PDA

View Full Version : 9mm carry

Micro man
April 25, 2015, 01:59 PM
Looking into purchasing a 9mm semi-for concealed carry(probably IWB) I currently own a Beretta 92 and a Ruger SR9c. After shooting the striker equipped Ruger I have come to the conclusion I would prefer a DA/SA for carrying.
Price,reliability, and conceal ability are all important to me. I would appreciate input from the many knowledgeable members of the forum to point me in the right direction.
Thanks

DaleA
April 25, 2015, 02:18 PM
If you're a real Ruger fan maybe one of the older 'P' series DA/SA Rugers would fill the bill for you. They aren't much more concealable than your Beretta though.

TunnelRat
April 25, 2015, 02:30 PM
So we know the caliber you want and the action type, is there a size you prefer for carry?

mark.sweetser.75
April 25, 2015, 03:12 PM
Glock 19 iwb done deal

Slimjim9
April 25, 2015, 03:20 PM
G19? C'mon man read the OPs post. That's the exact opposite of what he wants. Probably should be looking at Sigs for DA/SA. I rented a 2022 but it wasn't for me. I picked a G19.

Cheapshooter
April 25, 2015, 03:37 PM
I have come to the conclusion I would prefer a DA/SA for carrying.
Glock 19 iwb done deal

WOW!!! Glock now has a hammer fired DA/SA 19. Who would have ever believed?

Sig, or possibly CZ 2075 RAMI.
I was seriously considering the RAMI several years ago for CCW, but chose the simplicity of the XD40 Sub Compact from Springfield instead.

gbclarkson
April 25, 2015, 03:50 PM
Sig P239. Pricey, but accurate, reliable and compact for CC.

dirtd0g
April 25, 2015, 04:03 PM
Taurus makes the 905B2 revolver in 9mm.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=329&category=Pistol

I don't have much experience with it myself, but it was a hoot to shoot. If you want simple reliability and SA/DA action, can't get much better than a revolver. It can always be at the ready without any springs to worry about.

TK Custom will also modify cylinders to chamber 9mm... Among other things.

http://www.tkcustom.com/content/machine.asp

And, while I know you stated SA/DA, I have also recently went through this internal debate regarding a CCW. I like revolvers and SA/DA pieces, but a sub-compact, magazine-fed, striker-fired semi can get so slim and comfortable to wear that it's hard not to even consider it.

If you do feel like departing from you decision, check out the Kahr CM9 or PM9. I can wear those things under a slim-cut button-up in the summer and have no imprinting whatsoever whether IWB or shoulder.

https://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp

Micro man
April 25, 2015, 04:30 PM
As far as barrel length I was thinking not more than 3.5 inches. Single stack is ok as well and hopefully I could pick one up for less than $500 out the door. I'm not very familiar with CZ as far as price and reliability go, nor Springfield.

TunnelRat
April 25, 2015, 04:32 PM
I meant more the overall size of the pistol rather than the barrel length. What pistols have you carried before and did you have any complaints size wise? I'm just trying to see if you can give us any more info to narrow the field.

Pilot
April 25, 2015, 04:35 PM
I have been carrying a CZ-75D PCR for 15 years for a reason. It is a great all around 9MM, and lighter, and more compact than the full size 75B pistol.

rt11002003
April 25, 2015, 04:55 PM
The H&K USP 9mm Tactical is very close in size to SIG p239, smaller in some measurements. I have the Tactical and ordered the SIG in SAS Gen2 format. Both work well for me because I carry most of the time in a small dispatch case.

My favorite all around carry is the Kimber SOLO 9mm, tiny, accurate, with minimum recoil. But, it doesn't fit the OP's specs. ;)

Whirlwind06
April 25, 2015, 04:59 PM
I picked a Beretta. Px4 sub compact. It's a nice size gun for IWB with 13 round mags. I would say the px4 compact or full size would be fine too. I have the full size as well and it's a sweet shooter.

