PDA

View Full Version : Rhino-lining a firearm?

TVDean
February 9, 2001, 07:57 PM
I was at the Sportsmans Show in Seattle yesterday when I walked by the truck bed coating vendors. The vendor I was most impressed with was something called "bullhide".

I was thinking that this would be a great finish for rugged use firearms. The stuff has a rubber feel, pebble finish, and is tough as nails!

You wouldn't have to worry about corrosion again, the rubberized coat would protect against common bangs and scratches, and the handlability of the weapon would be improved in wet, cold conditions.

I can't think of another firearm finish that would come close to what this coat could offer. The only problem is that it's pretty thick, like 1/16".

Hmmmmmm?

Rottweiler
February 10, 2001, 12:16 PM
how would something like that hold up to the heat generated by some extended rapid fire?

TVDean
February 10, 2001, 12:48 PM
Very good point!

Jim V
February 10, 2001, 07:05 PM
We could have a 1919A4 barrel done up with the stuff and find out after a 250 round belt.

Spectre
February 10, 2001, 08:41 PM
My guess would be that a rubberized coating would retain heat, instead of dissipating it.

Rottweiler
February 11, 2001, 05:35 PM
My guess is it would melt, smoke and smell awful

Daniel Watters
February 12, 2001, 12:41 AM
I think that it might be better suited for the gripping surfaces of polymer pistol frames and rifle stocks.

burrhead
February 12, 2001, 09:37 AM
I have Rhino-liner sprayed on my truck out here in the desert. As far as resisting heat, let's see, hmmmm, it gets to 120 in the shade around here, call it 150 in the direct sun. Bet that Rhinoed surface approches 180+. How hot do you let you're gun get? I don't think heats a problem. Contact the manufacturer to be sure. It sure would be ugly on a gun though. I'd rather live with honest scratches and wear. Just MHO.

WalterGAII
February 12, 2001, 03:38 PM
That Rhino liner is great for insulating Para's, when firing .40 Super! :)

jimc
February 12, 2001, 06:49 PM
i use the dupli-color spray on bed liner for doing "evil" guns stocks. i would tend to stay away from it on actual gun barrel's as it would retain (act as a reverse insulator) the heat coming off the barrel.

Spectre
February 13, 2001, 04:42 PM
Roger. It would seem ideal for grips and such, bad for barrel and other metal parts that need to radiate heat.

Wallew
February 14, 2001, 01:36 PM
Folk, don't forget that a rifle barrel actually vibrates every time you shoot it. So, if you rhinoed the stock/barrel combination, you would have to make sure that the barrel was properly floated or you might affect accuracy.

If you want a good handle on the rifle STOCK, consider using acraglass or acragel, applied to the stock with a sponge. It may take two or three layers, but you end up with a very weather proof and easily gripped stock. In my opinion, it's fairly ugly, but it does have it's uses, especially when combined with a stainless steel metal.