PDA

View Full Version : Browning 1911-22

Mike Irwin
December 15, 2015, 11:34 AM
Anyone have one of these little cuties?

I saw one for the first time a few weeks ago at a shop in Virginia. Just felt right at home in my hand, but the price tag ($600+ at a known expensive shop) didn't feel at home in my wallet. Even less so now that I've bought a new car...

What can you tell me about reliability, durability, etc?

What's the average market price (I suspect the price I saw above was MSRP+).

mavracer
December 15, 2015, 11:43 AM
I've had one for a while, accuracy is OK it's no target gun by any stretch but it's minute of soda can out to 15 yards. Mine has been 100% reliable. Check CDNN they have a steal on the boxed set that comes with a mini KBar

Mike Irwin
December 15, 2015, 11:48 AM
Damn it don't tell me that, I've not even made my first car payment! :p

TexasBAD
December 15, 2015, 12:14 PM
Hello Mike, I am new on this forum. I have one of these and $550 seems to be an average price on them. Mine has been very reliable, not target quality, but accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. I have never experienced a jam or failure to feed. I have shot an assortment of loads and makes and is has performed well with everything I have put in it. If you step up to plate, you'll not be disappointed. Best wishes, David

g.willikers
December 15, 2015, 12:53 PM
Or you could get a Ruger 22-45 for nowhere near that cost.
Not quite a 1911, but close enough for the price, with very good accuracy.
The Browning isn't exactly a 1911 either come to think.
And you won't have to miss a car payment to pay for it, either.

roashooter
December 15, 2015, 01:02 PM
Wife has the Browning 1911-22.."Black Label"...fits her hand like it was meant to be.... when she saw the Browning 1911-380.."Black Label"..she found her new favorite CCW purse gun....said her SA 1911-45 was getting too heavy......both Brownings have been 100% reliable....the 380 even likes the reloads we have been making....having all three... with common functions...is a plus

ttarp
December 15, 2015, 03:27 PM
I've put a lot of rounds(I know that doesn't help much, lets say 2k?) through my Browning 1911-22, never had a hangup, and no significant wear.

Accuracy is plenty good for what I do, plink and varmint control, but like already stated its not really a target pistol in the sense a buckmark or ruger is.

I think these pistols are quite underrated amongst their competition, price and size seem to hold most folks back from trying them out.

Buds has one with pink grips for $380.

gyvel
December 15, 2015, 03:47 PM
Got two: One full size and one compact. Both have been 100% reliable and have fed any and all garbage ammo I have put through them.

Right now CDNN is offering the boxed set with the Kabar knife for $449.00.

Rembrandt
December 15, 2015, 03:57 PM
Got one of the first to come out, superb handgun for small hands (kids) and fits us with full sized mits. Aftermarket grips are starting to show up as well as other accessories.

jglsprings
December 15, 2015, 03:58 PM
Is 449.00. Less another $50.00 rebate. Just so you know.

Eazyeach
December 15, 2015, 04:56 PM
It's a $50 rebate from what I can tell. Still that would make it the cheapest I've seen without the sweet blade. I'm not looking to add to my accumulation right now , but dang $400 for a sweet gun and knife!? That's hard to pass up.

Shane Tuttle
December 15, 2015, 05:27 PM
I LOVE mine. I bought it for a two-fold reason. Getting someone used to a 1911 platform along with very low recoil allows this to be a great baby step. I have small/medium sized hands. It's still takes a bit getting used to having such a small firearm, still. There's more plastic internals than I care to see. But we're talking about a .22lr. I haven't had any malfunctions so far after a few hundred rounds. One major drawback is the front sight is really hard to pick up. I don't know of any sites out there that can be used as replacements. I took some fluorescent model paint and dabbed a little on the backside of the front site and was good enough for me. Magazines aren't exactly cheap.

CCI Stingers, Federal Match, Thunderbolts, American Eagle, and Federal Champion are the brands I used so far. Accuracy at 15ft seemed to be negligible between all of them except for the Thunderbolts. That spread was significantly worse.

Shane Tuttle
December 15, 2015, 05:31 PM
As the other members said, it's $400 after rebate. Includes the case and Kbar knife, I believe...

http://www.cdnnsports.com/browning-1911-22-a1-22lr-4-25-wood-grips-fs-1-10rd.html#.VnCUAEorKUk

JWT
December 15, 2015, 06:57 PM
Bought one when they first came out. Nice little gun,but it IS little. Mine has been flawless. Fun to shoot. I replaced the plastic grips with wooden ones. Thought the plastic looked cheap.

Aguila Blanca
December 15, 2015, 08:13 PM
Bought one when they first came out. Nice little gun,but it IS little. Mine has been flawless. Fun to shoot. I replaced the plastic grips with wooden ones. Thought the plastic looked cheap.
Where did you find wood 85% grips?

