PDA

View Full Version : Value of a smith and Wesson 3906?!?

Richardscarry
November 21, 2015, 11:06 PM
Hello! So I recently bought this Smith and Wesson model 3906, and I haven't been able to find a whole bunch of information about them. I was curious if anyone knows a value on these bad boys! Great condition and came with one magazine! Thanks in advance!

Jim Watson
November 21, 2015, 11:10 PM
Do you not think you paid fair value for it?

Richardscarry
November 21, 2015, 11:39 PM
No, I feel like I got a good deal. I paid $150 for it. Just curious if anyone knows an actual value if I decide to try and resell it. It's a great gun. However I have smaller hands and the grip is a little wide.

Big Shrek
November 21, 2015, 11:54 PM
Depending on condition and the area of the country you are in, around $600.
So ya practically stole it!!

It had a low count (around 2600 made during two years), so it is a keeper :)
It'll either have an 8-rd or 9-rd mag...dependant on what state it was originally shipped to.
Check Midway for additional 9-rd'ers...

There are two major S&W forums that can get exquisitely into great detail about your pistol.
Usually hit one before here, and the other after here ;)
This post is particularly dead-on... http://smith-wessonforum.com/137896556-post40.html

BTW, does it happen to have San Jose PD markings??

Got Pics?? ;)

If it has a flattish thin rubber grip, that's OEM S&W,
some folks did upgrade to optional OEM Hogue rubber which was thicker/fatter...
wonder if that might be your issue??

Richardscarry
November 22, 2015, 12:16 AM
well that's nice news to hear! I mean I have pretty tiny hands hahaha. Maybe if I get more comfortable grips It will be a little more comfortable for me! Thanks you for the information! I kind of want to trade it for an AR or an AK, but who knows! Sorry for the bad lighting!

Richardscarry
November 22, 2015, 12:17 AM
For some reason it's only letting me upload one at a time

Richardscarry
November 22, 2015, 12:18 AM
And the last photo! It did come with the 9 rounder!

JDBerg
November 22, 2015, 02:29 AM
I bought a LN S&W 659 for $300.00 a few months ago which I thought was a great deal, but $150.00 for that 3906 is far and away the best gun deal I can remember seeing anywhere! Congrats & Welcome!

Richardscarry
November 22, 2015, 11:41 AM
I had a feeling I got a great deal, didn't know it was such a good one! From what I read this model is pretty hard to find! Now I kind of want to try and trade it for an AR :/

Badfinger
November 22, 2015, 07:17 PM
I would be very suspicious of this purchase at the reported price, which is well below the market value of the pistol.

Richardscarry
November 22, 2015, 07:29 PM
I would be very suspicious of this purchase at the reported price, which is well below the market value of the pistol.

Actually purchased it from a family member who had purchased it at the FFL dealer I work for. So I know for a fact it is not stolen. The person who sold it to me just needed more room in the safe. If it wasn't a family member I would of had the local PD run the serial number to double check! Thanks for the concern though! Plus I work at a pawn shop so I get stupid good prices on guns!!!
Check out this mossberg 500 I got for $200

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/22/4a69a68e437154f9e8958e4ceb636356.jpg

stormyone
November 22, 2015, 08:43 PM
That's a pretty gun. Would you like to double your money? ;-)

Richardscarry
November 22, 2015, 09:03 PM
That's a pretty gun. Would you like to double your money? ;-)

Thank you! I'm actually torn between wanting to trade it for an AR or an AK, or just keeping it. She shoots wonderfully!

JDBerg
November 23, 2015, 11:50 AM
At one of the LGS's that I frequent, a nice 3913 that comes in for sale or in trade never makes it into the used gun case, the employees or the owner snap these up for themselves.

I'm thinking you would at least triple your investment if you wanted to sell it outright, or get that much trade value towards another new gun.

Richardscarry
November 23, 2015, 11:51 AM
At one of the LGS's that I frequent, a nice 3913 that comes in for sale or in trade never makes it into the used gun case, the employees or the owner snap these up for themselves.

I'm thinking you would at least triple your investment if you wanted to sell it outright, or get that much trade value towards another new gun.

That's always good to hear :) thank you!

gc70
November 23, 2015, 11:13 PM
You will probably never find a full sized 9mm pistol with a narrower grip than a 3906 with original Delrin grips.

Big Shrek
November 24, 2015, 06:12 PM
Yep, those are the original skinny grips...
Honestly can't think of a thinner Full-Size...

Bart Noir
November 25, 2015, 07:34 PM
I have the big brother, 5906, also with the squared trigger guard and big protected adjustable rear sight. The aggressive look is something I have liked ever since they came on the market, back when I was much younger and way more broke.

You have a fine pistol at a rock-bottom price. It is strong enough for 9mm+P and magazines are still available, if you have any sort of googlish powers.

But if you want to carry it in a holster, you face a bit of work finding holsters for that square trigger guard. Most holster descriptions don't mention which trigger guard. You may have to turn to getting a custom made one. Or not.

And now you have to search for the little brother, the 3913 or 3914. Those are ideal carry guns and can take the full Model 13 magazine.

Bart Noir