PDA

View Full Version : Sig 320 small frame/grip

marine6680
July 23, 2015, 11:47 PM
Anyone here picked up a small grip module for their 320?

It would be more helpful to hear about the full size or compact as I have a FS, and the sub compact is too different to make a comparison with I think.

I would like to see some pictures, and some impressions of its size vs the medium grip. Seeing as there is no way to try before I buy that I know about, opinions from others may help.

JohnKSa
July 23, 2015, 11:53 PM
Seeing as there is no way to try before I buy that I know about...None that I know about either.

SIG is dropping the ball here. They should have made up a bunch of fixtures that have all the frame sizes for potential customers to handle/try/test and sent one to every gun shop they could think of.

Shadi Khalil
July 24, 2015, 12:33 AM
SIG is dropping the ball here. They should have made up a bunch of fixtures that have all the frame sizes for potential customers to handle/try/test and sent one to every gun shop they could think of.

You're right John. It's a simple, cheap and effective marketing method. One good example of that strategy is Crimson Trace. I don't think I've ever been to a gun store that didn't have a CT blue gun display with functioning lasers and those things sell like crazy.

geetarman
July 24, 2015, 01:31 AM
I handled a subcompact one and it was just terrible. I ended up with the compact frame and it works fine.

marine6680
July 24, 2015, 08:36 AM
Smith and Wesson has fixtures set up for the M&P with blue guns molded with the different size back straps. I have seen them in a few shops.

Sig definitely should do this.

Uncle Malice
July 24, 2015, 08:44 AM
I actually ordered the smalls for both the compact and full size yesterday. I will post once they come in and let you know.

I actually ordered them because I handled a 320 subcompact last weekend which had the small grip on it and I really liked it. I've heard the subcompact small is smaller than the compact and full size small grips, but we'll see.

marine6680
July 24, 2015, 09:57 AM
Thanks, that would be helpful.

wild cat mccane
July 24, 2015, 10:07 AM
What's really interesting is you have to spend an extra $50 per size to do what every modular backstrapped gun now comes with...which is now every gun.

Uncle Malice
July 24, 2015, 10:39 AM
What's really interesting is you have to spend an extra $50 per size to do what every modular backstrapped gun now comes with...which is now every gun.

It's most definitely NOT every gun... and I actually like the way the 320 did it. The grip is very, very good as it comes. The medium grip fits the vast majority of people just fine. I didn't *need* to order the small grips... I just like to play with things so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Many of the guns that offer replaceable backstraps annoy me. Even the P30/VP9 which are arguably the cream of the crop in those designs... they can be slightly 'clicky'. Some others might have edges that stick out a little more than the other side. The M&P is just about perfectly executed, however I still notice a little bit of lip right at the top of the back strap on the very back... which can annoy the web of my hand. I actually sanded the lip to be more level on my medium backstrap, which is what I keep on it.

The 320 is a solid grip and it's very ergonomic right out of the box. The only thing I would like to see changed would be a slim line take down lever and perhaps a slightly tweaked slide stop... Overall, I'm really, really a huge fan of the 320. It's solidly built. It has a very smooth action, excellent trigger, and superb accuracy. It comes with good sights, and since it can use the normal P226 sights... there is an enormous aftermarket of sights already available.

I actually tried NOT to like it when it came out. But the dang thing just does so many things right... it's hard not to love it.

wild cat mccane
July 24, 2015, 12:38 PM
Well, yeah not every. Just the flagship polymer models from Walther (first maker of backstraps), Glock, H&K, Ruger, Canik, S&W, Beretta, CZ, FN...All come with at least 2 grip changes-no charge.

I personally haven't felt a backstrap that I could fill the void or lines of...

The ONLY major manufacture I can think without a backstrapped handgun is Kel Tec and Sig Sauer. At $50, that's nuts.

Uncle Malice
July 24, 2015, 01:15 PM
At $50, that's nuts.

Get your Glock custom stippled, then decide you don't like it. See how much a new grip frame costs you.

Get your M&P custom duracoated, then decide you don't like it. See how much a new grip frame costs you.

