PDA

View Full Version : Two-tone pros or cons?

Cosmodragoon
December 13, 2014, 11:49 PM
Alright, folks. A lot of nice semis come with a two-tone option. So when you decide to keep it black or let it shine, is it anything other than looks?

Gun Slide Guy
December 14, 2014, 12:09 AM
good way to make a worn slide look snazzy again for sure. I can't really think of too many advantages other than cosmetic

jaytothekizzay
December 14, 2014, 12:38 AM
Other than the toughness and corrosion resistance a stainless slide gives... its mostly personal preferences and cosmetics.
Even stainless slides can be black so, to each his own.
I personally prefer black handguns with wood grips

marine6680
December 14, 2014, 01:31 AM
It's cosmetic mostly... As modern finishes are more corrosion resistant than even stainless.

Stainless was a benefit over blued steel, as it required less care. The melonite/nitriding finishes that are gaining popularity now are even tougher. Though some of the applied finishes like ceracoat and CZ's polycoat are very tough as well. It's still best to have something underneath besides plain steel, to help prevent rusting just in case it scratches or wears off. So they are not as tough as some metal treatment finishes, but they do offer the advantage of coming in different colors, allowing for a custom look.

Auto5
December 14, 2014, 10:13 AM
In the early days of stainless steel guns, the same stainless on stainless often created galling problems. Many custom guns used frame and slide made of different steels, to solve the problem, creating the two tone looks. With improved metallurgy and modern finishes, the two tone finish is mostly cosmetic now, but a polymer frame and stainless slide combo is a good, corrosion resistant, finish.

TailGator
December 15, 2014, 10:17 AM
I will agree with those who assert that it is mostly cosmetic. I have a mild preference for flat black in a concealed carry pistol, in that it is a black object in the shadow of cover garments. There is always a chance that a reflective surface will catch the light at the moment when a coat tail moves aside for an instant, giving an otherwise casual observer something to focus on and wonder about.

Cosmodragoon
December 16, 2014, 03:41 AM
I know we shouldn't expect a carry gun to stay mint, but how about holster wear? Life has been good with leather and nylon, but I tried my first hybrid last year. It didn't take long for the kydex side of the tenifer finish to show a disappointing amount of wear. What are your holster wear stories?

Skans
December 16, 2014, 09:06 AM
I have one two-tone gun - custom STI 2011. The look is "ok", but I personally think 2-tone guns are somewhat dated....like 2-tone cars.

9x19
December 16, 2014, 09:13 AM
Way back in the early 80s, lots of IPSC shooters had their frames hard-chromed but left the slide blue.

The frame got most of the handling, and the corrosion resistance of the HC was welcome. The slide stayed blue to minimize glare (and save money ~ there weren't nearly as many sponsorships back then).

IIRC, Colt's Series 80 Combat Elite (late 80s?) was the first factory offering in such a configuration, although it had a stainless steel (vs HC) frame.

Gun Slide Guy
December 16, 2014, 10:41 AM
I brought this Kimber back to life in a big way for a guy that's local to my area. It came in with a really awful hydrodip job that was worn and wrinkling up like tissue paper in spots. This was one of those that was hard to let go of when I was done with it...

Justice06RR
December 17, 2014, 03:18 AM
I like 2-tone semi's and owned a few (SR9c, Glock26, etc).

For the most part it is a cosmetic preference and it looks 'cool'. Doesn't add any more durability or value necessarily though.

Lemmon
December 17, 2014, 07:29 AM
I wanted a Springfield XDs. The only one that the dealer had was a two toned one..... its nice but I prefer not having a shinny pistol.... It is not for show....

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina

Merry Christmas