skizzums
April 25, 2015, 05:23 PM
Taurus pt111 Gen2. has been a real life changer after carrying revolvers and cz for the last year. disappears even with a tucked in shirt. I have a shield .40 as well, they are almost dimensionally identical, but the Taurus holds 5 more rounds and is more comfortable to shoot at longer ranges. people will knock Taurus all day(sometimes with reason), but ths gun is a real winner for them. I have around 700-800 down the pipe no, no issues. reliable, shoots fast and on target, fully adjustable sights, external safety and "glock" type trigger safety, loaded chamber indicator, slide lock and an interesting sa/da striker system(heavy pull, but extremely short tavel, allows for second-strike). I am very impressed with this gun and I got for 200$ brand new on clearance from PSA. I know you said sa/da, this is kind of in the middle, the sa/da striker isn't quite as nice as a cz, but it's way better than a DAO or a glock trigger, the only truly sa/da gun that are small enough for comfortable carry come with a price. I think the cz rami cannot be beat in this department, and the sig p224 has is an awesome sa/da hammer style. the Taurus is in the middle between an awesome sa/da and a glock for tons less $$ I don't think you will find it for 200$ anymore, but I see prices like 230$ floating around. truly worth double. has the shield beat in grip, capacity and accuracy.........the only con to the gun is they put a very steep, but nicely polished, feedramp in it to make up for the small size and hi capacity, so it doesn't like flat nosed bullets, likes round or pointy.as a caster and reloader that likes to play with strange bullet profiles I can be annoying, but I don't think there are any factory bullets it won't eat.i have five pistols I could choose to carry everyday, but I don't carry anything but this one anymore. it's just the perfect size to capacity out there.JUST MY OPINION!!!
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/nwalker73/Handguns/IMAG0290_zpsmewxszeg.jpg (http://s998.photobucket.com/user/nwalker73/media/Handguns/IMAG0290_zpsmewxszeg.jpg.html)

just a sample of it's bullet likes and dislikes, please note that the only bullets it doesn't like aren't even made for 9mm anyways but they do shoot in my other nines. the black is a .38 bullet sized down to 9mm and the other is a .380 bullet. but does 100% flawless with actual 9mm ammo, even the steel-cased Russians, which is a big seller for some. and it even cycles shotshell, surprising since it has a double recoil spring.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/nwalker73/Bullets/IMAG0293_zps5a3qbgq6.jpg (http://s998.photobucket.com/user/nwalker73/media/Bullets/IMAG0293_zps5a3qbgq6.jpg.html)

good luck on your hunt. before I buy a gun, I like to look at large samples of user reviews, Taurus gets flamed in a lot of them, some people just hate the brand and some people actually have significant gripes. but heres buds, only 1 bad review out of 76 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/85/products_id/85314
impacts reviews. http://www.impactguns.com/taurus-pt111-millenium-pro-g2-black-12-rnd-mag-1-111031g2-12-725327610915.aspx

and you can find hundreds of others if you are uncomfortable with Taurus. my experience with the four Taurus rifles/pistol I own is they are all great reliable guns. lots of folks on here jumped on the 200$ PSA deal a coupe moths ago and have all had good things to say.

sorry for the long post, but this gun deserves praise for it's price. it may not be what your looking for at all, but be careful thinking you can comfortably cary around a cz all day. I guess it depends on your lifestyle, but with my job, going from a cz compact to this has been like heaven, I didn't know what I was missing. in the winter, I also love a revolver in the jacket pocket, but I needed something comfy for year round and work use and this fits the bill perfectly, being amazingly priced was just a bonus. I would have bought it even if it was closer to 400$

sigarms228
April 25, 2015, 06:23 PM
When I carry hammer fired I carry my HK P30LS or SIG SP2022. My main CCW is a Walther PPQ but that is striker fired.

To me the HK P30LS is pricey but worth it although it may be a bit big for many.

The SIG SP2022 is worth looking at and well within in your price range and has a great reputation for reliability/durability/accuracy/trigger.

I don't have much experience with them but many love the Beretta poly line of pistols and they are also in your price range.

A bit outside your price range is the HK P2000 and P2000SK though they have come down $200 from what they used to be. Great and supremely reliable pistols for around $650.

NOTE: If you don't require a hammer fired DA/SA pistol the Walther P99 AS is freaking awesome! Usually they can be had for low $500s. I would buy one in a heartbeat for CCW but Raven Concealment does not make a Phantom holster for it and that is my preferred holster and what I use for my PPQ.

Good luck and try out as many as you can if possible.

ritepath
April 25, 2015, 06:29 PM
Hammer fired CC...that's a tough one. CZ RAMI or PCR, are my first thoughts. Maybe some sig but the 229 in rather large that's why it's gone now.

A P220 compact makes a great carry gun also.

vent51177
April 25, 2015, 06:30 PM
For what the OP is requesting I recommend the CZ PCR, CZ P-01, or the HK P30.

I carry the CZ PCR.

TunnelRat
April 25, 2015, 06:41 PM
A bit outside your price range is the HK P2000 and P2000SK though they have come down $200 from what they used to be. Great and supremely reliable pistols for around $650.

