PDA

View Full Version : Bulgarian Makarov?

Model12Win
October 8, 2015, 10:25 PM
Looks like there's been some recent imports of Bulgarian made Makarov pistols in 9x18mm Makarov and they are for sale on a few different milsurp dealer's website. Check it:

http://www.southernohiogun.com/bulgarian-makarov-pistols-unissued-condition.html

My question is... would you buy this? I love Mosin Nagants so I really like the eastern blok guns, and have been interested in them for a while. Are these Bulgarian Makarovs good guns? I might have to get one.

What do you guys think of these, and Makarovs in general?

TunnelRat
October 8, 2015, 10:54 PM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567565

Scroll down the main page.

9x18_Walther
October 8, 2015, 10:55 PM
If we are talking strictly for practical use, then no. A Makarov is a poor choice. Straight blowback instead of short recoil, hard to find parts, low magazine capacity, hard to obtain magazines, obscure ammunition, questionably heavy DA pull. There are much better choices at this price range for a practical handgun.

Are we talking about a range pistol for someone who likes milsurps and oddities? Hell yeah! :D

Really depends on your intended use.

drobs
October 8, 2015, 11:12 PM
Maks seem to come and go over the years. I'm tempted to get one but will probably pass.

I have a FEG PA-63 that fulfills my wanting of another 9x18 caliber gun and my Walther PPK longings. I rarely shoot it and can't imagine I'd shoot the Makarov any more often.

That being said it's kinda of fun to own representatives of combloc handguns.
Tokarevs, Nagant Revolvers, and Makarovs.

Ammo is available but it isn't exactly inexpensive.

9x18 = $10.95 a box
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/9x18-mak-ammo

volkstrm
October 8, 2015, 11:17 PM
For sure you should buy it. The Bulgarian Makarav's are very good Makarav's. The only Makarav that is better is the East German Makarav's. I have all 3 the Russian, East German & Bulgarian. When I got my Bulgarian Mak you could not really find them anymore. Mine was in great shape & the two mags match the gun. I paid $275.00 so that's a good deal. If I had ex-cash I would get one before there is no more left. They look great!!

Model12Win
October 8, 2015, 11:51 PM
Straight blowback instead of short recoil

I agree with your other points, but how does this unto itself count as a negative against the Makarov?

JohnKSa
October 9, 2015, 12:14 AM
The one I had some years ago was a very solid little pistol. It shot well, was perfectly reliable and was small enough to be a feasible carry pistol.

Negatives: Recoil is stout due to the blowback operation.
The heel-release for the magazine was a little different.
Heavy for its size due to the all-steel construction. That could be a positive or negative, depending on whether you're carrying or shooting.
Sights are tiny.
Capacity is on the low side for a gun that size/weight.

Would I buy one today? Probably not--I paid under $140 for mine, as I recall. It was a great deal at that price.

JimmyR
October 9, 2015, 12:18 AM
If we are talking strictly for practical use, then no. A Makarov is a poor choice. Straight blowback instead of short recoil, hard to find parts, low magazine capacity, hard to obtain magazines, obscure ammunition, questionably heavy DA pull. There are much better choices at this price range for a practical handgun.

Are we talking about a range pistol for someone who likes milsurps and oddities? Hell yeah!

Really depends on your intended use.

I disagree strongly with most of this post:

1)The blowback design, while it may not be commonly used today, was picked for it's simplicity and reliability, both of which are still valuable qualities today. It also allows for a fixed barrel design, which improves accuracy tremendously.
2) Parts are not that difficult to find, especially on milsurp sites like: www.buymilsurp.com, which is where I got all the parts I needed to fix my non-functioning Makarov a few years ago. There were a lot of these pistols made, and there are still plenty of parts. Inaddition, a cursory search of eBay will give you plenty of options for parts for the Makarov.
3) The Makarov has an 8 rd magazine, which is fairly normal for single stack pistols that many people choose to carry.
4) Original fagazines are easily obtainable on eBay (typically around $20-$25 each) and there are companies making replicas and aftermarket options as well.
5) While you don't find much in terms of ball ammo in stores, most big box stores will have defense ammo, and multiple options. As for FMJs, if yous local big box store doesn't have it, it can be found fairly cheaply online for steel cased wolf/brown bear varieties, which actually work very well in the Makarov.
6) The trigger pull is decent for a SA/DA pistol, but I'll give you this one.

