PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a Star 380

kealil
November 3, 2014, 06:41 PM
Hello all!

So I was perusing my local pawn shops this weekend and stumbled across this Star 380. Its not in the best of shape as you can probably tell by the pic but the trigger is good, the mechanics seem sound and It broke down and put back together alright.

I'm not too familiar with Stars in general, but my limited knowledge leads me to believe that they are generally good guns. And this one just fell into my hand and wanted to stay there:D.

So is there anything I need to know about Stars in general? This Star in particular? Any more tests I should look into that pertains specifically to Stars?

Also, the price is 249.99 on the ticket. I would of course haggle it down but is that price range decent for this type of Star?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but I'm trying to avoid another disaster of 09. Plus, I'm getting the tingles making me REALLY want this gun.

Thanks for any help

HQ IMAGE (http://oi57.tinypic.com/29e4twx.jpg)

Ibmikey
November 3, 2014, 07:24 PM
Which model Star are you refering to? A DK, S, SM, SS? I have a large collection of Star pistols, they are well made and good shooters. With a model and serial number I can give you more insight on your find, also it will have a Spanish date code so the year of manufacture is readily available. Do not dry fire Star single action pistols as the firing pin will break eventually.

Bill DeShivs
November 3, 2014, 09:17 PM
Without a picture or more info we can't be specific, but I can tell you that the Star .380 design is the "grandfather" of the Colt .380 and the SIG .380. They are very good guns.

kealil
November 3, 2014, 09:41 PM
Oops, sorry. meant to add a picture. Here we go.

TXAZ
November 3, 2014, 09:54 PM
Your call. Knowing the pawn code, :D I can tell you the pawn shop has exactly $100.00 in it so you have a lot of negotiating room.

10-96
November 4, 2014, 01:41 AM
I had one of those- but it was stamped Iver Johnson Pony. I swear that's the same critter! I wish I still had it- great little 1911 wannabe. It shot well, didn't have that sharp wrist-felt recoil the Sig 232 had. I don't think it was quite up to the accuracy potential of the Sig, but it was a great lit pistol with somebody else's stamps on it. I'd try to haggle a bit maybe (just because it's a pawn shop) but if they don't budge- I'd still pony up the price for it.

Jim Watson
November 4, 2014, 02:07 AM
You show a Star Model S or SM, maybe S/SM Super.
It is a post-GCA 1968 gun with somewhat adjustable "target" rear sight, thumbrest "target" grips, and serrated "target" trigger. Not much use on a .380 but required to gain enough import points to be sold here 1969-1983 or thereabouts.

The grip is comfortable, approaching the Remington PA51, the thumb safety is the superior Star design that blocks the hammer, and the cost is much lower than the quite similar Colt Government .380.
The main disadvantages are a firing pin subject to breakage from dryfiring and difficult to replace if it does, general scarcity of parts. Magazines are still listed at ammoclip.com

Bill DeShivs
November 4, 2014, 03:08 AM
I make Star firing pins.
The Iver Johnson Pony, and the F.I. Model "D" were both Star DK models with a US-made steel frame. This gun was originally to have been made for Colt as the original Colt Pony. Only about 50 were made as Colts.
The Star pictured is a fine gun, and is worth the asking price if in good working order.

Ibmikey
November 4, 2014, 03:13 AM
The pistol in the photo, by what part of the S/N that can be seen, is a Star Model S Spanish police trade in/rework with the mandated target grip to get enough points for importation. A mag release safety was also added for the same reason. This pistol is larger than the IJ "Pony" which is a USA steel frame Star DK. The photo does not show but the butt will be marked SS, the S is the model and the second S is for the added safety. These are fun, reliable shooters but some have an inertia firing pin (does not touch primer with hammer down on loaded cartridge) others the pin makes primer contact. They are single action pistols and a lot of them a bit worn by now. Star pistols require some hand fitting of parts but the trade in pistols were stripped parts of many model changes dumped together and when refinished and reassembled ( they were required by the Spanish Gov to remove all markings including unit and serial numbers) so newer parts were mated with older parts and a lot of function problems were created. Most of these thousands of pistols were sold through Inter Arms in the US.
That is about all I can say about the photo, with additional photos more could be determined, the date code is under the left grip on that model. As stated before serial numbers were removed and new ones applied so all of the trade in's will be dated in the late eighties even though frames and slides from the 40's, 50's, 60's 70's and eighties were involved.

Ibmikey
November 4, 2014, 03:24 AM
Again, after checking the photo, this is an S model and not the smaller DK or FI Model D, Iver Johnson Pony, Colt Pony pistol (the DK is all Star with an aluminum frame, FI Colt and IJ were all US steel frames...early FI's used Star parts kits but as time went on they made many parts and changes in the US. The Colt guns were Firearms International model D's roll marked with Colt info, later most were scrubbed of Colt markings and a small print FI info applied. I have pistol number 389 in the collection which is a Colt, Star and FI mixture of parts as originally assembled.

Ibmikey
November 4, 2014, 03:39 AM
Again, after checking the photo, this is an S model and not the smaller DK or FI Model D, Iver Johnson Pony, Colt Pony pistol (the DK is all Star with an aluminum frame, FI Colt and IJ were all US steel frames...early FI's used Star parts kits but as time went on they made many parts and changes in the US. The Colt guns were Firearms International model D's roll marked with Colt info, later most were scrubbed of Colt markings and a small print FI info applied. I have pistol number 389 in the collection which is a Colt, Star and FI mixture of parts as originally assembled.

OOPS, I DOUBLE CLICKED OR SOMETHING, sorry

TXAZ
November 4, 2014, 06:57 PM
Ibmikey, ubgood! Great summary.

Ibmikey
November 4, 2014, 08:49 PM
Tanks TXAZ !

James K
November 7, 2014, 01:17 AM
Those are pretty good guns, and reliable. They are big (in modern terms) for the .380, but not too big to be concealable. The design looks a bit like a scaled down 1911, but the mechanism is different in many ways, like the pivoted trigger, the way the safety works to cam the hammer off the sear, and the spring and plunger inside the slide stop.

Jim

Ibmikey
November 9, 2014, 08:47 AM
Kelli, what happened with your mod. S interest? Did you buy the pistol? Have you fired it? Where did you go? :-)