Mike Irwin
December 15, 2015, 08:18 PM
I was with American Rifleman when Ruger brought out the .22/45.

I didn't like it then, and I still don't like it now.

I'm drawn to the Browning 1911-22 the same way some people are drawn to Colt New Frontiers -- because they're scaled down versions of very classic handguns.

ttarp
December 15, 2015, 08:19 PM
http://www.highfiguregrips.com/#!browning-1911-22/cla5

http://www.opticsplanet.com/browning-1911-22-380-grip.html

http://www.raascogrips.com/1911-grips--dymond1911.html

http://www.freewebs.com/leftfieldengineering/browning191122.htm

http://spresserknifeworks.itgo.com/browning22.htm

http://grips4u.net/category/pistol-grips/browning/browning-1911-22/

Not too bad a selection for such a specialty item.

Rembrandt
December 15, 2015, 08:24 PM
Esmeralda has some nice cocobolos.

http://esmeralda.cc/collections/browning-1911-22

sirgilligan
December 15, 2015, 09:25 PM
I like mine. I use it to warm up with before going to a 9mm. Why? Because it is so light it gets me to focus on trigger control.

Here are 9 shots at 15 yards, indoor range, poor lighting...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gM84G2K-wzo/VBGi9_7geCI/AAAAAAAAFGk/hebRHCkLYa8/s1600/Browning_1911_22LR_15_yards_5_inch.png

gyvel
December 16, 2015, 12:04 AM
Magazines aren't exactly cheap.

They're actually not too bad. You can find them on eBay for around $26-27 or so and some with free shipping.

Shane Tuttle
December 16, 2015, 12:10 AM
Well, that's good. I haven't hunted for any in a while. Last I checked they were in the mid $30s.

Ibmikey
December 16, 2015, 09:27 AM
I love my little 1911-22, fits the hand like it was made to. I have put about a brick of ammo through the Browning and enjoyed every shot, not a target pistol but more fun than normally allowed by the Liberals. Highly recommend this plinker.....on the same tone I recently purchased a .22 lr conversion kit for my Sig P 938...this has got to be the most fun to shoot for informal targets bar none!!

Nodak1858
December 16, 2015, 09:38 AM
My cousin bought a full size model. He brought it with for deer hunting. It was an awesome little pistol. We used it to eleminate many a soda can, and a few muskrats as well. We had zero issues to feed or fire. i liked it so much I'm on the hunt for one I think

45_auto
December 16, 2015, 09:38 AM
I bought mine in 6/13. Excellent gun, fun to shoot. Grandkids and their friends (10-11 year olds) love it. They put a couple of hundred rounds (Federal bulk) through it every other month or so, easily been over 5000 rounds with no problems at all.

Sights are atrocious, extra mags were expensive (over $30) back when I bought mine.

Beepy
December 16, 2015, 02:44 PM
I bought mine when they first hit the shelves from a local shop. It has been 100% reliable and not too ammo fussy. It doesn't like the Remington Thunderbolt or Winchester white box junk at all. Only malfunctions were due to ammo and not a fault of the gun. My wife loves it. She has very small hands and it is easy for her to control and handle. I like to carry it during hunting season for final kill shots when needed. It carries in a pocket very comfortably.

I have to agree with the comments about the sights. They are really awful. Very, very difficult to see if you are past 50.

BP

gyvel
December 17, 2015, 01:03 AM
We used it to eleminate many a soda can, and a few muskrats as well.

Did they attack you?

It doesn't like the Remington Thunderbolt or Winchester white box junk at all.

That hasn't been my experience at all. Rem. Thunderbolt, Win. Wildcat, Fed. Lightning, Hawthorne, CCI in the old red and white box, etc., all have been 100% reliable except for the duds.

I have to agree with the comments about the sights. They are really awful. Very, very difficult to see if you are past 50.

LOL!! Yes, they are essentially the sights on dad's WWII 1911A1.

g.willikers
December 17, 2015, 08:31 AM
One way to improve the sight picture with those GI sights is to slightly widen the notch in the rear one.
Just enough to allow more light around the front one.
It doesn't sound like much of an improvement, but it really helps.
And, if it works for you, they still retain the accuracy that small sights can provide.

Beepy
December 17, 2015, 12:28 PM
That hasn't been my experience at all. Rem. Thunderbolt, Win. Wildcat, Fed. Lightning, Hawthorne, CCI in the old red and white box, etc., all have been 100% reliable except for the duds.Oh, they generally FIRE, feed and function ok, (except for the duds, as you noted) they just strike the target in a wide, undefined pattern instead of a defined group of some kind. If I want to shoot an identifiable group, it is necessary that Remington Target, Aguila Target, Eley Target or a similar quality of ammo be used in my Browning 1911-22.