In short, no, the Makarov is not a Glock. What you get, in my opinion, is a smaller, more compact carry option in a steel frame that will serve you just as well as any other pistol of it's size. It's a reliable, accurate shooter, even with those teeny little GI sights. With 27 parts, you should never need a gunsmith, as most people with two hands should be able to make any repairs that need to be made, aside from working on the frame. The 9x18 round is a quality defensive round, especially with great options from Hornady, BUffalo Bore, Underwood, etc for carry.

Personally, I think a Makarov is a good carry gun, but an even better bugout bag gun. The simplicity in design means that it will go for as long as you need it to. Like most Russian firearm designs, this gun was made for extreme environments, and mine has yet to disappoint from the day I fixed it.

All that said, I don't carry mine very often anymore. I have a few others that I prefer to carry, and honestly don't get to carry very often due to my work. That said, I have carried mine, and wouldn't hesitate to put it back in it's holster while I'm out tomorrow.

Ignition Override
October 9, 2015, 01:13 AM
My Makarovs consist of the East German, Bulgy and a commercial Russian single-stack.
The recoil doesn't even really compare to my former, all-original "Made In West Germany" PPK/S (.380 Auto).

The DA pull on these Maks is not nearly as heavy. All three of them are more pleasant to shoot, without a doubt.
The trigger pull on each is smooth in DA, and requires extra pressure at the end of the pull.

Even with the extra pressure on the trigger, a good bit better than the PPK/S.
And the EG Mak, the best, requires a fairly constant pressure at the end.

These very clear impressions are exactly why I quickly lost interest in the PPK/S (sold it) and bought the Maks plus two Polish P-83s: the P-83's DA trigger is even better than the DA pull of the EG Mak.

$25 for an extra magazine, easily found on E-Bay, is considered expensive?:confused: Do people not know about, or pretend to be unaware of E-Bay?;)
There are plenty of spare parts with so many of the guns available. It was very rewarding to find excellent, reliable guns which are solid with no plastic. They were the standard sidearm in the Soviet Empire for many years, even issued to Spetznaz special forces.

9x18_Walther
October 9, 2015, 02:00 AM
$25 for an extra magazine, easily found on E-Bay, is considered expensive? Do people not know about, or pretend to be unaware of E-Bay?

My concern is with the lack of reliable aftermarket Makarov PM magazines.

Nothing wrong with eBay, but the supply and demand is not very predicable or constant.

Ibmikey
October 9, 2015, 04:39 AM
My "collection" includes pistols from all the Comblock participants that i have been able to find. I jumped on the unissued Makarev and received an as new pistol with the accompanying log book showing it's service in Slovakia. Of all these pistols the P 64 and to a lesser degree the PA 63 are the most unplesant to shoot, i have no difficulty with the rest with the CZ 82 and EG Mak being the easiest. Upon firing a couple of boxes of ammo through the new Bulgarian Mak it was accurate, functioned without a hitch, dripped grease that i missed upon cleaning and was easy on recoil. I do not carry any of the Comblock pistols as i have others for that job, however i would feel quite comfortable with any of them (except the P 64) in a self defense situation.

JimmyR
October 9, 2015, 05:52 AM

Nothing wrong with eBay, but the supply and demand is not very predicable or constant.

Just wondering, how are you basing that conclusion regarding reliable magazines? Which aftermarket mags have you had issues with?

Doyle
October 9, 2015, 07:51 AM
Why in the world would you want an aftermarket Makarov magazine when the real thing is both abundant and affordable?

This is a milsurp for crying out loud - not a modern production pistol.

9x18_Walther
October 9, 2015, 09:05 AM
Why in the world would you want an aftermarket Makarov magazine when the real thing is both abundant and affordable?

This is a milsurp for crying out loud - not a modern production pistol.

Future availability is an issue. I really don't want to stock up on magazines.

The ProMag 10 round magazines are/were junk. They are obviously not made anymore. Any other aftermarket magazines on the market?

TunnelRat
October 9, 2015, 09:29 AM
Future availability is an issue. I really don't want to stock up on magazines.

They made a heck of a lot of maks.

