PDA

View Full Version : Glock 43 vs Smith&Wesson M&P Shield

post-political
October 10, 2015, 10:42 AM
Hello 2nd Amendment Comrades

I had been searching reviews and forums for awhile, looking for a subcompact .9mm for concealed carry. Finally, I boiled it down to two; the Glock 43 and the M&P Shield.
Reasons:
I had wanted a striker fired pistol, over a hammer. (Just my preference. No knock against hammers.)
I wanted a sub-compact that wasn't too small.
I like both brands; I already own and love my G19, but also like S&W's.

Additionally, you get more capacity, and more for your money with the Shield, but that didn't weigh into my decision.

Then a friend bought the G43 and brought it to the range, where I tried it. It shot great, felt pretty good, but a little thin in the grip.
A week later I had gone to the gun store, and put an M&P Shield in my hand. The fit was perfect, so I bought it.
Yesterday, I put around 80 rounds through it - perfect. Like many of the reviews I had read, it shot and felt like a bigger gun; I definitely agree. I couldn't be happier with the Shield.
I would recommend either pistol, but for me the Shield won the day.

Any thoughts?

mrray13
October 10, 2015, 12:35 PM
Honestly, I couldn't agree more. The Shield 9 my wife carries off duty shoots,and handles, like a full size, without feeling like a full size.. It's accurate, controllable, and very ergonomic. And the thing disappears in a pocket, yet carries well in owb. Definitely a S&W homerun.

My chief deputy has the 43, another deputy bought his wife a 42 for off duty, and I think both are decent in how they feel. I have yet to shoot one, although I might try and borrow the 43 a dispatcher just won in a raffle. Honestly, they are probably fine firearms, but they are still just a Glock.

SEKLEM
October 10, 2015, 01:59 PM
I really like my Shield. It manages recoil well for such a small gun. I also prefer the stock sights on the Shield to those on the Glock. The Shield's melonite finish is sleek and soaks up oil well. It works well for pocket carry, iwb, and owb. It's not too big or too small, it's just right. :)

Big Shrek
October 10, 2015, 02:34 PM
This right here shows you made the appropriate decision.

A week later I had gone to the gun store, and put an M&P Shield in my hand. The fit was perfect, so I bought it.

Gun Feel is so very important...its like shoes.
If something fits right, you love it. If the fit is off, tend to not be used...

This is why you don't pick a gun for your wife, you find out what FITS her, then buy it.
Had a Taurus 24/7-Compact, Wife fired it, confiscated it, loved it :)
On her next birthday she received a Pink 24/7C, at which time she gave me mine back ;)

Dirty_Harry
October 12, 2015, 12:31 PM
I am going against the masses and saying the Glock. That's what I went with. I like the trigger on the Glock better. That and with the flush mag it was slightly smaller as it is a pocket carry gun. I also tend to trust Glocks more.

That being said, if you like the Smith get it. It has several advantages. Price, ergos and capacity.

Ernest T
October 12, 2015, 05:04 PM
I went through the same process. Shot both, and ended up with the Shield. I liked the feel of the Shield better in my hand. The Shield also seemed to have a little less recoil than the Glock to me. Plus, I liked the sights better on the Shield, and as a result of this and the above I was more accurate with the Shield.

I put a LaserMax laser on mine. Never been a big fan of lasers, but this LaserMax really works nice on this gun.

ttheel
October 12, 2015, 08:21 PM
Larry Vickers and the staff at Vickers Tactical would agree with you decision on the Shield. They all picked the Shield over the Glock. Vickers is a major Glock guy also. See below.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdYH2M7CJN4

ttheel
October 14, 2015, 08:31 AM
I am thinking about picking up a Shield in 9mm myself.

MarkCO
October 14, 2015, 08:37 AM
I prefer the Shield over the G43 as well. But I prefer the Kahr PM9 over both.

claydoctor
October 16, 2015, 08:36 PM
Ashamed to say how many handguns I have bought over the last 50 years looking for something perfect . The Shield comes close .