PDA

View Full Version : Safariland vs HKS Speedloader

weblance
April 18, 2015, 12:35 PM
I have started depending on a revolver for carry, and am wondering which style speedloader everyone prefers. The Safariland, and HKS seem to be popular, but I see they operate differently on release of the cartridges into the cylinder. I already ordered a pair of HKS loaders for my 44 Bulldog. I am going to order a pair for my Police Undercover. Should I stay with the HKS and not introduce another release style? Is the "pushbutton" release of the Safariland so much better that I should use the HKS loaders for range use, and buy Safariland loaders for my Bulldog? Im pretty clueless as to which style is better.

I do have speed strips, and will also carry a couple strips of ammo.

BarryLee
April 18, 2015, 01:19 PM
I’ve always used the HKS with good results. Since we’re not talking about a big ticket item why not buy one of each and do your own evaluation then post your results here.

Sharkbite
April 18, 2015, 01:33 PM
I started my career carrying a M64 in LA. I greatly prefer the Safariland speedloader.

You mention it being a "pushbutton" release, but thats not exactly correct. The release is on the bottom of the loader and covered by the loaded rounds. It is star shaped and is activated by the ejector star of the revolver as the speedloader is pushed into the cylinder.

The "button" on the top of the loader is only used to lock rounds into the speedloader

With the Safariloader loader you simply push the loader into the gun and the rounds pop into the cylinder.

4V50 Gary
April 18, 2015, 02:11 PM
I carried HKS when I was on duty. I also trained with them too.

Snyper
April 18, 2015, 02:35 PM
I'd stick with one style since you already know they perform well

Bart B.
April 18, 2015, 02:38 PM
I've used both in my S&W Mod 19 shooting two loaders in the handgun's "numbers" game. It's a six-shot handgun; 6 shots in 6 seconds inside 6 inches at 6 yards. Twice across that SD exercise fast as possible between each one.

With the HKS, I have to hold the cylinder in place muzzle down, then start the rounds into the cylinder then twist its knob before closing the cylinder.

With the Safariland, I just point it muzzle down then push its load button in while aligning the rounds in the cylinder then closing it.

To me, there's less finger fumbling with the Safariland. It also is more secure holding rounds in it and takes up less room with ammo. But it's a bit tricker to load.

2damnold4this
April 18, 2015, 04:39 PM
My experiences are like Bart's. It seems to be easier to put rounds into the hks loaders but the Safariland loaders place the rounds into the revolver easier.

4V50 Gary
April 18, 2015, 07:32 PM
Bart B is right in that the SafariiLand is slightly faster. However, they're a bit more work to fill. That won't matter because they're carried loaded and it's not like you're going to reload a speedloader in the middle of a gunfight. Still, I was fast enough with the HKS that I didn't worry about it.

boondocker385
April 18, 2015, 07:50 PM
Safariland all the way. Faster....

Bultaco
April 18, 2015, 09:58 PM
I have used both types as well as the much longer pure competition Safariland model. If you intend to let one rattle around in a coat pocket I would go with the HKS. Secured in a belt carrier, they are both going to hold the cartridges securely. I always went HKS for hunting and the Safariland for competition.

weblance
April 19, 2015, 12:46 PM
I didnt realize the Safariland releases when the speedloader contacts the ejector star. That seems much more intuitive. I wonder what happens when you have a grip that contacts the loader before it can be pushed completely down to the cylinder. I suppose the Safariland wont release, but the HKS could be released "early"...? From comments from those who choose to use the HKS, it sounds like the HKS is a very good loader. I guess the thing to do is buy a couple of the Safariland loaders, and make my own decision.

Slopemeno
April 20, 2015, 12:53 AM
Safariland Comp-II's for me. I have a couple that are 30 + years old and still working.

MrBorland
April 20, 2015, 02:11 PM
I didnt realize the Safariland releases when the speedloader contacts the ejector star. That seems much more intuitive. I wonder what happens when you have a grip that contacts the loader before it can be pushed completely down to the cylinder. I suppose the Safariland wont release, but the HKS could be released "early"...?

The CompIs and IIs take a firm push to get them to release, at which point, the rounds simply fall into the chambers. The competition CompIII (and JetLoaders) is spring-activated, and takes less push to release. And when released, the rounds are actively rammed into the chambers.

As far as fit with grips, it's generally a pretty close fit down there. Clearance between the speedloader and grips can sometimes be an issue, but a little trimming back of that area of the grip can help quite a lot.

I'm not sure how much of an advantage the twist-release is, relative to grip interference. If interference prevents the rounds from inserting far enough into the cylinder before being released with a twist, you run the risk of dumping your ammo on the ground.