PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on where to buy ammo

Ocraknife
January 1, 2016, 02:32 PM
It seems virtually impossible to find 22LR locally. I've tried dirtcheap and a few others but they're out of stock on a lot of things.

The local gun shows have way inflated prices so those aren't an option for me.

Any other suggestions on where to shop for ammo? Most of what I buy is 9mm and .22LR.

Thanks.

jmr40
January 1, 2016, 02:52 PM
Walmart and all the usual places locally haven't had any in quite some time. But I've been able to buy plenty at local gun shops and some of the bigger family owned gun stores in the Atlanta area. From time to time I see 22's in places like Academy Sports and Cabelas too. It is spotty, but shows up. If any of those type places are in your area check them out.

I haven't seen any of the cheap stuff however. Meaning the 500+ rounds of bulk ammo that used to sell for around $20 or less. What I'm finding is some better quality target ammo such as Norma, Aguila, Wolf, Federal and CCI target loads selling at around $8/50 rounds. Not cheap, but a fair price for the quality. I've bought about 1000 rounds of that in recent months.

Occasionally CCI Mini-Mags are available at around $10/100 rounds. I think that is a fair price all things considered. I've picked up 8-10 boxes of that as well.

Ocraknife
January 1, 2016, 05:07 PM
I'd gladly pay $10/100 for mini mags. They are about the only thing my particular 10/22 would cycle.

I just ordered 650 rounds of Federal lead round nose for about $4.90/box of 50 including shipping. That should last me a for a bit, meanwhile I'll continue to search the local Walmarts and hope I catch them on a good day.

KW Gary M
January 1, 2016, 05:19 PM
With target/plinking ammo of most calibers it's tough to beat Walmart.

Ocraknife
January 1, 2016, 05:43 PM
With target/plinking ammo of most calibers it's tough to beat Walmart.

Agreed but it's so hard to find it at the walmarts around here. Insiders know when they get shipments and they'll bring their families in to smurf-purchase their limits until they've bought every round of .22LR and market WAY up for sale at regional gun shows. It makes it hard for the average shooter to find it locally.

The good news is that other ammo that once was almost impossible to find is now more available at walmart so that's good.

Still, I'm surprised .22LR is in such high demand. It's like people fear a zombie squirrel apocalypse or something.

Boogershooter
January 1, 2016, 06:05 PM
If you have a Academy close by just ask them on which days they receive their ammo. You will have to be there when they open the doors. But all of the local shops have a pretty decent supply. If u like midway usa they usually have the norma tac ammo in stock.

KW Gary M
January 1, 2016, 07:29 PM
Have you tried Sportsman's Guide? They usually have stock and are pretty close to Walmart prices.

vkeith
January 1, 2016, 08:36 PM
Check with Outdoor Junction at exit 290 on I40 in Cookeville. They had .22LR in stock the last time I was out that way in summer.

Much further east, Bill's Outpost in Alcoa had over 15k rounds of .22 LR last week ($5-6 per box of 50), and J. Floyd's Golf and Guns in Sevierville has had .22LR in stock regularly also.

I realize the last two are too far to come unless you are already in the area, but if you do end up in the east TN, they are good options.

xandi
January 1, 2016, 08:39 PM
I had some good luck with dicks sporting goods
Some times they'll even have some great deals going on

SARuger
January 1, 2016, 09:58 PM
Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/22-long-rifle/br?cid=22516) is where I get mine. Shows up in 3-5 days and I never have to waste diesel looking for it

Bongo Boy
January 2, 2016, 12:05 AM
Seems to me 22 LR is in endless supply at gunbroker...I'm looking at 1000 rds of CCI standard vel for $105 right now. I've purchased about 15,000 rds of 22 LR through various dealers at gunbroker and haven't had any issues. That's far preferable to me than driving to a store to 'see what they have'...if I can't find it online I don't buy it, and it's rare indeed I can't find it online.