PDA

View Full Version : Scope on M&P Sport

Prof Young
April 23, 2015, 11:27 PM
Shooters:
I think I want to put a scope on my M&P Sport. It looks to me like the first step is to replace the front sight with a gas block, which means taking the flash suppressor off. Right?
Any tips on this whole process would be appreciated. I've watched a few youtube videos on the subject but figure one can never learn to much about this stuff.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

4thPoint
April 23, 2015, 11:48 PM
Shouldn't be necessary.
If you get a red dot, getting one with 'lower 1/3 co-witness' will put the front sight down out of the bottom unless you adjust your head to see it.
If you get a red dot with 'absolute co-witness' the red dot sits should sit just at the tip of your front sight, unnoticed until you need it.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/cowit1-1.jpg

If you get a scope with any sort of adjustable power, even a 1-4x, the focal length of the scope should be further than your front sight, it will disappear like your nose does to your eyes.

I used an Eotech with regular AR sights and never found it to be a problem and it's 1X.

You can reprofile a FSB to low-profile while it's still on the barrel, but try it before you break out the Dremel and files.

Prof Young
April 24, 2015, 05:19 PM
4th point
Thanks so much. I don't want a red dot, but yes I should try a regular scope on there and see how it works before I try to change the front sight. Great thoughts.

smarquez
April 24, 2015, 09:40 PM
I have shot 2-7, 3-9 and 3x scopes on my AR's. No need to remove the sight/gas block.

10-96
April 25, 2015, 01:26 AM
+1, I only use Mueller scopes now and even when trying to see the front sight, I just can't see it anywhere at 6x or higher.

livingintx
April 25, 2015, 08:55 AM
I had a Nikon P-223 3-9x40 on my M&P 15 Sport and never saw the front sight at all.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag389/livingintx/CS2_9577_zps988d25d3.jpg

Prof Young
April 25, 2015, 10:19 PM
You guys are making me sooo glad I posed the question here instead of blinding moving ahead. This makes perfect sense and I'd have gone to a lot of trouble for nothing. The Firing line forum is the best.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

cdbeagle
May 1, 2015, 12:39 AM
My AR has a 2-7 and my son's has a 1-4. At the lowest power setting on both scopes the front sight is barely visible at the bottom of the objective but does not not in any way interfere with the sight picture.

Prof Young
August 23, 2015, 10:34 PM
By way of follow up to the OP, I've put a Pentax scope on my AR and it is as if the front sigh is not there. So glad I didn't try to change the front gas port to get rid of the front sight. Don't have any pics of targets but I'm getting "good enough for hunting at 100 yards" groups of a sand bag.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young