9x18_Walther
October 9, 2015, 09:39 AM
They made a heck of a lot of maks.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if the importation of firearms, accessories, and parts becomes a touchy subject in the next few years.

drobs
October 9, 2015, 10:26 AM
Looks like Classic Firearms has them too for the same price.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/makarov-bulgarian-9x18-semi-auto-excellent-like-new

SOG is the better deal with free shipping. I like the holster and accessories.
Very tempting but already spent my gun budget this month...

TunnelRat
October 9, 2015, 11:15 AM
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if the importation of firearms, accessories, and parts becomes a touchy subject in the next few years.

Maybe. But these are 8 rd mags and there are already a lot of them here. My point is you can what if until the end of time.

lowercase
October 9, 2015, 12:20 PM
Makarovs are awesome little guns, and are my favorite com-bloc pistol by a wide margin.

They are great shooters, and one is in my CCW lineup.

The more I own Maks, the more I like them.

Obviously, I would recommend buying at least one. :D

chupps
October 9, 2015, 02:33 PM
I say buy it. I own 2 Russian Maks. There are great reasons already mentioned, but mine is in my carry rotation because I am very accurate with it.

Ibmikey
October 9, 2015, 09:28 PM
My ffl buddy that i had my Mak purchase sent to saw it and ordered four more. I checked them out today and took a second for myself, all were as new and smelling highly of iron curtain grease ( as opposed to sweet smelling free world grease).

JimmyR
October 9, 2015, 11:37 PM

Maybe. But these are 8 rd mags and there are already a lot of them here. My point is you can what if until the end of time.

I second what TunnelRat said. But I have to address the elephant in the room:

Why in the world is a guy with the name "9x18 Walther" advising AGAINST the pistol that was made for the 9x18 cartridge?

kozak6
October 10, 2015, 02:29 AM
It depends on what you want it for.

As a pistol, the Makarov is well regarded for high accuracy and reliability. The design is also highly simplified in the Soviet tradition.

The Bulgarian Makarovs in particular are well regarded for relatively high fit and finish.

Would I personally buy one for myself? No. Should you buy one? Maybe.

As a Soviet-style general purpose or range pistol, it's an ok choice. For a defense or carry pistol, you might be better suited with a more modern option.

These days, the pistol is expensive for what you get. At $330, options start to open up.

Compared to more modern pistols, the Makarov is heavy, low capacity, and less powerful than a 9x19.

The ammo is an issue. Walmart doesn't carry it, nor do most sporting goods store. Do any of the gun shops near you carry it? Mine don't. You will need to order it online or get gouged at a gunshow. Online availability and price tend to vary wildly. There's a few months in recent times where it dried up almost completely due to events overseas.

As a cartridge, it's somewhere between a .380 and 9x19. Ammo is generally more expensive than 9x19. Modern defense ammo is available at modern defense ammo prices.

It can be be converted to .380 if you are so inclined.

In conclusion, for a Soviet fun gun, it's a good choice if you don't mind issues with the ammo supply.

9x18_Walther
October 10, 2015, 02:32 AM
Why in the world is a guy with the name "9x18 Walther" advising AGAINST the pistol that was made for the 9x18 cartridge?

I was waiting for that. I may have come off a bit strong. :) I very much enjoy 9x18 Makarov. I should also let you know that my username could also represent the 9x18 Ultra chambered Walther PP Super. I like to think of it as either.

Buy the Makarov, it's a great pistol. But I'd recommend something else for CCW or home defense. I don't know what the OP is looking for; range toy or CCW?

Any gun that is reliable gets a check in my book. :D

I still think the S&W Model 10 is a great revolver which everyone should own. Do I recommend it for defensive purposes? Not so much.

Pilot
October 10, 2015, 07:23 PM
I sometimes carry a Bulgarian Makarov. They are fine for carry, and general shooting. I share JimmyR's thoughts on the pistol, so don't need to repeat them.

VonFatman
October 14, 2015, 09:15 AM
My only concerns after having owned a commercial Russian, several Bulgarian and a pair of E. German maks....

Trigger pull was tough on all but one of the East German guns.

The finish made for daily wipe-downs (or more in humid climates)

Seems to me to be more of a standby gun rather than a daily CCW.

Your mileage may vary.

