PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new semi auto

MRYANJ99
October 28, 2015, 12:51 PM
Greetings TFLer's. I'm in the market for a semi-auto for home defense and CCW. I've been looking all over and am not sure what I'm looking for. For starts, I'm a revolver guy and don't know much about semi's. My last semi was a Glock 23 and while it was a great gun, it just didn't feel like the right gun for me. I also have had a few Taurus semi's and didn't care for them. So I've got a few constraints in what I want in a semi-auto and if anyone has any input/advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Constraints:
-metal frame
-hammer fired
-SA/DA trigger
-safety decocker
-9mm (would consider a .45, but no .40)
-at least 10 round capacity
-hefty, but not too terribly heavy to conceal
-decent sights or customizable sights
-not terribly expensive ($700 max to leave room for ammo/holster/etc)

If anyone has any ideas that would fit the criteria I've posted above, it would be a tremendous help. I'm a little unversed in semi autos and my LGS keeps mostly sells Glock, M&P's, 1911's and XD's. They're all fine guns, but I just don't care for them.

chemcal
October 28, 2015, 01:00 PM
Sig p229 in 9 mm; no safty just decocker; for full size, p226.

TunnelRat
October 28, 2015, 01:01 PM
So you mean it has to have both a safety and a decocker? Or is just a dedicated decocker enough? If you need both then either a Beretta 92 Compact or a S&W 5906/5903 or 6906 comes to mind. If just a dedicated decocker is enough then a used SIG P228/P229 or a CZ P-01 or PCR.

Wishoot
October 28, 2015, 01:03 PM
CZ75 BD for the win.

MRYANJ99
October 28, 2015, 01:07 PM
I was hoping for a saftey that acts as a decocker like on a Beretta M9. I want to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber and no safety switch engaged. I don't trust manual safetys, and I'm not sure how easy it is to thumb the hammer down on a semi auto. I don't even like doing it on revolvers.

But a dedicated decocker would work as well.

Wishoot
October 28, 2015, 01:34 PM
Well if the CZ75 BD doesn't do it for you, look into a Gen3 S&W semiauto.

Limnophile
October 28, 2015, 01:50 PM
CZ 75 PCR: http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-d-pcr-compact-black-alloy-9mm-14-rd-mags/.

chemcal
October 28, 2015, 01:56 PM
had a CZ 75 BD few years back;put over 1000 rounds thru it trying to adjust to the SA hammer cam. Sold it. p228/229 are excellent.

BarryLee
October 28, 2015, 02:04 PM
Check out the Stoeger Cougar which was once the Beretta Cougar. Stoeger is fully owned by Beretta and the guns have a good reputation.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/cougar-pistol

vyse.04
October 28, 2015, 02:26 PM
A Sig or CZ would both be good choices. I'm a bit more partial to Sig, but CZ 75 models shoot good as well.

jmhyer
October 28, 2015, 02:46 PM
+1 for the P226

If you could drop the metal frame criterion, you could get a sweet gun for a great price in the SP2022

dgludwig
October 28, 2015, 02:53 PM
As has been suggested, a discontinued but still readily available S&W 5906 pistol would fit your needs precisely-especially if unsurpassed reliability and durability are important to you.

Sevens
October 28, 2015, 03:29 PM
Huge fan of the S&W 5906 here, but the weight would be a dealbreaker for the criteria laid down by the OP. A better choice would be the S&W 915 or the 5903.

The 915 in particular could be had for PEANUTS and leaves a lot of money left over for a holster, mags and ammo.

TailGator
October 28, 2015, 03:34 PM
The criteria sounded to me like a description of a Beretta 92FS Compact.

Ernest T
October 28, 2015, 04:40 PM
Another vote for a CZ 75 BD. Sweet!!!

skizzums
October 28, 2015, 04:52 PM
here is my suggestion, and I have no second thought about recommending this "affordable" pistol to everyone on earth.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tristar-products-t-100-9mm-semiautomatic-pistol
very hard to find a bad review on these pistols, an absolute CZ copy, internally anyways, with a slightly better trigger. not as refined, mostly in the finish department, but mechanically it is the most reliable pistol I have ever owned. I gotta be close to 10k rounds with not a very single failure of any kind, ever. I also have no issue with you running out and grabbing a real CZ, but I would make sure first by owning one of these very nice clones and making sure it's the platform I want to stick with. I will never let go of my Tri-Star, I don't trust anything like I do it.