If you poke around on gunbuyer.com they can be head for closer to $600. They've really dropped in price.

Pinky Carruthers
April 25, 2015, 07:14 PM
Bersa Thunder 9 UC.

TBT
April 25, 2015, 07:23 PM
CZ P-07.

PakWaan
April 25, 2015, 08:28 PM
I was looking for the same thing. I found my perfect carry gun in the HK P2000SK. Subcompact DA/SA with decocker, A+ build quality, totally reliable. Comes in 9mm and .40. I got mine in .40 as it's the softest-shooting .40 I've ever shot.

A bonus is that HK dropped the price about $200 recently when they introduced the P30SK. Either of them would be a great choice.

BigMikey76
April 25, 2015, 08:41 PM
CZ P07. You get the hammer fired DA/SA you want in a package that is dimensionally all but identical to the G19, which many claim is the perfect size for CC. I have only had mine for a couple days, but I have already fallen in love with it.

campbed
April 25, 2015, 08:44 PM
Take a look at a SIG 239 or 229, you can pick up used ones for good prices.

I'd also take a look at CZ RAMI as well.

HK P2000SK is also popular, but I am invested in SIG's so I haven't tried one.

My carry is a 239 in 9mm.

You are investing in preserving your life, these are not cheap, but then you are worth it, right?

Independent George
April 25, 2015, 08:46 PM
How do you feel about DAO as opposed to DA/SA?

I, too, prefer DA/SA, but your choices are limited in the smallest carry guns. I own a CZ PCR and a RAMI, both of which are outstanding, but are also a little bulky for CC.

I finally settled on a Kahr PM9, which, while striker fired, is a real DAO trigger. For a while I was torn between the PM9 and the Sig 290RS (hammer-fired DAO), but in the end preferred the PM9's trigger. Which is a shame, because I preferred the Sig's overall design and ergonomics; if they could just put the 250's DAO trigger into the 290 frame, that might be my ideal carry gun.

kinoons
April 25, 2015, 09:05 PM
If you're willing to look past having a hammer but you want DA/SA you can go with a Walther P99AS.

StrutStopper
April 25, 2015, 09:53 PM
CZ75D PCR is worth looking into. Love mine.

DA/SA Fan
April 25, 2015, 09:53 PM
How about a nice thin single stack Zastava. 8+1 should be very concealable for most anybody.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1059/products_id/716007484/CIA+HG3208-N+Zastava+M88A+8%2B1+9mm+3.78%22

Oh. Did I mention it's around $200.00!

Sorry. It is a single action. But otherwise.....

skizzums
April 25, 2015, 10:36 PM
^^not bad in size, but clocking 2 pounds empty would nnot be a carry choice for me personally. not knocking your choice, just wouldn't work for me. OP, I recommend staying away from anything DA only, they are a totally different beast than a nice sa/da. I personally haven't found one that's even close to having a "nice" trigger except the p250 sig.

Brotherbadger
April 26, 2015, 01:58 AM
CZ P07. You get the hammer fired DA/SA you want in a package that is dimensionally all but identical to the G19, which many claim is the perfect size for CC.

My thought as well. The p07 is a heck of a gun. I'd also recommend the Sig P229. Another great option.

Micro man
April 26, 2015, 08:40 AM
It looks like I will be spending a lot of time at my LGS,but it's time will spent. The only prior carry experience I have is while hunting is with a S&W 586 In 6 inch OWB so this new gun will be a big change.
Skizzums I had not considered a Taurus until I read your reply but will certainly take a hard look at them!
This is the reason I enjoy FLF so much, members with real life experience taking the time to share it with others.

noonesshowmonkey
April 26, 2015, 09:28 AM
Short list of excellent 9mm DA/SAs in concealable form factors:

HK USP compact
HK P30
HK P2000 / P2000SK
Sig SP2022
Sig P229
Sig P239
Bersa Thunder Compact
Baretta PX-4 Compact
Stoeger Cougar
Cz P-07
FNX-9
Ruger P95

Handle as many as you can, rent & shoot the ones you like the feel of, and buy the one that fits your interests.

I am partial to the P229. A Certified Pre-Owned P229, which has gone back to the Sig factory for a complete refurbish and is largely indistinguishable from a new handgun but for the fact that it has been worn in to a sweet spot, can be had for ~$500.

WVMountaineer
April 26, 2015, 10:16 AM
If you want a DA/SA style gun to conceal, then numerous revolvers are a better fit than anything semi. Just my opinion.