Bob

Martellus
October 14, 2015, 09:38 AM
It was the only semi-auto gun that never malfunctioned on me (I only put 300-400 rounds through it). I will pick up another one at some point.

slaf4u
October 15, 2015, 05:42 AM
Pre 1989 -YES!
Post 1989-NO
1989 - if you feel lucky

Ibmikey
October 15, 2015, 06:21 AM
Slaf, Would you care to expand your post? Are there reasons for the pistol to be undesireable after 1988 ? All of mine are before that date but curious anyway.

tallball
October 15, 2015, 06:27 AM
I have a Russian Mak that I bought NIB for $149 in the late 1980's. It has been completely reliable and is surprisingly accurate. It is kind of heavy for cc, but I would recommend it to anyone who wanted a tough reliable pistol. The trigger pull is pretty good on mine. I don't recall if it was always that way, or if many thousands of rounds have smoothed it out.

slaf4u
October 15, 2015, 07:50 AM
Well, the democracy has arrived in 1989 in Bulgaria. Some say it was for good, some - the opposite. The fact is - before 1989 there was so called Army acceptance, or... I don't know how to translate it in English. The idea was that the production was thoroughly tested before accepting and paying. If something was wrong with quality the whole batch was returned to the manufacturer. After 199x this practice was closed, logically the quality dropped.
Probably you'll see the differences for yourself if you compare a handgun from 1985 and one from 1995 :)

Trooper Joe
October 15, 2015, 08:09 PM
My Bulgarion Makarov with Marschal grips is a real "Barbeque" gun. (Just learned that term while working in Texas last summer. I guess it means a great show off gun.)

It has a great DA trigger and an even greater single action trigger. Very accurate and prints one ragged hole at 20 feet, a little above point of aim.

Some folks do not like the European style mag release but this gun and my P-64 really do it right. The mag drops freely into the gun and only catches on the retainer at the bottom. In other words, the mag retainer system does not drag on the entire length of the mag like a Sig 232 and similar guns do.

I also like the fact that I do not feel like I am ruining the gun by shooting Russian made steel case ammo. It burns really clean and is also is very accurate.

Trooper Joe

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/bmwjoey/Bulgariaan%20Makarov%20with%20wood%20grips.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bmwjoey/media/Bulgariaan%20Makarov%20with%20wood%20grips.jpg.html)

Ibmikey
October 16, 2015, 04:08 AM
Slaf, Guess i will with hold my comments until comparing the later pistol however, i do not support the blanket theory that because outside demands were different the factory would immediately cut the quality of their product. In fact i would think the opposite as they are suddenly in free world competition for sales.

slaf4u
October 16, 2015, 06:45 AM
Ibmikey, no problem with that. I personally don't own a PM but have shot it quite a bit. The hand gun "old-army" production last much longer at the shooting ranges than the "new-ones". I carried one from the old ones in my military service.
Would like to see someone else's opinion on that.

JJ45
October 16, 2015, 06:49 AM
To OP, NO BRAINER

Like the AK47, SKS, Mosin, etc. the Mak was built for war by people who experienced it at its worst and by weapons designers who knew the stakes.

These weapons were made for the real thing and to function reliably in the harsh deserts of Kazakstan and the frozen wastes of Siberia., etc.

I own 4 MILITARY Maks. Two EGs and two Bulgarians. The EGs are cosmetically finished better but in terms of function and reliability, including double and single action trigger pull, there is little discernible difference between any of them.

The difference is, when I got into Maks they were considerably cheaper and without a doubt one of the best firearms bargains ever offered.

JJ45
October 16, 2015, 08:57 AM
also... there was another good reason the Makarov was a desirable weapon when they were inexpensive and that is AMMO. Quantities of Russian steel case ammo from Wolf, Barnaul, etc. (I think all from the same factories) could be had at very cheap prices...The Mak was actually designed around this ammo. This ammo is obviously still available but at much higher prices.

This ammo had/has lacquered cases and was usually sealed at the primer pockets and case mouth. The Russians have apparently done away with this practice but some is still available this way....This would indicate that quantities could be kept if stored correctly and also allow a lot of shooting for practice.

But alas, the prices for this ammo, just like the pistols, are more than double what they were say 10 or 15 years ago. 9X18 cost about the same as 9MM and in some places costs even more!

Pilot
October 18, 2015, 07:11 AM
^^^^^^^^^For anything to "double" in price over 15 years only requires a 4.7% increase per year. Therefor 9x18 ammo has only gone up slightly higher than inflation. To call it "expensive" is a true misnomer. If bought on line 9x18 can be had a reasonable cost. It is also less expensive than most .380 which many people buy and shoot with no issue with cost.

