PDA

View Full Version : Better For CCW - Sig 232 or Walther PPK?

Sarge55
May 14, 2000, 03:39 AM
Can anyone share their knowledge on the concealibility of these two pistols? Most comfortable to carry? Dimensions of each? Kicking around the idea of selling my nearly new P232 and buying (or trading) for a PPK. Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sarge55

------------------
DAH BIG DAWG'S ON DUTY

sigarms229
May 14, 2000, 03:57 AM
Keep the 232. The american made Walther PPK's are crap. Had one, failed to feed, eject and ignite primers. Sent back to Interarms, problems continued. Sold it, bought a used Sig 230, never looked back, never regretted it one bit.

I'm buddies with a local FFL and cover his shop occasionally when he needs a day off and he pretty much shares the same opinion. He's a small one man operation and sells maybe 10-12 of the PPK's per year. We were discussing a similar subject the other day (cause a guy came in and put moneyo down to get a PPK) and so far in 2000, he's sent 2 off for work cause of failures to ignite, and eject. He said that last year he probably sent out 4 for work.

From what I understand, Interarms is no longer with Walther manufacturing PPK's? If that's true, maybe things will change but otherwise I'd take a 230/232 any day over the PPK. It might be a little bigger, but its a more reliable gun.

That's my 2 cents.

P.S. Always carried stong side in an IWB, worked well for me. Tried a friends ankle holster once but didn't work out.

------------------
John
"Never argue with an idiot, they pull you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Gremlin
May 14, 2000, 08:20 PM
*yawns* What's this? Another Sig fan dissing the PPK? Gee, I've only read that about a million times.

My Interarms manufactured stainless PPK has over a thousand rounds through it. I had a couple failures to feed in the first box I shot through the gun--not unlike any other pistol I've ever owned.

My PPK will put 5 shots into a group smaller than your fist at 25 feet. It's incredibly slim and conceals extremely easily. It's a beautiful gun with great lines and a superb finish. It fits well in my hand. My eleven year old son fires it at the range without either discomfort or problem.

Got a problem with the PPK? Get over it. They're beautiful weapons and a great addition to any collection--in most quarters they're considered a 'must have' and that's something I've NEVER read about a 232.

------------------
Take the long way home...

Tecolote
May 14, 2000, 08:41 PM
Glad you like your PPK. The nice gash the PPK slide cut into my hand is a reminder never again to go down that road. Never had this problem with a P230. ;)

As for collectors, who cares? I could care less that PPks are "must have." I don't like them and I've got no plan to own one. The PPK has been around 50 years so it's only natural that it's earned a stronger following than the more recent P230 and even newer P232. For me pistols aren't something I cheerish and baby. If they don't work for me I could care less how coveted they are by others. Of course each person's experiences are different.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Gremlin
May 14, 2000, 09:14 PM
Once again, Telecote, your expertise and degree of self assurance is received with exactly the same degree of respect with which it was offered.

About five million PPK owners are wrong again.

Sorry, our collective mistake...

------------------

sigarms229
May 14, 2000, 10:10 PM
Gremlin,

I didn't "diss" all PPK's. I dissed the American made PPK.

But wait, your right. The PPK design is "a beautiful gun with great lines " but that's where it ends for the Interarms versions.

So how many of those 5 million PPK's are made by Interarms? Not too many. The German made ones are quality pieces. The American made ones are crap. Don't take my word for it. Do a search and see how many others on this site have felt that way.

By the way, if the Interarms version is so great, why isn't Interarms licensed to produce it anymore? Maybe it's cause they're "crap" like I stated before.

Just my measly "sig fan" opinion.

------------------
John
"Never argue with an idiot, they pull you down to their level and beat you with experience"

terridarri
May 14, 2000, 10:29 PM
Gunslinger and I distribute a CCW holster that will conceal those two guns and any other handguns comfortably, if you want information e-mail one of us, these are very cool to wear in the summer. We have even had one person purchase one of these to conceal his Taurus Raging Bull handgun, awful big gun to conceal. LOL

[This message has been edited by terridarri (edited May 14, 2000).]

Hann
May 14, 2000, 10:36 PM
sarge55,

Kahr MK9 gets my vote, for your reading pleasure:
[Link to invalid post]

Regards,
Hann

ShallCarry
May 14, 2000, 10:37 PM
Keep the P-232.

AA
May 14, 2000, 10:45 PM
Friend of mine, retired Sacramento County sheriff, has had an Interarms early SS PPK for many years; and he is as accurate as he is w/ his Beretta 92. So I bought one. It did not feed anything; returned it to I'arms, and only had a few failures after that. Sold it and went back to my Sig P232 for CCW -- just don't wear jeans, and the #3 pocket holster from U. MIke's works ok. The 232 is totally realiable, and I doubt Sig will ever make it smaller; but that would be a bonus.
But, I am a German Walther fan; and have since purchased a German PPK in 32 and a PP Last Edition in 380. The PPK is a work of art and a KEEPER and will function all day with ball ammo. The PP will be vaulted.
Yes, Interarms no longer deals with Walther -- Walther USA (under the same roof as Smith & Wesson) has the license, and the American PPK is still made in Alabama and should be soon be stamped WALTHER USA instead of Interarms.
Have been considering buying a Glock 27 (again) to alternate with the P232.

