PDA

View Full Version : Romanian ak-74 5.45x39 package at CDNN?

mark357
February 4, 2001, 07:42 AM
Anyone seen the ad I'm talking about in Shotgun News for $349.00? Are these Romanians better quality then the SAR series? Looks like a nice little package w/ 4 bakelite mags, extra rec'er cover w/ scope rings and scope and wooden Draganov stock. Anyone own or shot one. I'd ask over at http://www.ak-47.net buts it's down. Thanks.

MiniZ
February 4, 2001, 10:56 AM
I've seen the ad. The Romaks in the ad have a little better fit and finish overall, and you don't have to deal with the US fire control parts(seem to be soft in the '99 SARs) since these rifles have the "bunghole" stock. I also have not heard of anyone having a problem with a canted sight base or gas block with these rifles either.

There is a guy on AK.47.net(posts as Omar) that bought two of them, and he is working on a step by step tutorial(including pictures) of the steps necessary to add the romanian site base/compensator to these rifles.

The only negative from my perspective is the "bunghole" stock. The pistol grip area is really fat(IMHO). If you like the look of the stock(it is attractive), and you find the grip fat, you can always recontour it to your liking. Or, as others have done, replace enough of the Romanian parts with US, and put on a pistol grip.

Cannon Cocker
February 4, 2001, 01:55 PM
I bought one of those rifles at J&G Sales back in December for $299. I've got to say that the overall fit and finish is much better than the SAR rifles. Another good thing is that you get good quality Romanian fire control parts rather than the US made stuff that can be a real crap shoot depending on when it was made. Mine is a very accurate and well made rifle.

The grip area on the Dragonov stock is very wide and feels a little like gripping a brick, but some people like it. As for me I can live with it, but there are good aftermarket stocks like the Choate and Fiberforce that look nice and feel better and you don't have to replace any parts. If you do want to change out the stock to pistol grip configuration you can pick and choose the parts you replace so that you get the best quality.

One thing to watch out for is that the front site may be canted on any Romanian rifle of this sort, including the SAR's so you might want to ask about that before ordering.