PDA

View Full Version : NIB Colt 1903's?

TomADC
January 24, 2015, 11:04 AM
To bad they are going to do a limited run on these should be 10,000 vs 2500 if the price was right and not a collector price I'd own one of these.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/23/colt-producing-new-model-1903-pistols/

Glenn E. Meyer
January 24, 2015, 12:08 PM
I wonder if limited is just a market test?

When I took my CHL course in TX way back when, some old folks were using Grandad's original for the shooting part. Unfortunately, they kept loading the magazine backwards. Rounds the wrong way.

It is nice gun. So when will there be a polymer, SS version in 9mm with a red dot optic? Thought I'd short circuit someone asking that. :D

TomADC
January 24, 2015, 01:31 PM
They remind me of the Kimber Solo.

ninjarealist
January 24, 2015, 01:38 PM
I think this is pretty cool. I'm a big fan of how some of the pre-1911 Browning pistols looked. I hope they reproduce the 1900 at some point. I don't think there's a single pistol that looks cooler in a long-slide version. Would probably be a royal pain to reproduce but what do I know?

If the price and reviews are both good enough I will be really tempted to buy one of these new 1903s. Is it the same as having an antique? No. Is it a really cool, classic, pistol design that still looks better than almost anything on the market today? Absolutely.

Of course, knowing Colt, these pistols will probably be absurdly expensive and impossible to find. Not trying to bash on Colt here, I think that's a pretty fair assessment of their marketing strategy with classic guns that haven't been produced in a while.

KyJim
January 24, 2015, 03:54 PM
Colt also has a history of making limited runs of historic 1911s only to then slightly change something and make another limited run of similar 1911s.

DPris
January 24, 2015, 06:28 PM
Colt would not be making it.

If it comes together, it'll emphasize reality for those who ask for long-obsolete classics like this to be brought back.

It WILL BE EXPENSIVE! :)
Denis

Super Sneaky Steve
January 24, 2015, 07:32 PM
Here's the other side of it. I was told not to share it, but I guess the cat is out of the bag.

James K
January 24, 2015, 07:33 PM
And I doubt they will be made by Colt, though Colt's name might be on them. Maybe made in Croatia, or Turkey or Afghanistan or wherever they can be made cheaply.

Jim

DPris
January 24, 2015, 07:48 PM
US made, but not by Colt.
Denis

Glenn E. Meyer
January 24, 2015, 09:07 PM
Made by Google or Amazon, then?

:D

Wreck-n-Crew
January 24, 2015, 09:23 PM
Made by Google or Amazon, then? And sold at the highest possible price? :D

ttarp
January 24, 2015, 09:29 PM
Aww cmon now, don't be haters! I'm not in the market for a collectors gun like these are intended to be, but you have to admit its neat to see a classic design like this brought back, even in such a limited way.

lee n. field
January 24, 2015, 10:30 PM
Made by Google or Amazon, then?

<rank speculation>
Ruger's Pine Tree Casting (http://www.ruger.com/casting/).
</rank speculation>

DPris
January 25, 2015, 01:34 PM
Not a matter of selling at the highest possible price- these will simply not be cheap to develop or produce.
You can't expect a 1903 design made to 1903 quality standards to sell for $500 today, even with modern machinery.

You're looking at start-up costs in developing an entirely new gun from the ground up.

No drawings, no plans, has to be reverse-engineered.
Drawings have to be done. CNC programs have to be created.
Then the costs of acquiring and/or adapting machinery & tooling.
Decisions have to be made re in-house or outsourced, if outsourced it takes time to find a competent small parts fabricating vendor, money to establish a contractual run, and frequently quite a bit of time to tweak the individual part to desired specs from the vendor.
Finishes are another matter. If the maker doesn't have in-house facilities to polish, blue, or Parkerize, the parts will have to be sent out, meaning additional costs.

Colt can't afford it.
It's a fairly substantial project (if quality is a key factor in the end result) for a smaller outfit.
Those who've been wishing for a 1903 bring-back were very naïve if they expected such a pistol (if done right & done in the US) to sell for anything under a grand.

Denis

WVsig
January 25, 2015, 01:46 PM
Cost will be around $1350.00 to $1400 is what I have heard.

DPris
January 25, 2015, 02:42 PM
That's suggested retail, street could go lower.
Could go higher. :)
Denis