DA/SA Fan
October 28, 2015, 05:17 PM
Love my TriStar too but it doesn't have the de-cocker that the OP wants. I would go for the CZ 75 D PCR as suggested already if the de-cocker is a must have. Personally I have no problems with the manual safety. It's really not that big of a deal.

StrutStopper
October 28, 2015, 05:23 PM
CZ75BD for the heft, PCR if you're going to carry. I couldn't decide on just one so I have both. I carry the PCR and keep it in my bedside safe for HD and primarily use the BD for a range gun, but it would make a great SD gun as well, just not as light or concealable.

chris in va
October 28, 2015, 08:17 PM
CZ P01.

I had a 75 BD for years, and at some point realized it was a bit heavy for carry with 16+ on board. My P01 does everything my 75 did but lighter, more compact and has a rail for acessories.

JWT
October 28, 2015, 09:10 PM
CZ PCR sound like exactly what you're looking for. Solid, accurate, well made guns.

db4570
October 28, 2015, 11:00 PM
The S&W 3rd gens have a real following. It sounds like several would meet your criteria perfectly. I have the CS9 which for a metal 9 is really light and small, but it only holds 7+1. A lot of the other Gen 3s have double stack mags with higher capacities.

I had the exact same criteria as you, but I wanted as small and light as possible.

Here is a great comparison chart:

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-smith-wesson-semi-automatic-models/

Also, the S&W forum http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php is a helpful group of guys, and a lot of them are really into the Gen 3.

Good luck! Welcome to autos!

David

MRYANJ99
October 29, 2015, 09:07 AM
Thank you guys so much for the responses. I've done some more research on the models you guys suggested and I'll have to get a rental range here soon and try out a few of them. So far the CZ P01 seems like the best fit, but I'll have to do more research. But I also like what I've read about Berettas and Sigs. I really appreciate the help. I think I've got a pretty good jumping off point with my search. Thanks again.

lee n. field
October 29, 2015, 01:15 PM
Constraints:
-metal frame
-hammer fired
-SA/DA trigger
-safety decocker
-9mm (would consider a .45, but no .40)
-at least 10 round capacity
-hefty, but not too terribly heavy to conceal
-decent sights or customizable sights
-not terribly expensive ($700 max to leave room for ammo/holster/etc)

Bersa Thunder Ultra Carry Pro.

Bullrock
October 29, 2015, 01:52 PM
Check out the Stoeger Cougar which was once the Beretta Cougar.

To my knowledge the Stoeger Cougar is mfg'd in Turkey. I believe that Beretta sold that line of pistols along time ago. The Cougar Compact is a very good gun, and exactly what you're looking for. I know that because I've been looking for a gun, liked you've described in your post, for the past month.

I owned a Cougar for about three years. It looks like a PX4, feels like a PX4, and shoots like a PX4. It took everything I put in it, and never hiccuped. To dress it up a bit, I replaced the grips with light colored wood. It is selling on the Internet for around $400.00.

I made my decision yesterday, and purchased a Beretta PX4 at Bud's Gun Shop for $436.00. The reason for not choosing the Cougar was, when the price is about the same "Beretta" will bring more money at trade & resale.

I've watched allot of video's regarding the Beretta PX4 and the Cougar on "Youtube". The demonstrator's all seemed to be astonished at the feel, quality, trigger, & accuracy of both. I assume that's because some folks view this pistol as "Bulky" or "Ugly" so they buy something pretty. I find the PX4 attractive. But it's a personal matter of taste?

I've carried a compact, and a full size PX4 in a leather slide holster for years without a problem with conceal-ability or weight. Of course the compact is easier to carry, and will provide everything you need for Home Defense, at the Range, or Carry.

If you haven't already, you will find the Beretta P92 is a great gun, but expensive. I wish that I could afford one, but until I can, the PX4 is all I need in a semi. Oh yeah. The full size PX4 17rd. Mags. The compact carries 15.

AzShooter
October 29, 2015, 02:00 PM
Good luck with the Berreta. I'm sure you will get lots of use with it.

Enjoy your shooting.:)

labhound
October 29, 2015, 02:03 PM
Beretta owns Stoeger and the Cougar is manufactured on original Beretta machinery in Turkey. I have both the fullsize PX4 9mm and the Stoeger Cougar 8000F 9mm. Both excellent guns. The Cougar actually feels better in my hand and both are very accurate. You won't go wrong with either.