PDA

View Full Version : First Time Owner Looking For Advice

pcoutu17
December 21, 2015, 10:59 PM
So, as the title suggests, I'm looking at becoming a first time handgun owner. I don't plan on carrying, so whatever I choose will only be used for home defense and range practice.

I've currently narrowed it down to a 9mm, and two guns that I've researched a good bit and like a lot, at least on paper. The current top choice is the CZ 75B Omega, followed by the IWI Jericho 941 Steel. I plan on going to actually hold them and get a feel for them tomorrow.

Right now, a local store is offering the CZ 75B Omega for $470, which beats any other price I've seen by a decent bit. Is this a good deal? Are there any other platforms y'all would recommend looking at?

vyse.04
December 21, 2015, 11:21 PM
The CZ is a good choice, and the price isn't bad compared to what is around here ($550+). I would try to get to a range that rents guns if possible prior to making the purchase, especially since it is your first handgun. Try a few different triggers (even if it is just holding them in a shop) to see if you like DA/SA, or one of the many other triggers out there. If that is not an option and the CZ-75 feels good in your hand, go for it. Being a full size 9mm with a metal frame, it will have less felt recoil than the smaller compacts/subcompacts.

BigMikey76
December 21, 2015, 11:23 PM
That is a great price on the CZ75B. I would grab it and not look back, if it were me.

Kosh75287
December 21, 2015, 11:26 PM
The Cz-75B is the way to go. No question about it.

Fivesense
December 21, 2015, 11:28 PM
You have some good options, especially in that price range. But you won't be disappointed with the CZ. Once you get it, even if you don't plan to carry, do get acquainted and shoot with it regularly. You will enjoy it.

I'd be remiss in not mentioning Glock. I won't say G19 because some people's heads will fall off. But G17 is also a good comparison to the weapons you mention.

Congratulations.

Limnophile
December 21, 2015, 11:51 PM
The price on the CZ is 13.6% below MSRP -- that's good.

I'd opt for the CZ. The Jericho is a high quality clone of the CZ 75, but I think you'll find better parts support and upgrade options with the CZ.

Good shopping.

pcoutu17
December 22, 2015, 02:10 AM
Thank you all for the input and advice!

The CZ has really been my first choice since I started looking, but it's always nice to have some confirmation. I think the aesthetics of the Jericho were the only thing really pulling me in its direction, but the available price on the CZ kind of seals the deal.

Here's to hoping the fit and feel are in my favor tomorrow, and thanks again!