and best option from the guns you've mentioned. I've tried to find a better gun than my P229 and P226. Still haven't done so. It's been my go-to for 7 years or so. Have about 10k through the P226 and a couple estimated through the P229. I can go into more detail if you'd like..

I carry it with a spare 20 round mag at the least in an NSR Tactical holster when carrying appendix and a Raven Concealment Phantom when carrying 4 o'clock.

I've heard the SP2022 also performs better than its typical selling price, and is a great way to get ahold of Sig quality without breaking the bank. However, it is still at the higher end of my budget right now.

That is another great option! I have a friend who owns and loves his. Also has thousands of rounds through it.

Those are the only two I'd trust my life to from the ones you've mentioned. :)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160128/890534bd762c4fdd1bcf13e598e7fa8b.jpg

Worc
January 28, 2016, 01:48 PM
If you look around, you should be able to cut that price down on the Sig some.

Two other polymer DA/SA in your price range would be the Beretta PX4 and FN FNX.

It would really come down to which model feels the best in your hand.

pilpens
January 28, 2016, 01:57 PM
From your list, Sig P229, CZP07, & Sarb6p, I would choose the:
1st. Sig P229.
2nd. Sig P2022.
3rd. CZP07
4th. Sar.
===
I started CCW with a Sig P6 (P225) -- which I later found to be too big for CC.
===

jasmith85
January 28, 2016, 02:01 PM
Of the three new guns that you mentioned I would take the Sig. I have owned multiple SP2022's and have never had an issue. I ended up replacing them with a p229, but they are nonetheless great guns. As far as the forth gun you mentioned goes, I love the p229 but I do not like police trade ins. I had a bad experience with one and have since chose to stay away just in case.

pblanc
January 28, 2016, 02:03 PM
I haven't owned any. I have heard very good things about the SIG SP2022 and the CZ P-07.

The SIG P229 is a great pistol but it is not polymer-framed and is rather heavy if you are looking for something for EDC. Still, out of the choices you listed that is the one I would choose if it is in reasonable shape.

I second taking a look at the Beretta PX4 Storm compact.

Tactical Jackalope
January 28, 2016, 02:18 PM
The P229 (or most service calibers for that matter) is not that heavy if you have a good holster and belt. You can't expect a Wal-Mart belt to get the job done.

The belt I use is a BrownCoat Tactical belt.

As for police trade-ins, I've bought 3 used SIG's.. 2 of which were police trade-ins. A P220 and a P229 in .357SIG and DAK. They were fine, as police trade ins are usually shot very little but carried a lot. I usually buy a spring and pin kit from www.topgunsupply.com which runs about $30 shipped and install that whole thing myself. Good as new. :)

Also, as the others have said... P229!

pcoutu17
February 1, 2016, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the responses and advice!

I just bought the Sig SP2022 in 40 S&W! After reading what y'all had to say and doing a little bit more research, it seemed like the best buy for me right now. I ended up getting it for around the same price that the P-07 would've been, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Now I just need it to get here so I can start training with it! Anybody have any suggestions on holsters? I've been able to find a few that are recommended, but I don't have much experience at all with who has high quality offerings.

Also, I did look at the PX4 Storm, but I'm just really not a fan of the slide-mounted safety. It seems like a great gun though, and is on my list for future considerations.

Proz76
February 1, 2016, 01:51 AM
I own a H&K and but my EDC is a SCCY CPX-2 and I love it! Some people put them down for past issues or them not being a name brand yet but the cost is under 300 and they have the best warranty!

jmhyer
February 1, 2016, 08:40 AM
Congratulations!
This is the standard by which I judge all other IWB holsters.
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/HotcakesStore/ProductViewer/tabid/113/slug/SuperTuck-Deluxe/Default.aspx

vyse.04
February 1, 2016, 09:30 AM
All of my holsters are kydex, and I've bought from Raven Concealment, Off the Grid, and Fist. RCS makes a great product, but they are on the pricey side. I moved to AIWB and found other options that worked better. Either way kydex has worked better for me with the slimmer design and they are easier to wipe down.

I CC'd a P239 for awhile until I moved to California, and almost bought a used P229 for HD. Ended up with a USP Compact for about $100 more, but they are both great guns. Enjoy your Sig!

rt11002003
February 1, 2016, 01:14 PM
I'm a SIG fan, especially the German and Swiss made guns. Not so much with the US mfg. guns, but I have a couple of .45ACP 1911 models that are great and my p239 SAS Gen ll is super great.

I'm impressed with the price quality of EAA/Witness guns. Even the CZ clones, if you will, compare favorably with CZ models. My Witness Elite Limited 9mm does as good a job as my CZ75TS and my CZ75 SP-01 Shadow Target ll.

Don't have experience with the SCCY.

Anongunner
February 1, 2016, 04:06 PM
I have the sp2022 and I want desperately to like it. I actually do like it, but I cannot seem be be very accurate with it. Probably just me. It is a really well built gun and can be found at times for $299 which is a great price. I have never had a malfunction with it. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Takedown is a PIA just because I have so many other guns that I forget how to line up the sig to get the slide release to push out.

Limnophile
February 1, 2016, 04:27 PM
CZ P-07. Good price, excellent customer service and good aftermarket support, very accurate, and customizeable as to grip size and decocker or safety lock.

samsmix
February 1, 2016, 04:33 PM
I am not a SIG fan. I fing them unnecessarily bulky. Like a well machined Ruger P series. That having been said, I have owned, shot, and handled both SIG and CZ handguns, and the fit and finish of a SIG is a cut above.

Get what fits your hand and your budget, for there is really no "wrong" choice in what you've listed. Oddly, given what I stated above, I like the 229 beast of the 3, were it my choice.