They conceal better. That is fact.

God Bless

TunnelRat
April 26, 2015, 10:19 AM
If you want a DA/SA style gun to conceal, then numerous revolvers are a better fit than anything semi. Just my opinion.

They conceal better. That is fact.

God Bless
I'm not sure it's a fact. There are some pretty compact semis that have been mentioned.

skizzums
April 26, 2015, 12:58 PM
if you do check out the Taurus at your LGS, make sure you cock the gun first before feeling the trigger pull. if it's not cocked it will stay in double-action and has a really long pull. when your using the gun, it's always cocked, so you will likely never use the double action unless you are using second strike on an unfired round.

RAfiringline
April 26, 2015, 01:58 PM
Micro man,

Consider the CZ p01. Appx G19 size, DA/SA, highly reliable, half-way reasonable price.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-9mm-black-alloy-14-rd-mags/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/gl-kohler/gun-review-cz-75-p-01/

Snyper
April 26, 2015, 02:14 PM
The best way to choose a handgun is to handle as many as possible to see what feels good to you.

All the name brands will give you similar performance, so all these recommendations are just what others like, and may not fit you at all

BigMikey76
April 26, 2015, 04:58 PM
I had not considered a Taurus until I read your reply but will certainly take a hard look at them!

Definitely worth taking a look. I am carrying my PT111 G2 IWB right now, in fact. It's a great gun. Nearly as small as the little single stacks that are all the rage right now, but with just enough grip to get a good firm purchase, double stack capacity and a surprisingly nice trigger. All that at 1/2 the price - what's not to like?

johnt0148
April 26, 2015, 05:04 PM
Glock 19, end of conversation. you can carry a capgun, but if you want a game changer in your pocket, g19.

BigMikey76
April 26, 2015, 05:09 PM
^^^Really? In what way does a G19 meet the criteria the OP set forth?

DFM914
April 26, 2015, 05:49 PM
I would recommend an XDs in 9mm or a Walther PPS especially for an IWB carry.

power5
April 26, 2015, 08:47 PM
Cougar or px4 would be my choice. Both are much bigger than my lc9s carry. But I decided size was more important than action.

Shoot
April 26, 2015, 09:07 PM
There's a whole lot to like about the PX4 compact for a DA/SA carry gun.

skizzums
April 26, 2015, 09:36 PM
the px4 is a nice gun. it's an option worth investigating. my stepfather has one and it's a great shooter, even being a .40, but it's full size. I have not shot the sub compact though, looks nice
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42626

db4570
April 26, 2015, 11:33 PM
If you like the 92, the 3rd Gen S&Ws have the same controls: DA/SA, slide safety/decock, hammer. I bought a CS9 (based partly on recommendations here) to supplement my 92 for CC, and it's really nice. It has the exact same controls as my 92, which is what I wanted.

They have a loyal following and are known for reliability. People seem to really like the 3913 and CS series.

David

PS:

Glock 19 iwb done deal

Glock 19, end of conversation. you can carry a capgun, but if you want a game changer in your pocket, g19.

This is embarrassing. Even if I liked Glocks, I'd be embarrassed to own one, for fear of being associated with some of the fan-boys out there.

Slimjim9
April 27, 2015, 07:29 AM
This is embarrassing. Even if I liked Glocks, I'd be embarrassed to own one, for fear of being associated with some of the fan-boys out there.
I love my G19, but I hear ya. What's really bad are those who reply to a thread title without even bothering to read the OP. Sheesh, what's that about? :confused:

noonesshowmonkey
April 27, 2015, 05:27 PM
Sheesh, what's that about?

It's about the fact that the Glock 19 is lighter, slimmer, often more capacious, every bit (or more) reliable, has far greater aftermarket support, is every bit as (or more) accurate than... anything listed thus far in this thread.

The ONLY thing that the Glock 19 doesn't do is use a traditional DA/SA hammer fired action. If that is the only qualification, then have at it.

If you are seriously considering a 9mm carry handgun, and you aren't/haven't considered a Glock 19, then you should.

All the same, failing to answer the OP, or otherwise ignore their interests, is rude.

jr24
April 27, 2015, 08:37 PM
DA/SA carry size, reasonably priced and reliable. My suggestion would to be take a look at the CZ P-07. Or any of the all metal 75 compacts.

DA/SA Fan
April 27, 2015, 10:23 PM
Tristar's 9mm C-100 has an alloy frame and an under 4 inch barrel. It's a good size and weight if the double stack is acceptable. About $360.00 on Bud's right now.