Ibmikey
October 18, 2015, 07:34 AM
I just bought a thousand Brown Bear for $220. Delivered, i do not think one can beat that with .380. As reported the days of cheap import ammo of any caliber seem to be a thing of the past. I really enjoy shooting my Com bloc pistols and have representation pieces from most of them, the CZ 82 being my favorite followed by the Mak's.

JJ45
October 19, 2015, 11:13 AM
You are correct Pilot but I seem to remember 9X18 being considerably cheaper than its big brother 9X19 back then. I could be wrong about that but being a reloader I remember not even considering loading 9X18 back then. When you figure in the work, cost of components, etc. it just wasn't cost effective given that good ammo could be had for cheap.

IBMikey reports $220 for a case of Brown Bear which is a pretty good price but I just bought a case of Speer Lawman 115 FMJ 9MM for $199.80 plus $15 to ship from SGAmmo. So things have more than evened out over the years. At least that's my impression.

Pilot
October 19, 2015, 08:37 PM
JJ45, I think compared to 9x19, 9x18 is not the value it used to be but compared to .380, I think it is still relatively reasonable. I reload also, and may start cutting 9x19 brass and reloading 9x18 at some point.

qwiksdraw
October 22, 2015, 07:55 PM
Academy has steel case 9X18 Monarch ammo for $10.99 a box. I shoot this ammo all the time, it is reliable and consistent.

With free shipping for orders over $25, you could buy 500 rounds for for $110!!!

Get some:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/monarch8482%3B-fmj-9-x-18-mm-makarov-94-grain-pistol-ammunition?repChildCatid=153412

Ignition Override
October 22, 2015, 11:39 PM
For people with several guns in 9x18:), a Mak or CZ-83 in .380 Auto keeps you from having an entire category of guns vulnerable to a 'possible' future ban/high tax on Russian ammo.

9x18 Walther: That's a very good reminder about ever-present threats to imported military handguns. They are taking one bite at a time, like a small school of piranha fish. When the Feds delay a certain ban, state politicians do it because of support in the leftist urban areas which prefer Big Govt making their decisions for them.

If a certain mass tragedy involved a Makarov, any remaining foreign stockpiles could be banned from import. All the Antis are waiting for are unthinkable events, which they can exploit for political benefit.
Obama admitted using the Roseburg OR comm. college nightmare "for political gain".:rolleyes:

I read personal remarks that a Seattle murder of a Federal Prosecutor years ago was the pretext for the ban on Russian military Makarovs.
Is this fairly accurate (the story, not the gun)?

Ibmikey
October 23, 2015, 09:29 AM
If the foreign supply of 9x18 dries up i feel some of the slack will be taken up by American manufacturers. Where there is demand there will soon be supply from additional producers. In the mean time, like i do with all calibers, a few thousand will always be on the shelf.

JJ45
October 23, 2015, 04:51 PM
I agree, if there is demand there will be a supplier, but demand ( and supply ) also influences price...

The left is at it "one bite at a time" for very sure. That is leftist strategy.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the current ruling class decides to ban imports of Russian ammo using Russian aggression in the middle east as a lame excuse.

This would be an example of "a bite"...... I'm surprised they haven't done so already.

Deaf Smith
October 23, 2015, 05:54 PM
Pawn shop near me has a circle 10 Bulgarian Mak for $299.

Straw colored hammer and safety.

Considering $300 buys you a Kel-Tec around here, well the Mak is still a good buy.

I do see 9x18 on the shelves (and I reload it to.)

I already have a EG.. Paid $105 back with they were cheep!

Deaf

doofus47
October 23, 2015, 06:14 PM
I have one. I used it for CC for a few years before I could afford better.
Dead nuts reliable. Absolutely genius design that puts together a total of 26 or 27 parts (including mag) while providing da/sa and de-cocker.
Accurate. Powerful enough cartridge. Fits most small hands as a single stack. No recoil to speak of.

I've got a number of other modern pistols now, but I keep my Mak in case I need to loan a gun to someone I like.

