PDA

View Full Version : Bolt stick Remington 700

Son_of_Bombadil
April 26, 2015, 10:39 PM
I have a Remington 700 ADL wood stock from the eighties. I bought it slightly used from a gun show not too long ago. I've cleaned it lubed and greased it thoroughly but I still have a problem with the bolt sticking. Bolt cycles fine except for when I try to open it from a closed position. it just requires a lot of force to open and just doesn't seem to want to budge sometimes. Please help thank you!

Bake
April 26, 2015, 11:01 PM
Can I assume this happens after firing a shot, or does this happen with an empty chamber?

Mobuck
April 27, 2015, 05:12 AM
The older ones have a bolt lock when the safety is engaged.

eastbank
April 27, 2015, 05:52 AM
check the front stock screw is may be binding the bolt locking lug. eastbank.

Snyper
April 27, 2015, 06:00 AM
Also check to make sure any scope base screws aren't protruding into the action

Otherwise it probably just needs more use to smooth up

Erno86
April 27, 2015, 11:03 AM
It might need some chamber bore brush work. Buy a chamber bore brush rod along with a steel chamber bore brush specific for that caliber. Spray the brush with some degreaser or gun solvent and rotate clockwise 12 times.

hoghunting
April 27, 2015, 02:28 PM
Are you shooting factory ammo or reloads?

jrothWA
April 27, 2015, 08:26 PM
call Remington and give the SN.

Should give you a kit or authorization for asmith to perform the work required.

This was part of the "CBS" news hype from a couple of years ago.

Son_of_Bombadil
April 27, 2015, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys. I looked at the reciever real carefully and I don't think there is any screws interfering the lugs. I checked the safety and its the same whether the safety is on or not. I shot factory ammo. Hornady, so I know it's not that. I'm going to check into calling Remington and see if it's part of that 80s recall. Thanks for all the ideas.

Tinbucket
April 27, 2015, 11:10 PM
As mentioned by others two things. The screws that hold the action and base plate on can bind up the bolt.
Since your's is doing it with action cocked or bolt closed, you probably have the safety on.
If not that then clean the bolt especially the caming area, of the cocking piece.
I've seen the metal scrubbed away by just working the action many times.
Parts are easily replaced if it is.
There is the possibility the lugs and locking area in the barrel have some grit on them.

Tinbucket
April 27, 2015, 11:15 PM
As mentioned by others two things. The screws that hold the action and base plate on can bind up the bolt. If this is the case the trigger may go off by just closing the bolt too.
Since your's is doing it with action cocked or bolt closed, you probably have the safety on.
There is the possibility the lugs and locking area in the barrel have some grit on them.....or your ammo is reloaded and neck sized only, from another gun, and the shoulder on the cases too far forward or shoulder shoved back and swelled behind neck.

Picher
April 28, 2015, 08:39 AM
Did you remove the firing pin from the action? If not, you may want to take it out and clean/lube. Check for rust, both inside the bolt or on the mainspring.

Also, check for grit or debris in the firing pin raceway within the bolt.

jmr40
April 28, 2015, 06:59 PM
call Remington and give the SN.

Should give you a kit or authorization for asmith to perform the work required.

This was part of the "CBS" news hype from a couple of years ago.

The CNBC story dealt with defective triggers on all Remington bolt guns made 1946-2006. There is no official recall for this, yet. But one is in the works. They did recall all 2006-2012 rifles for defective triggers for a different reasons.

I know of no other problems or recalls with 1980's era guns. They as a rule tend to be some of the better years. Rifles made before 1982 would lock the bolt down when on safe and had to be moved to the "Fire" position to unload the chamber. Remington changed the safety in 1982 as a measure to prevent AD's instead of changing the trigger design.

Does it do the same even when cycling the action when unloaded?

4V50 Gary
April 28, 2015, 08:17 PM
More details please.

Is it sticking when it's closed on empty?
Is it sticking when it's closed on an unfired case?
Is it sticking when it's closed on a case that has just been fired?

IDAHO GAITERS
April 29, 2015, 01:08 AM
If it's doing it on an empty chamber, try pushing forward on the bolt as you are trying to lift it. Does that help ? If it does, you might have the headspace checked.

Idaho Gaiters