Stoic
May 14, 2000, 10:55 PM
The Walther PPK is too heavy and is chambered for an anemic round (.380) compared to the more modern alternatives for concealed carry. I would recommend purchasing a Mini-Glock.

If the PPK is for everyday concealed carry, then I would get it in stainless.

I carried one for awhile and disgarded it because of its weight and anemic chambering. There are better alternatives.

However, it's fun to pretend that you're James Bond. :) :)

PLASTIC SIG
May 14, 2000, 11:51 PM
I wouldnt buy anything from interarms. I think everything they make is trash. I been down that road and dont want to go back.

Interarms may have been credible many years ago, but their recent arms make better paper-weights.

Just 1 guys opinion.

Tim :)

------------------
Why dont you get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a glock. :::Tommy Lee Jones:::

CMOS
May 15, 2000, 06:36 AM
I'll echo exactly what Sigarms229 stated.

I've owned both. Keep the Sig. Now, if you can get a German made Walther, that's a whole different ball game.

CMOS

------------------
NRA? Good. Now joing the GOA!

Tecolote
May 15, 2000, 09:27 AM
Gremlin,

So your point is? Like I said, the PPK doesn't work for me. If you like them buy more and shoot them often.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Gremlin
May 15, 2000, 03:34 PM
"For me, the classic .380 has always been the Walther PPK. Maybe I spent too many hours reading James Bond novels as a teenager, but from the time I handled my first PPK, the compact Walther just felt right. It is flat, relatively streamlined and just about the right size for a trousers pocket. At 6 1/2 inches overall and 21ounces, the PPK actually approaches the upper limit of what I consider a pocket pistol."
"...the American PPK is designed for modern ammunition, and mine has performed well with whichever high-performance combat ammo I've chosen to feed it. Reliability is excellent, and this is the absolute bottom line for a combat pistol. Like the fine wine, the PPK has improved with age, and it remains the standard by which other .380 pocket autos should be judged."
Leroy Thompson, author “Concealed Carry Guns

------------------

jtduncan
May 15, 2000, 03:44 PM
Neither. Both are hard to conceal. Maybe a Glock 26/27, Kahr K9/MK9/40, or even smaller, Kel Tec P-32 for a lot less.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter

edfrompa
May 15, 2000, 03:52 PM
Just sent back PPK 380, told them to keep it.
Send me my money back. Failure to feed problem. It is not a good problem to have, especially if your life depends on it. I chose a 3913tsw pre-agreement, fired about 1500 rounds, no misfires, or failure to feed. Works like a fine piece of machinery. A word to the wise should be sufficent.

edfrompa
May 15, 2000, 03:54 PM
Yes, the German made Walther PPK is a different story. That is another fine piece of machinery. That is worth getting!!

jimmy
May 15, 2000, 05:00 PM
Personally, if I were going to carry a .380, it would certainly be the SIG.

BTW, when weighing the quality of Walther .380s, don't forget the French Manurhins made under Walther license (in fact, for a time all Walther PPs were made by Manurhin). I used to have a Manurhin-marked PP .32--excellent fit and finish, perfectly reliable, and fun to shoot. I had a chance to get a NIB Manurhin PPK/S .380, failed to act quickly enough, and have been kicking myself ever since. Manurhin stopped exporting their PPK/S to the U.S. soon after. I wish new Manurhins were still available here, but presumably there are some good used ones around somewhere.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited May 15, 2000).]

Coronach
May 15, 2000, 08:10 PM
My experience with the PPK is limited to James Bond books, and one day of firing at the range. In that day the PPK (Interarms) didn't jam...but I know that this PPK had been to the gunsmith at least one time (it was a friend's gun).

I was basically deciding between a PPK/S and a Sig P232. I went with the Sig, not because I'm a sig fan (I'm not especially), but because the sig felt better in my hand, had slightly less felt recoil (most likely a product of its fat grips and slightly greater mass) and it shot better. Or, rather, I shot better with it. The Walther felt a little too small in my hands.

on the downside, the PPK is a little smaller, and probably easier to conceal.

Its entirely subjective. I'd recommend you rent a PPK and try it. If you like it, then go for it. Just be aware of the already-mentioned reliability issues. From what I've heard you either end up with a lemon or you don't...if you don't experience problems after the initial teething period, you probably won't ever again.

Mike

Sarge55
May 15, 2000, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback! I think I may reconsider the Kahr MK9.

Sarge55

------------------
DAH BIG DAWG'S ON DUTY