PDA

View Full Version : First handgun for cc and home defense

epl1007
January 20, 2016, 08:06 AM
I went out shooting yesterday at the local fm range and narrowed it down to 2 guns that seemed to fit me close to identically yesterday. I want to buy a Glock 19 or a S@W Shield for a dual purpose weapon. I shot both of them well at 8 yards. The shield feels a tad bit nicer in my hand but not by much. The downfall of the shield is the capacity. The downfall of the Glock is its thicker than the shield. Right now I'm 50/50 anyone have opinions that carry the 19 or the shield everyday

USMC 77-81
January 20, 2016, 09:17 AM
A guy I work with just bought a new Sig 230(?) and likes the short trigger reset a lot better than the longer reset triggers on his other 3 pieces of Tupperware, check it out before purchasing either of the other 2 you mentioned, just trying to help.

vyse.04
January 20, 2016, 09:44 AM
Did you try a G26 or G43, as they are closer in dimensions to a Shield than the G19? I never noticed the extra width of a Glock when using one of the minimalist holsters (Raven Concealment Vanguard 2), and could conceal a G26 or G19 with a t shirt. I used a magazine extension (mainly for full grip on draw) on my G26 as the holster holds the gun low on the belt, so the grip was about as long as a G19.

I've fired the S&W offerings a few times, but personally I prefer Glocks. The M&P9c kind of sits in between the G19 and G26, with a similar feel to the Shield but greater capacity. If you end up preferring the Shield, that may be an option as well.

epl1007
January 20, 2016, 10:03 AM
The 43 didn't fit my hand well and kicked like a 45 so that guns out. Didn't try the 26 yet because if I want to go with a short barrel it will be a single stack. Which holster do you use for your 19?

Targa
January 20, 2016, 11:58 AM
I would recommend not discounting the 26 because of the barrel, they shoot as well as the 19. Purchase on the grip between the 19 and 26 is one thing but I certainly wouldn't let the shorter barrel influence my decision to go with one over the other.

Onward Allusion
January 20, 2016, 02:08 PM
A G26 will have the same thickness at a G19. Less than a 1/4 inch difference between a G19 & a 9mm Shield won't make or break carrying. What could break you is having only 1/2 the ammo in a Shield. Might be ok for a carry piece, but I wouldn't want only 8 rounds of 9mm for home duty. Get the G19.

Kevin1996
January 20, 2016, 02:14 PM
Cannot say from first hand experience, but I've always heard how great glocks are by inexperienced to experienced shooters and also people that have CC for many years; They always seem to favor the glocks. It isn't a coincidence that many favor them.

Targa
January 20, 2016, 02:34 PM
I think so. There are other handguns I like better but I will say from my experience the Glocks just do everything well, they don't stand out and make me drool like a nice 1911 etc.. but they are very well rounded.
I think someone else mentioned it but another one to look at is a M&Pc. I really like mine quite a bit and it will certainly fill a carry/home defense role well.

Nathan
January 20, 2016, 02:39 PM
Only you can answer this. I might pollute the waters a bit saying, it might be better to go with the larger gun at first. It will be easier to shoot and if you are getting into HD and CCW, a gun that is easy to shoot and 1000 rounds of ammo, are you friend!

9x45
January 20, 2016, 02:54 PM
OP, I have both, different guns with the same purpose for CCW. The Glock is thicker and heavier, but holds 16 rounds, the Shield is thinner but only holds 9. The Glock is easier to shoot. For home defense there is no reason to have a compact gun, look at the full sized Glocks and S&Ws.

Guns I CCW, G17/G31/G19/Shield/Kahr CW9 and a &W 640-1 .357RemMag

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image37174.jpg

silverbullet6oh
January 20, 2016, 04:03 PM
Only you can answer this. I might pollute the waters a bit saying, it might be better to go with the larger gun at first. It will be easier to shoot and if you are getting into HD and CCW, a gun that is easy to shoot and 1000 rounds of ammo, are you friend!

True, about only the OP has the right answer.

When I went shopping I wanted a slim, full size, large capacity pistol. With minimal features, point and shoot. That's why I ended up with the EDC pistol I have. And I love taking it to range and shooting it cause its comfortable.

So I also would agree with seeing if you are able to CC with a full size, if possible.;)

But if you are going to make a choice between the two, my pick goes to the Glock 19.

Let us know what you get!:)

kilimanjaro
January 20, 2016, 04:57 PM
Go to the range twice a week for a month and try more guns, see what you think then.

chris in va
January 20, 2016, 05:06 PM
try more guns, see what you think then.

This.

There's a whole galaxy of great compact firearms you haven't tried yet. While I carry a CZ for EDC, I've heard great things about the Walther PPQ, for example.

Targa
January 20, 2016, 05:14 PM
No doubt about that^^. Alot of options out there today, makes shopping around and playing pretty fun.

lowercase
January 20, 2016, 10:29 PM
Of the two that you listed, I would vote for the Glock 19 because I own one and know the platform well. I have nothing against the Shield. I also wanted to actually answer the question that you asked (It always kinda irks me when someone asks a specific question and gets an answer out of left field).

