PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on recommended reading

Ocraknife
January 9, 2016, 12:31 PM
I'd like to learn more about the mechanics and physics of auto loaders - well, really, all guns but specifically auto loaders.

Lots of the books I've read (am reading) about guns are heavy on the political side which makes sense as the drivers of design but I'm really interested in what's going on chemically, physically and mechanically when the trigger is pulled.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Okra

g.willikers
January 9, 2016, 01:11 PM
Good question.
Most books on the technical side describe how to take them apart and fix them, but not the mechanical principles so much, if at all.
There used to be a couple of good ones from the NRA that describe much of what you are asking.
They were written by Smith and Smith and published by Castle Books many decades ago,
Maybe there's more modern versions.
Amazon has a very good selection, it might be worth checking there, too.
Search for Firearms Design.

BigJimP
January 9, 2016, 07:19 PM
There are shop manuals available for guns like the 1911's... by Kuhnhausen that are good. ( Kuhnhausen also has shop manuals for platforms like S&W Revolvers - and Colt revolvers - and some rifles and shotguns that are very good).

There are also armorer manuals ...for guns like the Sig 226...that will give you some of what you're after...

google is your friend ...google armorers manuals for a specific gun /or Kuhnhausen...

745SW
January 9, 2016, 08:37 PM
Get into reloading. Various editions particularly manuals like Speer is much more than data. Actual application/experience, IMO, over a period of years gives a much better understanding than just reading.

Ocraknife
January 10, 2016, 12:53 AM
That makes sense - experience it don't just read it right?

745SW
January 10, 2016, 08:07 AM
I find those having interest in the workings of arms do well in reloading/handLoading. Handloading, generally meaning, using all new components.

BigJimP
January 10, 2016, 12:21 PM
To me, reloading is another big aspect of the gun hobby..../ and while I do save some money - it just means I shoot more on the same ammo budget / and in reality, I'd reload even if the cost was no savings --- because I like the process - and I like shooting my own ammo - and to some extent customizing it to a specific gun or for some of the young shooters in my family ( since I'm now teaching my grandkids to shoot and reload ) just like my grandpa did with me some 55yrs ago now...

But I think studying the process of reloading ...looking at alternatives on different powders - velocities and pressures at Min vs Max in a published recipe vs a different recipe ..and comparing the powders - and different weights of bullets...is interesting.

Just like learning how to take a specific model of gun - down to a bare frame - inspecting each part ...lubing it properly ( maybe tuning up the gun a little ) and reassembling it properly..understanding the mechanism inside the gun ....is a big part of the pleasure, for me, of owning that specific gun -- reloading, and shooting your own ammo, feels the same way...

or really understanding each step - that the press does - especially in a complex progressive press like the Dillon 650 - in the reloading process / studying the manual - learning what each spring is doing in the machine, all of the fine adjustments...that contribute to a high quality cartridge...is part of the fun as well...

For me, there is a lot to this hobby...