The inexpensive and relatively disposable nature of the grips on the 320 are a wonderful thing in my opinion. I can run the hard through classes, training, practice. Stipple it if I want. Spray paint it. Do whatever.... Beat the snot out of it for several years.... if I decide I want to sell it down the road... I can get a new frame for $43.... and the gun looks like brand new again. I'll take that deal any day of the week.

marine6680
July 24, 2015, 03:21 PM
Having the whole frame be replaceable means that every size can be top to bottom front to back designed with that size in mind... Meaning the end result will be more comfortable and more ergonomic.

Other options tend to be limited in how they change the feel of the pistol.

Some, like glock, only alter the feel and shape of the back strap, which also changes trigger reach.

Others like the M&P also alter the feel of the sides of the pistol as well, so that is a step up I think.

Then the VP9 allows to mix and match side panels as well, so I feel that is the best changeable back strap design out right now.

The ease of repairing damage on the Sig is a bonus, and where the modularity pays off for institutions that adopt it as a sidearm. It's less a benefit to the individual though, but there is still benefit there.

Cyanide971
July 24, 2015, 07:07 PM
Anyone here picked up a small grip module for their 320?

It would be more helpful to hear about the full size or compact as I have a FS, and the sub compact is too different to make a comparison with I think.

I would like to see some pictures, and some impressions of its size vs the medium grip. Seeing as there is no way to try before I buy that I know about, opinions from others may help.

Hopefully this'll help some. Here's my P250C with the small grip/frame and my Gen 4 Glock 19:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/24/6e75228cc0b8a519ed31656d490053a2.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/24/fa935a2ac0a8d93a84e58d4cfc6f96ac.jpg

My stock P250/P320 compact medium grip/frame:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/24/60090e6e695ec3cde0d6ab3da92c365e.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/24/aa2a233708445bdff379e47e4620eb56.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/25/7524bde59a6965bbe99120c60356bcea.jpg

All three in hand:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/24/e1d730625d2d5ed0212ae3608f5c34ad.jpg

To me the small frame makes a world of difference, and makes the grip similar in size and comfort to my CZ 100 and SR9C (concerning width, front-to-back length, diameter).

Semper Fi!

JohnKSa
July 24, 2015, 11:09 PM
What's really interesting is you have to spend an extra $50 per size to do what every modular backstrapped gun now comes with...Which would likely be acceptable IF people were sure of what they were getting for their $50. The problem is that as things stand now, you have to buy before you try...

BILLG
July 25, 2015, 06:23 AM
Most of you blow $50 in a week anyway.And the guys bitching aren't going to buy a 320 anyway.And most have never shot one to know what they are talking about.Just touching one at as gun shop does not count.

wild cat mccane
July 25, 2015, 09:04 AM
I realize I was being a bit more argumentative than intended.

I purchase a hand gun about twice a month. I am sure I will grudgingly purchase a P320. A TP9SA beat the P320 this month after handing both. I just don't feel the grip is that nice with the P320. It feels cheap.

I did forget Sig does have a module backstrapped gun...the 2022. Because of this, I will likely pick up the 2022 first. I wish topgunsupply would bring back the $399 deal they had for over a year. Now the 2022 is priced at $530???

Cyanide971
July 25, 2015, 09:37 AM
If interested, here's the dimensions of each individual module per Sig:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/25/d865a40ca221125471ab3f90005f4251.jpg

As I said earlier, it is a much noticeable difference switching between the medium and small frames, especially for small-handed individuals like myself.

Uncle Malice
July 25, 2015, 09:44 AM
Now the 2022 is priced at $530???

Impact has them for $433 :) Still not the $399... but I'm sure that'll be around again before long. PSA has them at that price frequently, too.

wild cat mccane
July 25, 2015, 12:39 PM
Here's hoping. Last year the 'sales' were 330-350.

I feel like the 2022 took an unusually high jump about two weeks ago from most listings. Wonder what that's about?

Speaking of which, the p320 has a weird pricing model of 400 for the full slide compact frame and then 460 for others.

marine6680
July 25, 2015, 05:50 PM
Looks like I will need to pick up a small sized frame.

Cyanide971
July 25, 2015, 07:50 PM
If you happen to find them in stock, please let me know because I need to get another one myself for when I pick up my P320. That way I can have one for both the P250 and it lol.

