PDA

View Full Version : Ammo cans

4V50 Gary
November 6, 2014, 10:59 AM
Where are they and what are the prices? I could use some for storage.

madmo44mag
November 6, 2014, 11:14 AM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=838&name=NEW%20UNISSUED%20MIL-SPEC%20AMMO%20CANS

gdvan01
November 6, 2014, 12:17 PM
http://ammocanman.com/50-cal-ammo-can-c-1_25/

Carne Frio
November 6, 2014, 01:11 PM
Check craigslist in your area.:D

4runnerman
November 6, 2014, 01:12 PM
Macs and Fleet farm have hundreds

Sevens
November 6, 2014, 03:16 PM
I am not a contrarian by nature... I don't look at popular things and SEARCH for a way to dislike them, but I often feel like I'm the one gun guy in a million that has no use for these things.

I think they are brilliant devices for their intended use. Very heavy stuff (ammo) in an extremely rough environment (war!) and I can see why folks are drawn to them. I can absolutely see a use and utility in them in so many ways.

It's just that none of those seem like anywhere I can make use of them. I find them much too overbuilt for me to use for ammo and the amount of ammo I haul on a range day simply isn't carried in an ammo can. They're a lot of added weight and unless you build a larger container to hold multiple cans, transporting multiple cans isn't easy.

I've got friends who pile these things high and deep, I know folks love 'em to death. I guess I'm just helping y'all out by not hoarding them myself. ;)

Gotta throw in a chuckle tho: local Meijer store here has new production .50cal sized ammo cans for sale in their shooting/hunting department. $24.99! :eek::D

madmo44mag
November 6, 2014, 04:22 PM
I store my ammo in ammo cans and when going to the range fill plastic ammo boxes with the amount of ammo I intend on shooting.
I am a re-loader and shoot several different calibers so this is my best solution for storage and use.
They can also be handy for a multitude of other uses due to the heft and durability.

psalm7
November 6, 2014, 04:56 PM
Not as cheap as they use to be but still not expensive as some of the civilian storage box's . Most places that sale surplus have them like The Sportsmans Guide . I store all the ammo I hoard in them .

4V50 Gary
November 6, 2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks guys. With your help, I'm ordering some cans. Gone are the happy days when they were $5 or less for a 50 cal can.

gdvan01
November 7, 2014, 08:10 AM
Gotta throw in a chuckle tho: local Meijer store here has new production .50cal sized ammo cans for sale in their shooting/hunting department

That's one thing I liked about the big "O" on my trips out thatta way...you can get anything in a grocery store. Booze...ammo cans...

:)