PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 1911 9mm in a 4" frame?

Northslope Nimrod
January 14, 2015, 11:59 PM
I already have a 5" Springfield. I just sold my Kimber Ultra Carry II, which is a 3". I want a lightweight 4" 1911 in 9mm. Don't want to spend much more than a grand. Less would be better.

RickB
January 15, 2015, 12:03 PM
Springfield has the Range Officer in "CCO" form, with compact butt length and 4" barrel.
They're apparently coming out soon with a "Commander" RO, with 4" barrel and full-length butt.
9s seem to follow shortly after .45s.

jglsprings
January 15, 2015, 01:24 PM
This is a PRO CARRY II. Aluminum frame, commander slide.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7576/16061067119_23c481af33.jpg

This one is new to me and has been a pleasure to shoot, no problems with function.

Gahaha
January 15, 2015, 01:48 PM
SR1911 from Ruger Commander size, should run you 700ish. Friend of mine has one and swears by it, not as tight as Kimbers but the loose tolerances allows it to be very reliable. The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic safety and beaver tail but that can be swapped out later.

dahermit
January 15, 2015, 01:59 PM
SR1911 from Ruger Commander size, should run you 700ish. Friend of mine has one and swears by it, not as tight as Kimbers but the loose tolerances allows it to be very reliable. The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic safety and beaver tail but that can be swapped out later.Which gun has the plastic parts...SR1911 or Kimber?
Also, has Ruger come out with a 9MM Commander size already?

Gahaha
January 15, 2015, 02:20 PM
The Ruger, the only plastic part Kimber (Stainless) has is the mainspring housing.

Actually oops, didn't read thread carefully, Ruger only has 45s so far.

Uncle Malice
January 15, 2015, 02:23 PM
Gahaha, what are you talking about? Neither the safety selector, nor the grip safety on the Ruger SR1911 are plastic. :confused: :confused:

The Ruger is also not available in 9mm.

Gahaha
January 15, 2015, 04:45 PM
Maybe its me, but they felt like it, maybe its plastic coated metal, but I personally don't like the look of black on stainless. But yea I made a mistake, didn't realize OP was asking for 9mm, my bad.

dahermit
January 15, 2015, 04:53 PM
The black parts on the Ruger SR 1911's were blackened steel when they first came out at least. I doubt if they changed them. I don't like the look of them either.
Colt however sneekily put a plastic mainspring housing on the Colt Commander I bought about six years or so ago. "Sneekily" because they chose a color that looked so much like stainless steel that I was not aware that it was really plastic until I read it here. I swapped it out for a steel one. The plastic one sits on a shelf and it free to anyone who wants to send me postage for it.

RickB
January 15, 2015, 07:47 PM
Colt's been sneaking those in there for over 25 years.

HKFan9
January 15, 2015, 08:08 PM
For about 1K area I would say an STI Lawman

orionengnr
January 15, 2015, 08:44 PM
SR1911 from Ruger Commander size, should run you 700ish.
OP is looking for a lightweight...that means alloy frame. The Ruger is stainless steel.

Ruger is showing an alloy framed 1911 on the website, but not on shelves yet...and they are a lot more than $700.

And they are not available in 9mm.

A used Kimber Pro CDP would be my #1 choice. I don't think S&W makes the PD1911 in 9mm, but i couls be wrong...if they did, I'd go that way in a heartbeat.

HKFan9
January 16, 2015, 06:30 PM
ahh I forgot the Leightweight part.... if alloy is needed, Kimba CDP or Pro Tactical

BigJimP
January 16, 2015, 07:42 PM
I've got a Kimber Tactical Pro model ( 4" alloy frame in 9mm ) ...had it about 10 yrs or so / its been a decent gun. It had a terrible trigger out of the factory...but I had a local gunsmith ...throw all the trigger mechanism away and replace with Wilson Combat components ...and its good now.

Wilson Combat of course makes better guns - than any Kimber I own ( even out of Kimbers custom shop ).../ I will recommend any gun that comes out of Wilson's shop - they're great guns ( and my primary guns ) but there out of your price range..../ but the 2 Kimbers I have ( the Tactical Pro model / and a Gold Combat 5" model out of their custom shop are both decent guns).

HKFan9
January 17, 2015, 12:52 PM
Kimber has "custom shop" models but not a real custom shop. Their custom shop designation just means they kept the slide and frame matched together through assembly instead of just grabbing stuff from parts bins.

They are good guns not the best, but the Tac Pro pretty much hits the nail on the head for what the OP wants. Sure there are better lightweight 4" 9mm's out there, but not for $1k.

WC145
January 17, 2015, 01:18 PM
Colt is bring out a lightweight XSE Commander in 9mm this year with a MSRP of $1100 so the store prices should be under a grand. That might be worth waiting for. Of course, a real Commander has a 4.25" barrel, not a 4".

subhuman
January 17, 2015, 10:27 PM
if you want a 9mm in a 1911 platform look at the Springfield Armory EMP, it was designed around the .40 and 9mm rounds and the whole thing is scaled down a little from a standard .45 frame, it has a 3.5" bull barrel and an alloy frame, will fit well in the commander holsters. Runs around $1000

jaytothekizzay
January 18, 2015, 06:56 PM
I agree... look at the EMP

Northslope Nimrod
January 24, 2015, 12:31 AM
What about STI?

Aguila Blanca
January 24, 2015, 09:50 AM
I think Colt just released a 9mm Commander version with a list price of $907. Check out Colt's new offerings.

rc
January 25, 2015, 11:21 PM
Kimber pro carry II HD are a bit heavy but really ballance well and shoot well. I got a 38 super and it's great! My 9mm Kimber target has also been great. I wish I could get a colt 9mm commander in CA.

jimbob86
January 26, 2015, 12:01 AM
if you want a 9mm in a 1911 platform look at the Springfield Armory EMP, it was designed around the .40 and 9mm rounds and the whole thing is scaled down a little from a standard .45 frame, it has a 3.5" bull barrel and an alloy frame, will fit well in the commander holsters. Runs around $1000

I have an EMP .... love it. I'd love it more if it had a 4" or 4.5" barrel, a steel frame, and a different recoil spring set-up. Oh, and a threaded barrel, too.

The EMP was originally designed, as I understand it, around the .45GAP- the only dimension that really changed much was the grip was made smaller front to back than the standard 1911 needed to be to feed the longer .45ACP round. The height and width of the slide are the same as a standard 1911- they fit in the same holsters as 3" 1911's form other makers...... and it is a 3" barrel. A very thick 3" barrel, too- it kind of looks ridiculous when you take it apart .... the frame on the 9mm is aluminum alloy, the .40 has steel frame.

The 9 weighs just 26oz. empty, and is pretty loud and snappy, loaded with personal defense ammo .....

Ak40Reverend
January 26, 2015, 03:11 PM
Maybe a little pricey but I met a gentleman at the range carrying a Wilson Combat CQB. It was chambered in 38 super not 9mm and it was impressive to say the least and I do not impress easily. About 3 times the price of a regular 1911 though.