I sincerely apologize for my inadequacy of distinction. :o

Peter M. Eick
December 17, 2015, 03:15 PM
http://eickpm.com/picts/1911_22_041412.jpg

Nice gun. Lots of fun to shoot. Mags load easy, accurate, yes, I mean really accurate. Here is 100 shots of me just playing with it. I had trouble with the small sights, but hey that was my issue. The right left is good but I was having a few issues with getting the small front sight back in the same spot each time.

The gun forces you to do proper 1911 shooting technique. If you do you are rewarded with a great hit and a good shooter.

I just recently sold mine because a friend liked it and she shot it quite well. I felt it would be a great trainer until she got comfortable enough to move up to a 1911.

FrankenMauser
December 17, 2015, 03:53 PM
Crankylove (my brother) got one for Christmas, the year that they hit the market.
I haven't shot it a whole lot (maybe 100 rounds), but the rest of the family has had a lot of fun with it.

It's tons of fun, reliable, accurate, and tons of fun. Also, tons of fun.

It's just a really nice pistol to shoot.
Smooth, light, points well for both small hands and large, and, dare I say it: cute.

I'm trying to come up with a bad point. ...Not getting anything.
Oh, magazines aren't cheap; and, being a .22, most people would like a few spares.

If the 1911-22s weren't priced the way they are, and I didn't already own the Buckmarks, there would definitely be at least one 1911-22 in my safe.
As is, I can't justify the price.

Crankylove
December 17, 2015, 05:32 PM
It's tons of fun, reliable, accurate, and tons of fun. Also, tons of fun.

What he said. ^^^^^

I enjoy it enough that I let my brother buy my Ruger 22/45, I didn't shoot it anymore, the Browning is just too much fun.

My wife, nieces, and nephews love it. It fits their hands well, and there's is some novelty factor there as well I think.

I haven't had any issues with mine, just clean it once in a while and shoot it. With the small G.I. style sights, it's still very accurate,even being the "compact", short barrel.

I do wish it had come with a second magazine, but that would be my only complaint about it.

DPris
December 17, 2015, 05:48 PM
Had no idea you two were related.
What's your old man go by? :)
Denis

JWT
December 17, 2015, 07:06 PM
Re: wood grips. I found a grip maker on line who agreed to make wood grips for the gun if I'd send him the plastic grips for patterns. I did and he made some very nice ones. When I wanted to replace the original grips I couldn't find any vendors that made them. Obviously has changed now.

Beepy
December 18, 2015, 12:02 PM
I found a grip maker on line who agreed to make wood grips for the gun if I'd send him the plastic grips for patterns.Mine came with walnut wood grips. It was the only one in the LDS's case at the time. Plastic grips would be nice to have for the field and range day. But I agree; wood grips have a much better and richer appearance.

2ndsojourn
December 18, 2015, 01:40 PM
"...all have been 100% reliable except for the duds."

I dunno....something about that sounds kinda...I dunno,...funny. Kinda like saying my truck is 100% reliable except when it doesn't start. ;):):confused:

FrankenMauser
December 18, 2015, 03:25 PM
FYI:
December 18 through December 24, Sportsman's Warehouse (at least in my part of the country) has "Wood/Pink 2-grip set" 1911-22s on sale for $299. Compact and full size at that price.

Bad timing for me, but a great price for the rest of you that have been hesitant due to pricing.

What's your old man go by?He's not a member.

DPris
December 18, 2015, 06:18 PM
OK.
Thought it might be something like Frankencrank's Dad.... :)
Denis

johnwilliamson062
December 18, 2015, 07:48 PM
Wow, that is a great deal at sportsmens warehouse. Closest to me is lexington Kentucky though. 3 hour drive. Plus, as a handgun I'd still need to ship it.

gyvel
December 18, 2015, 09:42 PM
December 18 through December 24, Sportsman's Warehouse (at least in my part of the country) has "Wood/Pink 2-grip set" 1911-22s on sale for $299. Compact and full size at that price.

Metal or polymer frames???

CDNN has the boxed set (pistol and knife with wood case) for sale right now for $399.00 after $50.00 mail in rebate.

FrankenMauser
December 19, 2015, 12:46 AM
Alloy frame.

cavelamb
December 19, 2015, 01:08 AM
The Browning 1911-22 is just plain fun to shoot.
Mine wears these custom made G10 grips.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cave-2/images/1911-22/B1911-g2.jpg

Now maybe it isn't quite as accurate as my wife's Ruger Mk III,
but there is also the shooter to consider.

This was my target at out local shoot-out a couple of years ago.
Tied to the last, we had a 3 round shoot off at 20 feet.
I won - got the t-shirt too! against a gold cup colt 45.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cave-2/images/1911-22/Longview.jpg

The 22 is by the bed for anything that goes bump in the night.
I keep these bad things in it - Aguila 60 grain sub-sonic snipers.
They tumble like crazy beyond about 15 feet, but who cares.
(actually, that's probably a good thing at that range)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cave-2/images/1911-22/Aguila60.jpg

gyvel
December 19, 2015, 03:05 AM
Alloy frame.

