PDA

View Full Version : Best little plinker!

Profiler
February 12, 2015, 01:18 AM
So I took my lessons and bought my real gun, a beauty of a Beretta...

I am now thinking I want a little pllinker, to practice with cheap smooth and improve my accuracy. I still plan to shoot the big guns, but we wonder about whether I should do practicing more often with a 22, and only semi-regularly 9 mm.

What's the opinion? I'm not a huge gun person, I don't want any guns, but I thought I might want a 22 for plinking and accuracy, and would shoot less, but regularly with the Beretta...

Opinions? And thanks!:D

AustinTX
February 12, 2015, 02:20 AM
Congrats on your Inox Brigadier! They are beautiful indeed, on top of being first-class pistols.

I like shooting target pistols in .22, but, unless you're still working on fundamentals, I think it's better to practice often with the caliber/gun you've selected for self-defense.

Since it does sound like you're pretty new to shooting, a .22 can be useful for developing sound shooting habits and avoiding bad ones. As you probably know, Beretta makes a .22 kit for the 92FS consisting of a different barrel, slide, and magazine, but they're pretty expensive. Were you thinking about getting that or a separate pistol? If you're thinking about a separate pistol, I'd look at a Ruger Mark III or a Browning Buckmark. The Ruger is generally cheaper. You can find them for under $300 on Gunbroker.

Ibmikey
February 12, 2015, 03:38 AM
The "best little plinker" is the new S&W M&P .22 Compact.....try it and you will know the best.

kcub
February 12, 2015, 04:45 AM
The only .22 auto I've ever had or experienced that was 100% reliable with every type of .22 long rifle I've thrown at it is my Belgian Browning Challenger made in the 70's. They can be had in pristine condition for $600 or less and they are worth every penny. Of course you could say the same about the Belgian Browning Medalist but it's more costly, but also well worth it.

There are other good .22 autos but most tend to be somewhat if not extremely ammo picky and that's not good when any .22 ammo is hard to find, let alone a particular "pet" load. For example I have a Ruger Mark II I think that is reliable ONLY with CCI minimags.

PSP
February 12, 2015, 06:20 AM
You like Beretta, stick with Beretta and pick up a NEOS. These are very reasonably priced, have a decent trigger, come in different barrel lengths and are pretty accurate.

marine6680
February 12, 2015, 09:07 AM
A 22 pistol can really help with training on the fundamentals... And even experienced shooters can benefit from practice on a 22 from time to time... Not to mention that a 22 can be a heck of a lot of fun. My fiance's Ruger is one of her favorite pistols.

Putting a hundred rounds or so through a 22 every range trip can really help with marksmanship fundamentals.

22 ammo is harder to come by now, but it's getting easier and finding it online isn't too hard if you don't find any local. Current prices will make a 1000rds about $75 or so.

Some 22 pistols can be ammo picky... Meaning they may not like certain brands of ammo, or not work well unless using high velocity ammo. Most established and respected designs work well and tend to be less or not picky... I will limit suggestions to those.

As far as what 22 to get... The choice depends on your preference. There are many options available, here is a short list of good ones.

The Neos is an interesting little pistol. There is an optional kit that turns the pistol into a nice little carbine rifle and back. So there is that little option if you are interested. I see the Neos for sale in my area for under $300 regularly. They are easy to disassemble for cleaning.

The Ruger MkIII is a good little pistol, especially the target model. There are several versions, with the target being a midrange option. I see them for $325-350... There are fancier versions and basic versions of the MkIII, but the target model is a good balance of size/weight and performance. There is aftermarket support as well... But the pistol is a little finicky to disassemble and get back together, even for experienced shooters.

The Browning Buckmark is also a good target type 22, it's easier to maintain than the Ruger, but does require an Allen wrench to disassemble. Still, it's not difficult. The midrange options are a good value, just a little more expensive than a similar Ruger. $350-400 from my experience.

Then there are non target style 22s... Some are designed to look similar to modern poly semi auto pistols.

The Ruger SR22 is a good little pistol, and we'll built, though not as accurate as a target type pistol. It's not ammo picky from my experience. Easy to maintain as well.

The M&P22c is a good pistol from what I hear. Not ammo picky either. Very easy to maintain from what I see.

There are also 22 conversion kits for many pistols, but they can be expensive, and also performance and reliability can be spotty.

pilpens
February 13, 2015, 09:40 AM
Browning Buckmark and Ruger MK or 22/45 with 4"-5.5" barrel.

The only thing you cannot practice well with 22LR pistols is follow up shots because of the lack of recoil.
Manual of arms may differ but I consider it a small cost to allow you cheap good practice.

g.willikers
February 13, 2015, 09:48 AM
Trigger time is trigger time, whether it's with your 9mm, a .22, an airgun, or dryfire.
It all adds to both the enjoyment of shooting and provides useful practice.
Can't ever get too much trigger time.

skoro
February 13, 2015, 10:51 AM
Opinions?

Ruger MkIII or 22/45

TailGator
February 13, 2015, 05:34 PM
The Neos is inexpensive, reliable, and accurate, with the extra advantage of having a similar safety setup as your center fire pistol. If you can ignore the, um, unusual styling, it could be a good choice for you.

Cheapshooter
February 13, 2015, 07:31 PM
LOTS of practice with a 22, but don't put the 9MM away, and forget it. It is always wise to keep familiar with your carry gun.
As for which one, you are happy with Beretta, stay with Beretta. Although I personally can't get past the 50's Space Cadet ray gun water pistol look of the NEOS, they are quite accurate, and dependable. I have some experience with my son's,and it has been a very good gun.

tallball
February 13, 2015, 09:44 PM
I have been shooting regularly for about 35 years. I still start every shooting session with a 22.

For target work, my Buck Mark and my FiL'S Ruger MarkII are both terrific. Just for fooling around, the little Beretta with the tip-up barrel or its Taurus clone are great for shooting at cans or whatever out in the country. I still prefer revolvers overall, and many of them are nine shooters these days.

If you want something that is extremely finicky and unreliable, I will sell you my Sig Mosquito.

aarondhgraham
February 13, 2015, 11:33 PM
Trigger time is trigger time, whether it's with your 9mm, a .22, an airgun, or dryfire.
It all adds to both the enjoyment of shooting and provides useful practice.
Can't ever get too much trigger time.

I think this is absolutely true.

I shoot a lot of .22 because it's all I can afford,,,
I would love to shoot more 9mm and .38,,,
But alas, I can't afford much of it.

But a friend with more money than me,,,
Shoots .22 for the low recoil.

Go figure,,,

But back to the original question,,,
What is the "best little plinker"?

I have no idea which pistol is "best".

But in my not-so humble opinion,,,
The Ruger SR-22 is a candidate.

DA/SA with exposed hammer and decocker,,,
My gun has been 100% reliable for me,,,
It eats every ammo and cleans easily.

At this exact moment in time,,,
My SR-22 is my favorite range toy.

That's subject to change at any moment. ;)

Aarond

peggysue
February 14, 2015, 12:34 PM
My Ruger MK 1 Target which I have been shooting since I was a teen is still one of the most accurate 22s I own. My eyesight has taken a toll so the steel sights just don't work for me so well anymore.
I think my aluminum Whitney Wolverine is my slickest looking 22.