Uncle Malice
July 25, 2015, 08:01 PM
They're available from Sig directly or from Top Gun Supply.

Gazpacho
July 27, 2015, 09:33 PM
Interchangable backstraps and side grips are nice, but they don't change the most inportant dimension, the circumfrence at the top of the grip where the web of the hand (between the thumb and forefinger) meets the gun. This dimension direclty determines the trigger reach.

The Sig Grip Modules vary this dimension.

I have never been comfortable with any service caliber double stack handgun. The worst example for me was the Glock 26. I can't my small hand around the grip to adequately control the handgun. The best I had found was the XD-9 Tactical 9mm. The P320 Compact, with the Medium grip module was a bit of an improvement for me, but the firearm transformed when I got the Compact Small grip.

Even Though I don't need it, I also bought the Compact large grip module. At the range I can swap out grip frames in under 30 seconds, for shooters with different hand sizes.

Also, the exchangeable grip modules make cleaning the gun super easy. Simply field steip and pull the Fire Control Group, spray it down with cleaner and brush clean.

TunnelRat
July 27, 2015, 09:43 PM
Interchangable backstraps and side grips are nice, but they don't change the most inportant dimension, the circumfrence at the top of the grip where the web of the hand (between the thumb and forefinger) meets the gun. This dimension direclty determines the trigger reach.

Actually on the M&P and to an extent the Gen 4 Glock they actually do achieve this.

wild cat mccane
July 29, 2015, 11:44 PM
Most do come with a beaver tailed large grip that does increase the reach and circumference at the top.

Jaywalker
August 1, 2015, 08:56 PM
Curious about holsters for the 320... Would you need a different holster for different size grip frame modules? Another way of asking is if holster-makers need to use different forms for different model.

JohnKSa
August 1, 2015, 09:38 PM
As I understand it, for each "Frame" size, there are grip frames available with small, medium and large grips. So you could have a Full-Full, Full-Medium or Full-Small.

I would think that the frame size would be what is important in holster fit. I believe that if you have two guns with the same size "frame" but with different "grip" sizes that they would still fit in the same holster.

I doubt that different frame sizes would fit into the same holster unless it was a holster made so that the length of the dustcover didn't matter. A belt-slide or something similar probably would work regardless of the dustcover length.

Uncle Malice
August 1, 2015, 10:02 PM
John is correct. The small, medium, and large size frames for each size to not effect holster compatibility. Similarly, a compact or carry size will fit into a full size holster, just a little short (think g19 fitting in a g17 holster).

I'm not sure how that works with the small subcompact size as it has the different shaped trigger guard and no rail... It should fit, perhaps with a little wiggle room. The medium and large subcompact grips do have the normal rail and trigger guard, I believe. Seems strange, but I actually really like the idea and it's super comfy in the hand.

wild cat mccane
August 2, 2015, 03:04 PM
May I hijack a second? We have accumulated all the P320 experts and I can't imagine this question would be answered out side of this thread...

Can a subcompact grip and full size slide work together? I imagine there would be some spring showing at the bottom...but yes?

Uncle Malice
August 2, 2015, 04:56 PM
You are correct. It will work, but the dust cover on the full size slide won't cover all the way. It does cover on the compact, but there is a gap on the subcompact.

marine6680
August 2, 2015, 07:45 PM
Have we got any confirmation on the new "carry" frame when used on the full size slide?

I seen a report that the "carry" frame will expose the recoil spring... but the compact does not, and they use the same size slide... So I'm not sure if I should get a "carry" frame or not.

Uncle Malice
August 2, 2015, 08:10 PM
Carry frame will not expose the spring on the full size slide.

Slimjim9
August 5, 2015, 06:43 AM
This thread isn't caliber specific, so this might be a slight detour, but I'd be interested in hearing some shooting experiences of the P320 45 with the various grip sizes - differences in felt recoil, accuracy, etc. There is still surprisingly little info out there on the P320 45.

marine6680
August 5, 2015, 06:51 AM
Still new, info should start trickling out soon.

45 is not as popular a caliber in the poly strikers as 9mm and 40. I see relatively few on shelves when shopping.