PDA

View Full Version : What's a decent portable shooting table?

tpcollins
July 18, 2015, 02:45 PM
I was at Cabelas today and I kinda like the Herters Shooting Bench for about $170 although the front yoke was a bit wobbly and would need some tune up work done on t. I didn't really care for the Caldwell as it seemed tippy as heck.

Just wondering if there was a decent portable shooting table that doesn't break the bank? Thanks.

Bake
July 18, 2015, 04:15 PM
I used a "Work Mate" by Black & Decker I believe. A couple bean/sand/shot bags, a 2x2, and my high power shooting stool. I was good to go...

Prof Young
July 19, 2015, 01:48 AM
The plans can be found at reality survival.com
I took about a day to make mine and you only need couple of hand tools.
See pic attached.

Well, the forum software isn't going to let me attach the picture as I've already posted it once and even changing the file name doesn't do it. So look for a post called "shooting table." I think it is in the general discussion forum or maybe accessories.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Hunter Customs
July 19, 2015, 09:02 AM
I too have been considering a portable shooting table, I like the ideal of being able to set it up in different locations.

I have a more permanent type shooting table on my 100 yard range, even though I could move it, it would be a pain to do so, it's heavy.

I have places where I could do some shooting out to 600 yards but I need a portable table to do it from.

I thought about the Caldwell, I'm not sure how stable it would be.

4EVERM-14
July 19, 2015, 03:07 PM
cabelas carries a bench called the "BIG GAME". I have used this on several prairie dog shoots . I found it comfortable,quiet and roomy. About $150. The Caldwell is also nice but more money.

mpmax
July 21, 2015, 06:56 PM
Older Honda CRV's come with one under the mat in back.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/wot/by-the-numbers-1997-2012-honda-cr-v-148319/59224012/2002-honda-cr-v-with-picnic-table.jpg

Doyle
July 21, 2015, 08:38 PM
Those B&D workmates are very sturdy but way too heavy for me to be toting around.

Colorado Redneck
July 21, 2015, 10:40 PM
Portable is subjective. I have a Caldwell Stable Table that works pretty dandy, but the shooting rest is not part of that outfit. But---this thing is not something you tote around under one arm, carrying a rifle and ammo in the other hand. It is easy to disassemble and load in the truck, then reassemble when you get to your destination. As far as it being tippy, yes it can be. If you sit close to the shooting platform it usually is pretty solid. Shot many hundreds of prairie dogs off mine.

If you want to pack a shooting table around on foot, the Caldwell isn't for you, unless you are a pretty salty hand.