PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having problems with Glock trigger mechanism

Tonyadrik
May 17, 2000, 05:15 AM
Good day to You all,

I've a problem that I can't get over - its the long trigger pull for the first shot on my Glock (goes with every Glock). I tend to put the first shot (and all these shots I take after I take my finger off the trigger to reload or while moving) 3-4 " left of what I aim.
I know it's probably that my trigger finger isn't deep enough on the trigger when starting to pull trigger back, but what could cure this disease ? Can't grow my trigger finger longer, so maybe there is someone out there who makes glock trigger pulls shorter? Or has some other tricks...?
Thanks!

Stay Safe!

------------------

Gino
May 17, 2000, 08:21 AM
I have the same problem. I've done a LOT of dry fire practice to help cure it. Still I have intermitent problems with it! That's one of the reasons I consider Glocks to be an advanced gun (but others disagree).

I also find that I shoot Glocks better if I use a two-handed grip with a *small* amount of isometric pressure. And I try to hold the gun with 60% pressure from my support hand.

Without using two hands, I'm going to have these problems at least 10% of the time. It's been pretty frustrating. I can understand why some self defense experts advise to shoot ONLY Glocks to get used to the trigger.

HTH,
Gino

Dave T
May 17, 2000, 08:41 AM
Tony,

I've been through the Glock Armorer's School and I don't know of anyone who offers a shorter trigger than the factory. You can mess with connectors and springs and vary the feel/brake of the trigger but that is about it.

If you were my student (I'm an instructor) I would tell you your problem is trigger control. plain and simple. The Glock trigger is not the best in the firearms world, despite Glock's claim of "perfection". One cop I know who carries a Glock describes it's trigger as being like breaking a wet popsickle stick. That's a pretty apt description. You just have to get used to the damn thing and that takes practice - lots of practice.

After 26 years of using 1911s with their short, crisp triggers, I had a hell of a time making the transition to Glocks. I'm still not completely satisfied and I've been shooting the plastic guns exclusively for almost a year now.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave T
PCSD Ret.

Coinneach
May 17, 2000, 11:12 AM
Long trigger? On a Glock? :confused:

You might try swapping out the connector for the 3.5#. I did that on a G20 and a G26 and saw my scores increase immediately.

nwgunman
May 17, 2000, 12:42 PM
Am I missing something here? A "long trigger pull for the first shot on my Glock..."??? Every trigger pull is (or should!) be the same. As for long, it is about 1/2 of an inch of travel before let off. Compared to a typical DA auto like a S&W 4506 (which runs about 15/16 of an inch before the hammer drops for that "first shot"), this ain't much. Do a couple of thousand reps and I'll bet you get the hang of it. Stay safe.

Russell92
May 17, 2000, 02:34 PM
i can't image haveing a problem like that with my glock. i do that sort of thing with my berettas but i just love my glock trigger.

my glock is reliviely new so i'm not that good with it yet. I should but don't do the thing were you just let the trigger go forward enough to hear the click. that means all my shots are almost as long as the first one.

if you have the center of the pad on your trigger finger on the trigger and pull strait back you might correct it. dry fire a lot at home and practice. some other people i was talking to have the same problem. they are jerking the trigger though and you may be doing that to try to pull it too fast.

9x45
May 17, 2000, 02:40 PM
You need to practice the 'short reset' with controlled shots. There is no need to take your finger completely off(except for movement), or even let the trigger travel completely forward. With practice, there is a distinctive 'set' and the Glock acts like a normal trigger. This is characterized by an audible click. I shoot 1911's and Glocks, to me the 1911 seems very short and is more difficult to 'prep the trigger' than a Glock.

CCV
May 17, 2000, 07:37 PM
The Glock trigger is not its strong point but can be learned with practice. Dry firing (a lot of dry firing) helps but a 1911 trigger it ain't.

With that said I do like my Glocks.