PDA

View Full Version : Colt .22 Conv Unit on Series 80?

JNewell
May 15, 2000, 09:04 PM
So, can I use an older Colt .22LR conversion unit on a Series 80 pistol? I'm wondering if the FP safety on the Series 80 pistols is a problem...

Cat
May 15, 2000, 10:56 PM
I have a Ceiner Platinum Cup conversion unit on my series 80 Gold Cup. It works fine. The first several magazines through it had some failures mostly due to being snug, cold lube, and my fat thumb rubbing on the slide.
No problems with it now.
Neil Casper

4V50 Gary
May 16, 2000, 07:09 AM
Over the past 15 years, Colt has introduced three types of .22 Conversion Units (Ace) for the 1911A1. The first was for the Series 70 and the slide did not have the cut out for the firing pin block safety. The second model was made specifically for the Series 80 and did have the cut out. This unit could also be used for the Series 70. Both of these conversion units featured a steel slide and a Williams' floating chamber which simulated the recoil of the bigger 45 ACP. Flip the slide over and see if there's a cutout for the Series 80 firing pin block. If it doesn't have it, you have to remove the firing pin safety lever from your Series 80 (or modify it) to make it work.

The current unit is an aluminum slide straight blowback job and lacks the floating chamber. It appears to be based on the Ceiner design.

JNewell
May 16, 2000, 11:56 AM
4V50 Gary --

The conversion unit is pretty old; it was my father's when he was a kid (1940s/50s), so it won't have any cutout for the Series 80 safety.

How hard it is to remove the safety?

Is the FP safety in the Series 80s like the mag disconnect in the BHPs, which lots of people remove in order to get a better trigger pull?

paltik
May 17, 2000, 09:46 PM
1st...cock the hammer, remove the manual safety....
2nd....pull trigger while holding the hammer and gently lower the hammer.
3rd....punch out the hammer pin, maybe 1/4...
4th....remove the firing pin safety lever...
5th....push the hammer pin again..
6th...assemble aggain the safety.
period...

JNewell
May 18, 2000, 09:16 AM
Paltik, thanks -- sounds almost like child's work (which means, if I'm lucky, I can do it right!). <|%^p

On a more serious note, just to confirm, there's not mechanical downside to taking the parts out -- nothing else is affected, mechanically? Like on the BHP, removing the mag disconnect?

paltik
May 18, 2000, 07:51 PM
im sure, nothing will get wrong...

4V50 Gary
May 19, 2000, 04:55 PM
Paltik's instructions are good and no malfunctions should occur from following them. The parts are easily restored to the gun when you want a 45 again.

JNewell
May 19, 2000, 09:35 PM
I didn't realize, until I stripped the Series 80, how relatively simple the Series 80 FP safety parts setup in the receiver is. I took out both "doohickies," although I'm wondering if it isn't worth while having the lower one in -- wouldn't drag on anything but might act like a shim to keep things tight?

[I have now replaced the lower lever so that the disconnector and sear are kept in their intended places on the sear pin.]

Seems pretty clear that with the upper lever gone, I can use the older conversion unit, which is nice.

Thanks, guys!

[This message has been edited by JNewell (edited May 21, 2000).]