PDA

View Full Version : Help with a ccw

RoyalWe
January 26, 2016, 06:32 PM
So, here's the mental jam: a SCCY CPX2 or P64?
SCCY pros: lightweight, 10 rd mag, 9x19
Cons: long, stiff trigger pull, DOA, mixed user reviews.
P64 pros: all steel frame, thin, external safety
Cons: 6rd mag, 9x18 isn't S common in US, have heard of people ND'ing due to the external hammer.

So to add to this toss up, I try to keep my arsenal as small as possible and geared towards shtf. 9x19 is used by a lot of LOE as well as the military and is plentiful on the civilian market making it a good choice. However, the P64 , I've heard, can shoot 9mak, 380, and (again, rumor has it) 9x19. I understand the accuracy suffers with those two and the 9x19 wears it down faster, but if these are true it makes it a nice ccw and shtf pistol.
The last thing that weighs in is that while they're close in price, the P64 is about $50 cheaper, meaning for the same price I can get out the door with the gun and 3-4 boxes of ammo.

Evil Monkey
January 26, 2016, 07:24 PM
I've heard, can shoot 9mak, 380, and (again, rumor has it) 9x19.

no it cant do that.

How about you buy an M&P Shield and get it over with? How about that?

You are comparing 2 completely different pistols to one another as well. It's like you have no clue about what you actually want.

If that's the case, get an M&P Shield for under $400 and get it over with.

weblance
January 26, 2016, 08:03 PM
There are so many 9x19 pistols that have better triggers than the SCCY, AND cost about the same. Heres a short list. Ruger LC9s, Ruger SR9c, Bersa BP9cc, Beretta Nano, Kahr CM9, S$W Shield, Taurus PT111, Taurus 709, Walther PPS.

Dont mess around with 9x18, or .380, go with a standard 9mm, and enjoy the cheapest, and most available centerfire ammo

tallball
January 26, 2016, 09:11 PM
I am very partial to mil surp pistols. Our local sporting goods store seems to always have a couple of different brands of 9mm Makarov on the shelf. (And no, it is not at all interchangeable with 380 or 9mm luger.) I have had a Russian Makarov for over 25 years and adore it. However, it's a little larger and heavier than I prefer for CC. I am assuming the P64 is a similar pistol? I have never fired a SCCY. My Ruger LC9 is a pretty good pistol, but too big for pocket carry, IMHO. I am lazy and just stick a micro 380 or snub 38 in my pocket when I am out and about. With the colder weather I can even do a 44 special! :)

If you prefer a subcompact 9mm, or Eastern European import, more power to you! All roads lead to Rome. :)

CWKahrFan
January 26, 2016, 09:26 PM
FWIW; Having both, I like the P83 MUCH better than the P64... 8+1 vs 6+1 and the trigger is a lot better. (Possible ND's with hammer guns don't concern me at all.)

But really... Both of those guns shoot 9MAK only!

The SCCY, being double-stack, has significantly thicker and "blockier" ergonomics than the two single-stacks above but is (being polymer) lighter (as you know).

RoyalWe
January 26, 2016, 10:18 PM
I really do like that gun, however I can't find anywhere that has them in stock which effectively takes it out of the running. I also have enjoyed the micro pocket 380's, but am looking for something a little bigger, as I've had a hard time holding onto those little ones like the p3at. The biggest issue is being a college student still, I am upholding the most noble of traditions of being broke as all get out. That being said, under $300 is really my only option, making these two the best available options.

samsmix
January 27, 2016, 12:22 AM
Under $300? I purchased an XD .40 Sub compact for $285 recently...but I guess you cant count on that.

Actually, off the top of my head those would be two of the first I would think of in that price range. Smith & Wesson's SD9Ve is in the price range, but certainly not the size.

Tough call... I am gonna go SCCY but ONLY because 9x19 is easier to come by than 9x18.

...but I really LIKE the PA63 better ergonomically.