JJ45
October 24, 2015, 05:23 AM
doofus47...you make a great description and then say you have better. I know what you mean by that but a couple more qualities of the Mak

1)Chrome bore

2)Complete disassembly without tools if you have the cleaning rod/combo tool which also provides a flat screw driver blade for the grip screw. Use the tip to remove the extractor, trigger pin.

3)The firing pin/safety removal has to be the easiest to remove and reinstall of any handgun.

4) Makarov magazines are also the easiest to strip and maintain. I can completely field strip a Mak mag and reassemble it in about 15 seconds.

Negatives I have run into is the pin on the inside of the safety can break. Not as corrosion resistant as say the newer chromite types or stainless.

doofus47
October 25, 2015, 09:43 PM
jj45 mapped out the other half of the equation.

I have a p99AS in 40 and 9 compact. So I have the DA/SA combo in more capacity and power. I have a single stack 9x19 in flavors XD-s and PPS that are lighter and with as much or more capacity.

20 years of techology progress aside, the Mak is a solid pistol I would recommend to anyone I liked.

donkee
October 28, 2015, 07:17 PM
I have 2 Bulgies. The first one I paid about $120 for. I used it when I started shooting IDPA. It has never had a single problem. I remember many a time at the 15 yard pistol bay shooting steel plates against others and beating most of them easily.

The 2nd came to me through a trade. The first couple magazines went through without a problem. After those it got to the point it wouldn't shoot at all. Turns out the previous owner thought he could improve the trigger by bending the main spring. I replaced it and now it is boringly reliable.

Buy one, you won't be disappointed. I used mine for my primary carry for a few years till I got the CZ-75BD and an FN Hi-Power. I still carry it every now and then and don't worry about it doing the job if needed.

gyvel
October 28, 2015, 07:40 PM

Nothing wrong with blowback.
Parts are plentiful and common, as are magazines.
8 rounds seems sufficient for normal carry.
Ammo is plentiful.
DA, so-so. Certainly no worse than some of the plastic monstrosities currently on the market.

Makarovs are virtually 100% reliable, 9x18 is an adequate self defense round, with a slightly higher sectional density than a .380, and, I don't know what you experience finding parts has been, but I seem to see them available all the time.

JohnKSa
October 28, 2015, 11:58 PM
...a slightly higher sectional density than a .380...Not that I think there's any practical difference, but I think the 9mmMak actually has a slightly lower sectional density than the .380 given that they both use similar bullet weights and the Mak's diameter is very slightly larger.

kozak6
October 29, 2015, 05:09 AM
Now that Bulgarian Makarov's are pushing $300-330, are they still as worthwhile?

It seems at that price range, options such as the Ruger LC9 or S&W Shield become available.

JimmyR
October 29, 2015, 05:39 AM
Now that Bulgarian Makarov's are pushing $300-330, are they still as worthwhile?

It seems at that price range, options such as the Ruger LC9 or S&W Shield become available.

First off, let's be careful to keep it apples to apples.

The LC9 and the Shield are polymer carry pistols, and incorporate either DAO/Striker fire triggers.

The Makarov is a SA/DA steel frame pistol.

If you are looking solely at a small CCW pistol, the Makarov is not the piece for you.

If, however, you prefer metal frame pistols or hammer fired pistols in a small, concealable size, then the Makarov is a good option for you.

Ibmikey
October 29, 2015, 05:43 AM
Kozak, I look at the Combloc pistols as yet another excuse to collect firearms with significent military/police history not as a CC pistol, therefore the cost is quite acceptable. To compare a Makarov with modern concealable pistols is ok if the Mak were being solely considered as a viable concealed carry pistol, in my (and many others) case carrying the pistol is on the bottom of my "reasons to want" list. I purchased Maks and their related 9x18 cousins to shoot and use as conversation pieces as well as to compare with Western counterparts. With this in mind it is worth the $300 bucks as I have no reason to even purchase a civilian concealed carry pistol as those needs have previously been met.
I suppose there are some who have purchased the pistol to fit their carry needs (even if considering the weight and size) and to them your post is more applicable and worthy of their consideration.

carguychris
October 29, 2015, 10:24 AM
If you are looking solely at a small CCW pistol, the Makarov is not the piece for you.

