PDA

View Full Version : NEOS .22 plinking scope

Loronzo
April 16, 2015, 11:51 AM
Hi. We have a beretta neos .22 pistol. After much attempted plinking we just can't like this gun. I think the main issue is really the sights on it. Instead of selling it I want to put a scope on it. Specifically to play "battleship" on specific targets from 15-25 yards. I don't believe in selling pistols and it's already paid for so all we'll be out of is just the cost of the scope. Really trying to not trade it in at this point.

We are looking to spend no more than $110 pretax on it but the less the better. Its litterally just for plinking and range fun. And To wet our feet in scoped pistols. Considering getting a scoped center fire revolver down the road but that's a ways a way and an entirely different thread. Anyways:

I'm really do not know a whole lot about pistol scopes so any advice or ideas should be much appreciated. Brands,models,types,and magnification. I do know I want a fixed magnification and figured we may be able to find something reasonable since its a very specific range (15-25 yards). It won't be beat around it's either in the safe or a soft case so bumping out of zero shouldn't be an issue short of actual recoil of the round, and 22 is about as light as it gets. What do you suggest we look at/for.

toadywart
April 16, 2015, 02:26 PM
I put this scope on my Neos "TacFire® Tactical 2-7x32 Long Eye Relief Scout Rifle / Pistol Scope w/Rings & Lens Covers" $49 with free shipping from amazon. Sorry it is not fixed magnification. Got good reviews so I bought it. Works great with my Neos. I bought it because I had trouble shooting it with the sights just as you noted, just thought I was a bad shot with it. Put the scope on it and was shocked to see the groups it would fire, 6 inch group of five shots at 10 yards. When I took the gun home I went over every detail trying to figure out what was wrong with it. While inspecting the barrel the light hit it just right that I saw a blemish inside the barrel one inch from the muzzle. Next I took a polished steel rod and slid it into the barrel to make sure it was a blemish, It was not a blemish! When the rod went over the blemish it made a clicking sound. I am going to estimate a .002" bump in the barrel.

I sent it back to Beretta and they replaced the barrel. With the scope and bench rested at ten yards grouping is about 0.5 inches.

carguychris
April 16, 2015, 06:23 PM
Have you considered a red dot sight?

Damon555
April 16, 2015, 07:48 PM
A red dot is the way to go...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/edlafond/Weapons/DSC_0663.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/edlafond/media/Weapons/DSC_0663.jpg.html)

softmentor
April 17, 2015, 02:25 AM
I agree with carguychris try a red dot. fast to target, plenty accurate for that distance. Here is what I did, cheep and really works great. I can hit a quarter at 25 yards 9 out of 10 times, the gun and sight can do it 10.
http://www.cdnnsports.com/bsa-red-dot-30mm-tube-matte-black.html#.VTC1Acml9tE
http://www.cdnnsports.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/R/D/RD30.jpg

AirForceShooter
April 17, 2015, 06:27 AM
That's the one

AFS

TailGator
April 17, 2015, 10:42 AM
I am far from expert in red dot scopes, owning exactly one in my lifetime. That one is a TruGlo that my kids got on sale for $30 at a Gander Mountain and gave to me for a Father's Day present. I was told that the difference between high-end and cheap red dots was how they held up to recoil. I put that little cheapie on my own Neos after deciding, like you, that the sights were the weakest part of the pistol, and reasoning that there could hardly be a place where recoil was less of an issue than a relatively heavy pistol firing .22LR. It has been fine for four or five years now. If it goes down the hole on my next trip to the range I will feel like I got my money out of it. Take this missive for what it is worth - sample size of one and no previous experience with red dots, but it is working for me.

g.willikers
April 17, 2015, 10:54 AM
Another vote for a tube type red dot on .22s.
My slightly cross-eyed better half has no trouble hitting 3" steel plates at 15 plus yds with it.
Ours is Tasco ProPoint.
We also have a much less expensive BSA that does it almost as well.
The dot isn't quite as bright.

Loronzo
April 17, 2015, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice! At these price points may just have to pick up both a 2-7 and a red dot and still be in budget! We have been joking that we know why they put a rail system on it in the first place, seems we aren't alone there. Haha.