Proz76
January 27, 2016, 05:36 AM
You cant go wrong with a SCCY.. Love mine!! Warranty is the best out there!!

GEARHEAD_ENG
January 27, 2016, 06:40 AM
My friend owns a SCCY and has been happy with it. It's closer in size to a Glock 26 than my Kahr CM9. He had some issues with it and sent it back to the manufacturer to have checked out. They turned it around in less than two weeks. Very good service.

The trigger is long and on the heavy side but I can shoot as well as my Kahr (fist size groups at 21 feet). My local Rural King has them for $206 right now.

Another one you might look at is the Taurus PT111 G2 for $199 at Palmetto State Armory . They are currently out of stock but run this deal frequently and I've heard good things about this budget pistol.

pelo801
January 27, 2016, 05:37 PM
I have no experience with the Sccy, so I won't comment on that pistol.

I do have a P64. If its in your budget its not a horrible option. It is a very reliable gun. I dont think 9x18 ammo is all that hard to come by, but will be more expensive if you plan on buying it off the shelf locally. Now keep in mind the P64 is a DA/SA gun. And that DA pull is very heavy but can be lightenend with a spring kit. As you mentioned it has an external safety, but that safety is also a decocker. So it cant be carried "cocked and locked".

One last thing, if you do go with the P64, do not fire 380 or 9x19 ammo through it.

CWKahrFan
January 27, 2016, 07:04 PM
P83's available... I'd go for the $10+ hand-picked option...

http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns/surplus-handguns/polish-makarov-p83-pistol-9x18-cal.html

I like the SCCY current-production guns value-wise as well but as I said above... They're thicker than the small 9x18s, but a lot of gun for the size and $. I wouldn't buy a used one unless you could verify it was made within the past year or so.

Ignition Override
January 27, 2016, 08:44 PM
CWKahrFan:
If more P-64 owners were to try the P-83, the much better shooting experience would induce many to never go back to the 64. And the 83s would Jump in price.

On my pair of P-83's the Initial DA trigger pull is slightly heavier than the Initial pull on my four Makarovs, but the 83's DA pull is a very smooth, surprisingly consistent pressure:). It's better than on my EG Maks!

CWKahrFan
January 27, 2016, 08:51 PM
Yes, P83 replaced P64 in many European LE agencies for good reasons.

claydoctor
January 27, 2016, 09:10 PM
If you haven't handled a Shield , check it out .

samsmix
January 28, 2016, 01:01 AM
Bide your time and haunt the used gun racks. The SCCY will be there if you need it, but there are great deals on better guns.

Another Hundo on the table would really open up your options.

pilpens
January 28, 2016, 09:53 AM
I had a P64 is a solid pistol - Reliable and crazy accurate. DA is heavy with original hammer spring. Light hammer spring made DA pull OK but made SA pull too light (scary to me). It was painful to shoot; practice at the range with it was not fun. In an emergency, it is not a bad pistol.
No experience with SCCY.

MarkGlazer
January 28, 2016, 01:42 PM
Pt 111 G2 can be found at the following sites, on sale at $199

http://palmettostatearmory.com/taurus-pt111-gen2-9mm-1-111031g2-12.html

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/handguns-manufacturer-taurus.aspx

jasmith85
January 28, 2016, 02:09 PM
While I love anything in 9mm Mak I would go with the 9mm Luger if you don't already have something in 9mm Luger. I recommend holding off on the odd calibers until well stocked on more widespread calibers. I would also take a Taurus pt111 over the SCCY as some others have suggested. If shipping is the same for you as it is for me and you have a local FFL that charges $20 for a transfer you can get one of the pt111's from PSA for just under $240 total.