That having been said, while my Glock is solid and reliable, it is a soulless and totally boring piece of tupperware. I never carry it, and almost never shoot it. For semi autos, I like all metal, DA/SA hammer fired guns. Just because. :) YMMV.

pilpens
January 21, 2016, 08:50 AM
Some carry a mid-size pistol like the G19 and are happy with the size/weight but I like the smaller pistols for CC.
I would pick the S&W Shield. It will be easier and more comfortable to conceal than the G19.

rpseraph
January 21, 2016, 09:10 AM
Hey OP, two great choices for your first firearm! You'll be gtg with whichever you choose.

Personally, if I am going to CCW the weapon, then I want concealability (not a real word). The downside, like you said, is round count. However, 8 rounds with an extra mag at home is plenty, IMO. Think of all the people that CCW a 1911 with 7 rounds! IF you play the 8 isn't enough I need 16, well maybe I need extended glock mags, well I really should have a bigger caliber, before you know it you'll have a 308 battle rifle and good luck CCW'ing that :P

herdman
January 21, 2016, 09:56 AM
I recently purchased the Shield and Glock 19. I like both and both are very good. But, to me they are two different guns.

The Shield is a conceal carry pistol. It could double as a home defense weapon, but it is slimmer and more concealable than the Glock 19.

The Glock 19 is the do it all gun. Harder to conceal that a Shield but shoots like a full size gun and shoots well, really well. It is easier to shoot well than the Shield in my opinion but it is a bigger gun. Probably the best all around gun on the market.

Conceal: Advantage Shield

Shooting: Advantage Glock

Number of Rounds: Advantage Glock

Home Defense: To me, Advantage Glock but Shield could work here as well.

Good news is you can't go wrong either way. Both are very good.

Brando1992
January 21, 2016, 01:17 PM
I carry my glock 19 daily, if i could only have one gun it would be my glock 19.

That being said at some point in the next few years I plan to get a shield for daily carry, I'm not worried at all about the capacity of the shield for a carry gun.

If you get a chance to try a glock 26 you may give it a try, its a good in between. I personally dont like how they sit in my hand, though a lot of people love them.

epl1007
January 21, 2016, 02:42 PM
That's why I'm feeling the 19 because I can only afford 1 gun and it seems like the perfect compromise

Brando1992
January 21, 2016, 03:19 PM
Let me say this, if you plan to carry every day but hardly go to the range, go ahead with the shield, comfort would outweigh the advantages of the glock in that scenario.

But if you plan to take it to the range use as a home defense gun and also carry it, the glock 19 will serve you well in all areas. It will be harder to conceal, but if you get a good belt and good holster that shouldnt be a problem. a glock 19 will do everything from concealed carry gun to competition gun.

yes, im biased. get the glock 19 ;)

FAS1
January 21, 2016, 07:15 PM
That's why I'm feeling the 19 because I can only afford 1 gun and it seems like the perfect compromise

I would do the same in your shoes. I carry a G26 and my HD gun is a G17.

vyse.04
January 22, 2016, 10:21 AM
Honestly though, I don't believe you lose much going with the G26 if you want a smaller pistol. I've shot mine back to back with a G19, and have considered moving to the 19. Both are accurate handguns, and again I use the grip extension on my G26 already so length is about equal. I carried appendix (have since moved to CA) and concealment was not an issue. I probably have a soft spot for the G19 because there isn't one in my safe.

I only mention all of that because a CC handgun only works if you carry it. The additional length may print depending on where you choose to carry. Again I carried my Glock in a Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 holster, and it was an excellent CCW set up. Other companies make similar trigger guard set ups, but I prefer the loop over a length of paracord. Gun was held tight, even when jogging/running. For me it replaced a few smaller guns for CC without any additional restrictions.

Chainsaw.
January 22, 2016, 11:54 AM
What do you do all day? Are you up on your feet moving around or are you more sedentary? A 19 gets heavy and annoying if you are on yoir feet all day, thats why I went to a kahr cw9 for pocket carry.

michael t
January 22, 2016, 05:16 PM
Get a revolver . Was defending people for a lot more years than a semi auto .
Still works today . Some where internet or gun rags We have become a nation of must have a semi auto and hold abox of ammo in every mag.

You probably got a better chance of being struck by lighting Than needing a pistol for SD on street. Home or street 5 or 6 shot revolver should work fine. Many carried every day in America. Reliable no jams easy to use. . I carry many days a S&W 38 special 3" or my Charter arms 44 spl bulldog 3" barrel
each has 5 shots . I have carried many many years and never needed to shoot any one on the street. . Or inside my house.

AxlMyk
January 22, 2016, 05:26 PM
Before I bought the Glock 26 Gen4, I looked at a Ruger LP9s Pro. Nice gun, and $150 cheaper than the G26.
I bought the Glock because it feels good to hold, my Wife can use it, and it comes with 4 backstraps and 3, 10 round clips. A nice carry weapon.