Most times I carry a Witness 10mm in a shoulder rig but when I don't I carry my Tristar T-120 IWB. I'm thinking of going to the C-100 to take over the T-120's duty. The 120 isn't bad. It has an alloy frame also but the 100 should be a tad more comfortable when driving.

skizzums
April 28, 2015, 12:26 PM
I love my ti star, I have the t-100, the smallest one available and with an alloy frame.......the only way I can comfortably carry it is with an undershoulder which is inreasonable in the summer at work. these guns are just too big for EDC. I guess most the people here are eskimo's or something, because I just don't see how you do it with all these CZ's and variants for EDC. the best guns ever, but large and cumbersome. the smallest tristar is 15 round double stack.

JDBerg
May 26, 2015, 11:56 AM
I would strongly recommend the "updated" polymer framed CZ P-07 with the easily interchangeable safety and decocker levers, which became possible to do with the Omega trigger. CZ saves money by not having to produce & inventory separate manual safety and decocker versions, and I think this savings is reflected in the reasonable $510.00 MSRP for the gun, I have seen these for $50 -$60 less than that in several gun stores. I wish other manufacturers would license this design. You also get the ability to modify the backstrap with the updated version of the P-07.

HK just introduced the subcompact version of the P30, the P30SK Nice gun but pricey. I have the P30 in SA/DA and I really like this for EDC.

dakota1911
May 26, 2015, 02:21 PM
Given what you want something in the SIG or CZ line I think.

ritepath
May 26, 2015, 05:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZUL4ITG254

You big dummy...didn't you know there's only one handgun. Now stop being stupid and buy a g19.:rolleyes:

Or a CZ p-07 if you want a great pistol.

jcv
May 29, 2015, 10:04 PM
Nobody's mentioned the Lionheart version of the South Korean service pistol. It comes in full size and compact. It provides several carry options including traditional DA/SA, cocked and locked SA, and a unique form of pre-cocked DA.
Hickok 45 reviewed it sometime last year.

DA/SA Fan
May 29, 2015, 10:45 PM
I just picked up a SAR ARMS B6PC. Very nice gun. Polymer frame, 13+1,(but the grip feels thin in your hand) Light and very concealable IWB carry. Only shortcoming, if it matters to you, is that it doesn't do +P ammo. EXTREMELY good quality for an under $300.00 pistol. I never really cared for Tupperware but I am very impressed with the B6PC.

michael t
May 30, 2015, 05:04 PM
Bersa Thunder 9 UC.

A good working 9mm DA/SA Very reliable and trouble free

Pukindog12
May 30, 2015, 07:35 PM
Walther P99 AS
CZ P-07
Bersa Thunder 9UC Pro

DA/SA Fan
May 30, 2015, 09:57 PM
Origally posted by skizzums:
I love my ti star, I have the t-100, the smallest one available and with an alloy frame.......the only way I can comfortably carry it is with an undershoulder which is inreasonable in the summer at work. these guns are just too big for EDC. I guess most the people here are eskimo's or something, because I just don't see how you do it with all these CZ's and variants for EDC. the best guns ever, but large and cumbersome. the smallest tristar is 15 round double stack.

Wow! I'm a fat guy but even the T-120 feels like it's not there after a little while. I really can't imagine someone with a small enough frame to not be able to conceal a C-100 size pistol unless they must wear spandex:D. The Crossbreed type IWB holsters are great for making them disappear. As far a shoulder rig goes I wear a pocket tee with the shoulder rig and cover up with a very loose opened button down short sleeved shirt. If it's too hot for that it's too hot for anything any way.

Hank R
May 31, 2015, 11:19 AM
If you can not afford a new SIG P239 , then look for a used one in excellent condition for about $550. Also you might want to consider the Bersa Thunder 9 UC which is lighter in weight but a very good pistol for about $425.

Scout
May 31, 2015, 11:37 AM
I've been very happy with the Beretta PX 4 Compact

iviax
June 1, 2015, 10:24 AM
Sig p938 Glock 43

CajunBass
June 2, 2015, 07:01 AM

My wife used to have a G-19. She traded it off for something else (A Model 29-2 S&W). She recently bought a G-17 for the range (she doesn't carry). I gotta admit they're great guns, even though I love to make fun of them.

Still the main reason I won't own one, or at least wouldn't admit to it, is the fan-boys. ;) Same reason I never really wanted a Ranger bass boat.

To the OP. Go over to the used section, and keep your eye peeled for a Smith & Wesson Model 39-2.