RoyalWe
January 28, 2016, 11:36 PM
The only place I've gone through here charges $30 for the ffl, $10 for the background check. That's why I need to stay as far under $300 as possible, because anything I get (online) it is going to be about $60 more after fees and shipping. I'll have to keep my eye on palmetto as I scan around the used racks in town for a little longer. Hoping for a godsend used piece....it can happen! Like the windicator I nabbed for $220 or the 870 for $160. Sometimes pawn shops can be reasonable, though not around here apparently.

samsmix
January 31, 2016, 01:32 AM
Is it even LEGAL to charge for the NICS background check?

drobs
January 31, 2016, 01:53 AM
RoyalWe,

Gunbroker has a handy FFL Finder where you type in your zip code.
www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

You might find you have some coffee table gun dealers nearby that charge less for transfers.

I recommend you email or call the FFL's closest (based on the list from GB) to you to double check they will do transfers on new & used guns bought from Gunbroker or Bud's and what they charge for their transfers.

Regarding - your choices of guns. I'd look for 9mm - a used M&P, Glock, XD, Walther, etc.

CDNN has Walthers on sale for $279:
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=99c3876c30b42968d4190988b&id=ddb80b58fd&e=3bc2e23df8

samsmix
January 31, 2016, 01:56 AM
Also, if you are current or former military, the Commissary on my local AFB has M&P Shields going for $292. Whether this is true Commissary system wide I cannot be sure.

Limnophile
February 1, 2016, 11:10 AM
You can almost certainly find a polsurp CZ 83 (.380 Auto) or milsurp CZ 82 (9 Makarov) for well under $300. The are easy-to-carry and easy-to-shoot compacts. If you already have a .380 pocket pistol, I recommend the CZ 83 so you can use the same ammo. Another option is a polsurp Beretta 84, which is conceptually the same as the CZ 83, but with Italian design lines. Either pistol would almost certainly be a keeper and perhaps worth refinishing after you get out of college.

Skadoosh
February 1, 2016, 12:01 PM
Also, if you are current or former military, the Commissary on my local AFB has M&P Shields going for $292. Whether this is true Commissary system wide I cannot be sure.

At the Commissary? Do you mean the Exchange?

:cool:

Cheapshooter
February 1, 2016, 12:28 PM
You list the trigger pull on the SCCY as a con, yet you are considering a P64:eek::eek:
Horrid DA trigger as it comes, extremely sinsitive SA trigger sometimes leading to unintended double taps!
Where ever you heard that the P64
You also heard wrong, very wrong about it shooting 380acp, or especially 9MM Luger.
If as you stated shtf is a major issue to you, stay with a 9X19 chambered gun. Ammo will be much more available.
If as you seem to be implyi g, cost is a major issue, stay with a 9X19 chambered gun because ammo cost will be less.
There are lots of other options that would fall in your price range. Kel-Tec PF9 or PF11, possibly a used Ruger LC9, in an even smaller 380acp gin there are options from Ruger in the LCP, Kel-Tec in the P3AT, and others.
I'm not sure you have completely researched youroptions.

samsmix
February 1, 2016, 04:59 PM
At the Commissary? Do you mean the Exchange?

LOL! Yes, yes I do mean the Exchange. They used to be in separate buildings here, but now that they's moved them into one I keep calling them both "the Commissary".

Still, M&P Shields in 9mm OR .40 for just $292, and SW9/40V for $260...that's pretty hard to beat. I think I'll be picking up a new EDC at that price!

RoyalWe
February 12, 2016, 12:45 PM
While there isn't a PX around here, and I can't get on post to use it anyway, I do have an update. While checking the pawn shops I found a firestar 9mm which I sprang for. It has the features I was looking for, compact but solid steel frame, 9x19, and best of all an AMBIDEXTROUS SAFETY!

michael t
February 13, 2016, 01:10 AM
Well star closed doors year's back . Hope you can find mags and parts if needed . Other wise might be stuck.

Minorcan
February 13, 2016, 10:07 AM
My SCCY has been great and runs flawlessly. A good value for the money. The trigger is a bit heavy but for a pocket or purse gun OK. The Ruger LC9S has a better trigger but costs about 50% more. A good deal but maybe not as good a value as the SCCY. I

I would stay away from any 9.18. Its basically a .380 as far as speed and knockdown except the ammo is military surplus and quality varies widely. Availability in the future could be an issue. I would probably go with the Ruger LC9S.