If, however, you prefer metal frame pistols or hammer fired pistols in a small, concealable size, then the Makarov is a good option for you.
+1. IMHO the Mak is best compared to a Bersa Thunder/383, Walther PP, Astra Constable, SIG P230/232, or Beretta 85 rather than the new generation of polymer-frame 9mm subcompacts. Some shooters will inevitably accuse these types of having a poor power-to-size and power-to-weight trade-off compared to an LC9 or Shield, but there are obviously plenty of folks who think these pistols are still good CCW choices.

Compared to most of the pistols I mentioned, with the possible exception of the Astra or Bersa, the Mak is arguably a better value. It's also simpler mechanically than they are, not to mention simpler mechanically than virtually any other DA/SA metal-frame pistol ever. :)

Northslope Nimrod
October 29, 2015, 08:20 PM
I owned one for a few years. Here's my take. I love having firearms with "history" and this one has history. It was solid, built like a tank and will eat anything you feed it. Mine was extremely reliable. They are slim and carry nicely in an IWB holster. Here are some negatives: They are heavy for their size. The sights are very small. The triggers are a bit heavy. They are snappy in recoil for their weight. - I like them but its the coolness factor that tips the scales. As far as strictly utilitarian, there are better carry guns, especially now that we have several single stack 9mm's in small packages. I do miss mine, but ultimately there were other guns I wanted more. I feel the same about selling my M1 Garand....although the Makarov was more useful to me than the Garand.
If you have extra $$, get one, but if the gun is primarily for use, not for nostalgia, look elsewhere. Edited to add: The main reason I sold mine was because I couldn't shoot it that accurately. Every time I shot it I was under impressed with how few bullets I had on target. Others shoot them better, I'm sure.

JJ45
October 30, 2015, 01:01 PM
Good for historical relevance but also excellent carry pistol, IMO...there is something about carrying a relic that was also worn by the STASSI and KGB...after all, how many things East German do you know of, let alone a combat pistol?....there is not gonna be any more East German anything.

Some carry a lot bigger pistol like the 1911, I don't find the 1911 objectionable in the right holster,....I sometimes do carry a Mak concealed and often forget I am carrying it....but this can happen with just about any pistol...

I do have IWBs for the Mak but my favorite holster is a Don Hume H726 M59 pancake which is a thumb break that leaves the top strap exposed.

I don't feel under gunned but if any of us knew absolutely that when you walked out of the house you would be in a gun fight, what would you carry? For me, it wouldn't be a Makarov

Ibmikey
November 1, 2015, 04:10 AM
JJ45, If i knew I would be in a gunfight as soon as I walked out of the house I personally would stay home with an AR and lots of mags on my lap. Oh yea don't forget to call 911. And clean the house before guests arrive.....seriously I agree my CC is going to be different than a Mak, but maybe not as good a firepower as what the Makarov will produce. Being old I gave up aggressive response to a threat for the idea that my CCW will aid in defensive withdrawl and let the young LE folks take the initative (as I did so many years ago when a uniformed police officer).

JJ45
November 1, 2015, 04:29 AM
IBMikey, I agree no doubt, avoidance at all costs. Distance being your best defense. The concealed handgun there as a last ditch defense....

but don't forget, there are some vicious predators out there that would not hesitate to harm you and yours if given half a chance God forbid, but it is possible and it's nice to know you have access to a deterrent...

Ibmikey
November 1, 2015, 10:37 AM
You bet there are unpleasant persons out there that is why i am seldom without my Kimber Micro, Sig P238 or G42 for my every day carry piece. I like all three of these for ease of carry and other reasons although I have dozens of other pistols that can fill the need....... like the Mak.

Ignition Override
November 3, 2015, 07:45 PM
kozak6:
Let's keep in mind that many, maybe most of the commercial Russian Makarovs were chambered in .380 Auto.
As five of my six "eastern handguns" are in 9x18, any future ban or high tariff on Russian 9x18 ammo will have no effect on my Russian Mak using .380 Auto.

At Makarov.com, guys are now describing their Bulgy Maks' arrivals, which are basically unissued, in cosmoline.

JJ45: You mentioned "East German" things. Just a coincidence that a buddy I see now and then escaped the DDR about four years before the wall came down.
He found an EG Mak. at a gun show in superb condition and was on it like a Katze auf eine Maus.

As for caliber, somehow knowing that a mugger is quietly running towards you --very quickly-- from your 6 o'clock might be much more important, because a sudden gun in your face gives you No time to Reach for that big .45. This happened to a club member. Wallet gone, no sweat.