PDA

View Full Version : Tomcat...which is a "good" one?

ReserveCop
February 4, 2001, 11:06 AM
I have read in many posts to make sure you get a "good" Tomcat (in reference to overall quality and reliability). How can you tell? Should you look for some level Serial Number? A certain Prefix on the gun? Etc.? Any other feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

glockorama
February 4, 2001, 11:41 AM
I bought an early Tomcat and the same day I bought it, the safety broke and I had to take it out. The upside was that it does not effect the overall safety of carrying the gun and I like it better now because the safety lever doesn't did into my side when I carry it. But, it did make me wonder about the overall quality of the gun. It will not feed hollow points reliably, so I carry Glaser safety slugs in it. If I had it to do all over again, I would pass on it.

glh
February 4, 2001, 12:17 PM
I have read so much bad press on the Tomcat... I had to have one to see for myself just how bad this gun is.

After having fired several hundred rounds out of the gun without a single failure to feed...Corbon.. hardball..
silvertip etc and finding the gun to shoot 2-3.5" at 10/15 yards..I gotta tell you I really must say that the problems experienced with the early guns have been corrected.

I have the Alleycat I dont know if this is a newer gun or they just put Ashley sights on the older ones..But I hate to see a good little back up be passed for consideration unless a real problem is there. This gun shoots like a gun..and you can get ahold of it in a hurry.

The problem I have with these guns folks tell me fit in the back pocket and all that... is what in the world good.. does a gun do you in your back pocket... when you need it.

If the gun will not conceal, and at the same time be ready to use quickly when I need it...about the only thing I can see resulting from that mess is trouble.

Grapeshot
February 4, 2001, 12:21 PM
I've been researching this very topic, since I am seriously considering buying a Tomcat.

First, I wouldn't buy a used one - the first ones that came out seem to have been utter pieces of crap. It seems like the people who got these guns are also very vocal critics of the modern guns too. I don't know whether Beretta has fixed the bugs in the design or not, but a lot of other people who have more recent models on here say that they work ok.

Second, I'd buy the Stainless Widebody version instead of the matte one. Rumor has it that Beretta only believes the matte ones have a lifespan of 1,000 - 2,000 rds. and intro'd the Widebody as a beefed-up, more durable version. Having looked at the WB the other day, nothing seems beefed up to me but the slide, which seems way thicker than the frame. I don't know how this helps anything.

Of course, the WB just makes a chunky gun chunkier, and that bothers a lot of people. But not me, since it's not nearly as wide as the cylinder on the .38 I carry in my pocket.

Most people warn me against the 'cat, but I just find that these guns fit my hand to a tee. People on here tout the Crap-Tec a lot but it just seems TOO small and TOO light for me. Additionally, it has no sights like the Tomcat does.
Watch, you'll get about 15 inane responses that totally ignore your question and tell you to buy a Crap-tec.

Having read a lot of posts on the Tomcat, I can't help but wonder if its reliablility problems aren't primarily ammo-related. I get the impression that to allay the costs of good .32 ammo (which are surprisingly high) that people try to run foreign ammo like the hot Fiocchi. And the guns choke on it. I know my Bobcat .22 was like that, having distinct tastes, but it ran what it liked 100%.

Hope this helps!

logansdad
February 5, 2001, 04:46 PM
I owned both matte blue and SS Tomcats at one time. The firing pins broke in both. Given, the breakages occurred while dry firing, but WITH SNAP CAPS in the chamber both times. The fact that the firing pins broke in both gave me pause as to whether they would go "pop" when I wanted them to. Got rid of them for this reason.

Regarding feed reliability, I had no problems in this area. Used S&B and Fiocchi FMJ and WW Silvertips.

The mode of carry was my favorite for a pistol - Condition One.

As for concealment, I thought that my Tomcats concealed very well in a pocket holster in my right hip pocket. This is just as good as any other place to conceal a gun (especially a small one) and can add an element of surprise to your counterattack if you are caught in Condition White.

BG: "Gimme your wallet!"
You, reaching into your hip pocket: "OK - here it is."
BANG BANG BANG.
This assumes, of course, that your firing pin didn't break somewhere in there. ;)

jtduncan
February 6, 2001, 01:28 PM
What we are talking about is a belly gun here. Sights are irrelevant. Draw and shoot. That's it. Then run for cover or your car for more firepower.

I've shot all of the Bobcats, Tomcats, Seecamps, and Guardians. But the widebody Tomcat many of my friends used to carry had too mnay mechanical failures and FTFs for me. I carried an Airlite revolver.

So why buy a jammomatic mini-brick that is ammo-sensitive?

People around here and on other webistes have for the past two years sworn off of their Tomcats for Seecamps, NAA Guardians, and . . .P-32s? use the search function and read up.

The gun has some known problems with in barrel and feed ramp design and the quality of the mteal they are using in their safeties, springs, and levers internally.

All of the engineering in the world won't bring this HUMPTY DUMPTY on par with NAA, Seecamp, or KT. It's too thick and has an exposed hammer.

Don't fight the P-32 collective, you will be assimilated once you shoot a P-32. Get one of these now. Hurry . . . Ressitance is futile. You will be assimilated . . .

Get one of these . . .

http://www.kel-tec.com/images/p32-auto-large.gif

It's not pretty. It's inexpensively made. some of them need fine tuning and fluffing and buffing. But for $220 you can get a hard chromed slide and a lifetime warranty. Who else give you that and great customer service. Cliff and the former Marty are world famous for their customer service.

Get the darn gun.

frbank6
February 6, 2001, 03:36 PM
I, too, broke my recent production Tomcat's firing pin, using Snap-Caps. Sure it, was fixed free. But I also had
multiple Feed failures, and failures to fire, using Winchester, Remington, and Fiochi. Plus, It's just too big and heavy for what it is. I was just as skeptical as anyone about the Kel-Tec, but I've not had any malfuctions in 400+ rounds.