RoyalWe
February 13, 2016, 12:17 PM
I think a 9mak would be nice to have in my collection, but as a primary firearm I agree that it's too easily subject shortages/ammo scarcity. Rather just have one, keep it in the gun locker, take it to the range now and then. When the Russians come invading they'll bring ammo for me :) as a scenario like that is the only time I'd ever see needing it. But, the P64 is neat as poor man's ppk.

P71pilot
February 14, 2016, 10:17 AM
My opinion

I have fired about 50rds through a sccy and had no problems with factory lightweight fmj. I have never fired a 9x18 anything.

The P64 is a polish military handgun. Poland makes decent/high quality guns, I have never heard of any problems with these guns and thought about buying one myself so I did some research. Spare parts are going to be hard to get (maybe) for the P64. Ammo will also be harder to acquire and may be less reliable being mostly steel cased foreign stuff. The P64 may allow better accuracy, since it is heavier, yet shoots a lower powered cartridge. I can't remember if the p64 has a fixes barrel

I know nothing about the sccy.

I would choose the p64 and buy as much ammo as you can now. It may not always be available.

But remember, you don't have to settle for a tiny little pocket gun for concealed carry. I am 5'6" and 140lb and can hide a full size 5" 1911 or my 4" Walther PPQ .40 just fine under a T-shirt that drapes off of my wide shoulders. I would rather have more power and more capacity and a larger more comfortable grip, than a little weak pocket gun. 2-3" barrels don't allow for much velocity. You can conceal COMFORTABLY full size guns, it just takes a decent holster and the right clothing

Nathan
February 14, 2016, 11:06 AM
If money is an issue, you need a 9mm.

With some luck or effort, an xd9 it $325 is able to be found. The melonite or similar finish holds up well. It will probably be near flawless.

oldengineer
February 14, 2016, 11:58 AM
I have an XD9 with a Powder River Ultimate Match Competition trigger kit. It shoots nice for me but the original trigger was a bit heavy as is the gun.

I just got an XD-S 40 S&W that has a nice factory trigger and only weighs about 22 oz with an empty mag. It also has a nice narrow profile, only .9" wide. If I ever carry this would probably be my choice among the 6 semi autos that I currently own.

SmokinTom
February 14, 2016, 02:50 PM
The SCCY 9mm is a very good gun. The trigger pull is a safety feature of the gun. If you ever need to use the gun the trigger pull will be an after thought.

TomNJVA
February 15, 2016, 12:57 PM
If you ever need to use the gun the trigger pull will be an after thought.

Exactly. The long but smooth trigger was an attractive feature for me. The SCCY is not a range gun - it's for CCW up-close personal defense and the trigger offers some safety in pocket carry. My first choice originally was a LC9s but the trigger was far too light and I did not want to have to use a manual safety. Plus the SCCY is a bit smaller, lighter, holds 10+1, and has a life-of-the-gun warranty. Not bad for $265.

TomNJVA

samsmix
February 15, 2016, 01:28 PM
There are people with caches of Firestar parts out there if you need them. A Firestar was my first compact (sub compact I guess) EDC, and I LOVED IT! It rode in a Bianchi OEB thumb break that was designed to carry the pistol "cocked and locked" with the thumb break strap providing an additional layer of protection against AD.

IT IS A TERRIBLE CHOICE, and for your own good I think you should give it to me to dispose of for you immediately!:D

RoyalWe
February 16, 2016, 03:41 AM
Luckily the only parts I'd say I need are a couple extra mags, which can be found online for about $30. Not the cheapest or most readily available but for this kind of pistol who needs more than 2-3 anyway in all reality. Generally speaking one doesn't empty 50rds into someone in self defense scenario so I'm not too concerned even with the low round capacity.

droptrd
February 18, 2016, 01:24 PM
The CPX2 is on my wish list. I see them all the time at the range with people who carry them. Very popular in my area.