Wow! That's quite a drop from the Browning intro price.

There's a Sportsman's Warehouse in Phoenix, but they show no firearms on their website.

gyvel
December 19, 2015, 03:10 AM
I dunno....something about that sounds kinda...I dunno,...funny. Kinda like saying my truck is 100% reliable except when it doesn't start.

I dunno, either. Maybe when your truck is out of gas?:D

But, of course I know that you knew I was referring to rounds that have no priming and don't go off, right...? Right...??

johnwilliamson062
December 20, 2015, 06:54 PM
I think I might order one from CDNN and and see if I can get anyone interested in the mini-Kbar and Knife.
I called Gander Mountain to see if they could price match the $299 price. No, since it isn't a store in the area, but they did offer to cut me a screaming deal on the same gun for $599+tax. I 'wouldn't have to pay shipping or a transfer fee if I bought from them.' What a joke.

At least Bass pro starts off at $519 for all the models they have in stock.

larryh1108
December 20, 2015, 07:11 PM
Those of us who have enjoyed the Llama .22LR all these years know how much fun a gun like this is. Those who cherish the 1911 platform need this Browning "just because".

FrankenMauser
December 21, 2015, 12:23 AM
I don't think I could ever cherish a Llama.

Pilot
December 21, 2015, 03:40 AM
I have a scaled down Llama 1911 .380 XXXi that I cherish. 100% reliable, well made, and accurate.

gyvel
December 21, 2015, 02:42 PM
I don't think I could ever cherish a Llama.

They're OK. I never had any trouble with mine, except finding magazines at a reasonable price. (Newer model .22 mags need to be modified to work the hold open.)

Other than that the gun works OK, but isn't particularly accurate.

FrankenMauser
December 21, 2015, 04:45 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

Crankylove
December 23, 2015, 09:52 PM
What's your old man go by?
Denis

Oldest brother, Cornbush, is on here too.

Ibmikey
December 24, 2015, 10:30 AM
My forties and fifties era Llamas (.22, .32 and .380) are some of the nicest made and neatest shooters around, then I move to the Micro Max just before Llama died for more great shooters. When I shoot my 1911 compact Browning and then the Llama .22, although both are fun, the Llama with its all steel construction feels more like it's bigger brother the real 1911.

JJNA
December 24, 2015, 08:28 PM
I have a Browning 1911-22 and a 1911-380. The 22 is a very dandy little plinker. It is NOT a target shooter by any stretch of imagination. My wife loves the 380. She enjoys it much more than almost any other center fire handgun. I think it works very well for her small hands. I like shooting it too. Low recoil, easy to manage grip size, very ergonomic.

The fit and finish are rather poor. Both examples exhibit a great deal of rattling. other parts are loosely fitted and show play. And I am not convinced some of the plastic parts are durable. They just seem flimsy (I do not know whether that is actually the case).

Fun guns if you can get them inexpensively (I did), but at near MSRP, they are not a good value.

gyvel
December 28, 2015, 05:47 PM
One of the bones I had to pick with Browning was the lack of any reference to a magazine disconnector in the manual. There is a very ambiguous one liner about the magazine being inserted to lower the hammer, but that's it.

Anyway, after disassembling the pistol I saw that it's very easy to do away with the disconnector, if so desired. It does require a minor permanent alteration to one part, though, so if you ever wanted to replace the disconnector function, you would need to have a spare part on hand (either the trigger or the mag release button).

What would really make this THE perfect pistol would be if it were all steel.

johnwilliamson062
December 28, 2015, 07:49 PM
Gyvel is correct on the all steel bit. I'm not sure how much more it would cost, but I would probably be interested.

JJNA
December 28, 2015, 08:46 PM
What would really make this THE perfect pistol would be if it were all steel.Yes!

ttarp
December 28, 2015, 09:20 PM
Regarding steel, I'd be worried it would sacrifice its perfect reliability, Al works for me, heck I don't even mind the plastic guide rod... Now what they need to do is make the .380 version in steel and offer a GI model as well.

Seronac
January 22, 2016, 01:51 AM
Just picked up one of these at a local pawn shop. I'm very pleased with its looks, weight and performance. I would feel better about it if it were all metal, with no plastic, but it shoots reliably, and is fun. Recommended.

gyvel
January 22, 2016, 02:29 AM
Although I have the minor quibble about the aluminum construction, I still love the pistol and it is a joy to shoot.

Oldman1151
January 22, 2016, 10:30 AM
It is a great little gun. Really enjoy mine. Good shooter.