PDA

View Full Version : SIG P220 SAO 10mm First Impressions

saleen322
June 28, 2015, 05:03 AM
I have been waiting for the P220 w/adjustable sights to come out and I finally got one. First off, the pistol feels and looks like quality. While the trigger felt light, checking it with weights surprised me--it picked up 5 lbs 5X in a row without the sear releasing. It picked up 5.25 3 times and the hammer dropped 2 times and at 5.5 lbs, the hammer dropped every time. The pistol empty with a magazine weighs 44.3 oz. The sights are just outstanding in both construction and function. I fired a couple of shots and made some adjustments to get it solidly on the paper @ 25 yards. I then fired 10 shots for a group with some hand cast 208 grain SWC that I had loaded and sitting around. It did not disappoint...
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/saleen322/Center%20Fire%20Pistol/Sig/Sig%2010mm-1_zpsmopspdes.jpg

Here is a picture of the case support on the barrel. I have not seen anything better with a factory (or even aftermarket for that matter) barrel. Sig did their homework.
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/saleen322/Center%20Fire%20Pistol/Sig/Case%20Support%20RBA_zpscx6np5ly.jpg

The 10mm magazines do not have a bevel on them so they can easily pass over the magazine latch going in. I also have a Sig 45 Match-Elite in 45 ACP. The 45 magazines are dimensionally the same, including the lip opening, as the 10mm but have the bevel so you can use the 45 mags if you have trouble putting them in. Replacement magazines are not listed on the Sig site so this may be corrected in the upcoming production. Sig also has some deal going on with some of their guns where if you purchase from 6/15 until I think the end of July, you get up to $200 free gear from their catalog. Sent the coupon in today.

Slimjim9
June 28, 2015, 07:29 AM
Sounds good! I find it interesting that Sig calls this SAO when it is the same trigger weight as a Glock. Was looking at the P238 specs and that is supposed to be 7.5lbs and it is still called SAO. Are the pulls a lot shorter than Glocks?

saleen322
June 28, 2015, 08:00 AM
Are the pulls a lot shorter than Glocks?
I don't think it is any shorter but it is a two-stage design. There is about a 27 oz first stage that has almost all of the travel in it. Then it takes about 3.5 lbs from there to make the sear release with no more movement than a good rifle trigger. That is what gives the perception of the trigger being a lot lighter than it is and makes it much easier to shoot accurately.

HighValleyRanch
June 28, 2015, 08:42 AM
Looks really nice.
Doesn't look like it is on the California approved handgun list yet, maybe too new and will be?
It's single stack 8 rounds?
So it's much heavier than the glock 20 because of its all steel construction, but how much narrower is it than the glock?
What's the width of the grip frame with the grip panels on it?
What's the width of the slide.
Couldn't find these specs listed.

saleen322
June 28, 2015, 10:13 AM
It's single stack 8 rounds?
So it's much heavier than the glock 20 because of its all steel construction, but how much narrower is it than the glock?
What's the width of the grip frame with the grip panels on it?
What's the width of the slide.
Yes
It is about 1.25" wide but circumference is more telling. It is about 5.5" around compared to an original Glock 17 @ 6" meaning with the smaller grip and better trigger, it takes approx. 1/2" less finger to get centered on the trigger.
Just over 1"

ammo.crafter
June 28, 2015, 10:16 AM
Great post and info. Thank you.

Dave P
June 28, 2015, 10:34 AM
Nice looking peashooter!