PDA

View Full Version : Cool rain-induced optical effect (and other things).

RickD
January 29, 2001, 06:12 PM
We went to a FAL-Files dot com sponsored shoot here in Phoenix on Saturday. It was cold and intermittantly drizzly. I almost didn't go, but I am glad I did.

Lots of full and semi-autos there to play with of various makes and models, shotguns and clay pigeons, belt-fed machine guns. There was a Maadi-Griffin Model 89 there as well. We had lots of reactive targets to shoot at from 50 to 150 yards. Gongs, plates. 1-gallon water cans, and more.

Some 600 yards away was a 4foot by 4foot piece of ply-wood with two medium-sized household chemical fire extininquishers on either end. The 10mph cross-wind would make things more difficult. The .50 BMG got the first crack at it. Its owner touched off a couple of rounds and dialed in the elevation for that distance but not the windage. Then he kindly allowed others to shoot it (none hit, but they were close). The rounds were thoughtfully "downloaded" by the owner about 10% so that we wussies could shoot it without crying. Nonetheless, I think I detached my retna, or at least left my share of snot on the rifle's receiver. ;)

The ammo was shooting steel-core so that everytime he hit a rock on rocky mountainette (WhiteTanks mountain foothills), a great flash of light would appear, as well as a broken rock.

Then the organizer of the event sat behind the Maadi 89. He touched one off. That he hit the CO2 and powder fire extinquisher was obvious to all. A very cool "A-Team-like" effect of explosion (powder everywhere) made the crowd roar.

Another person finally shot the second extinguisher with the .50BMG the hard way: an earlier shooter had hit the board and flipped the whole contraption backward so that the bottle was hidden from view.

My buddy and I tried in vane to shoot at the target with his .303 Enfield with apeture sight, my Leupold-scoped FAL, and his Savage .30-06. We came within inches with the scoped rifles once we remembered to account for the wind some twenty inches or so (oops)... but we never hit it.

The cool thing about his is that when he was shooting his Savage during the drizzly part of the day, I was behind him with my POS SiberOptics spotting scope. His first shot was lost in my scope due to a blast of mist in the distance, or so I thought. His next shot showed me that what I saw was the bullet cutting through the rain! It's flat arch seemed to be blasting the drizzle out of its trajectory or shaking rain drops off like a wet dog. It was friggin cool, like something out of the movie Matrix. We had people stop shooting just to check out the view from the spotting scope.

We broke for a BBQ and returned for more shootin'. Then, toward the end of the day, we had a cease fire and wheeled out a push-mower with a 3.5 horse Briggs & Stratton engine (blade removed). We placed it some 75 yards away atop four rebar posts pounded into the ground to elevate it about a foot off the ground (I don't know why). Yes, it was running at full rpm and belching smoke. It was on its last legs and had to be put down.

We placed a computer monitor next to it. The .50 BMG was told to shoot the monitor as a prelude to begin the assault on the wheezing lawn mower. He did. The monitor exploded. And the rest of us lit into the condemned garden implement.

Yes, about 35 of use with FALs (full and semi), M2 Carbine, AKs and SKS, two belt fed guns, opened up at once.

We had to shoot as fast as we could because it would be less than 20 seconds before the .50BMG would be reloaded, not to mention the belt-guns.

The lawnmower stayed running a surprising number of seconds. At least I think it did....I couldn't hear much of anything. But eventually it was clear that it had stopped rotating but the firing continued. A small flame appeared. And then it explosed in a five-foot ball of orange flame about the same time it split in two (that might have been the .50 BMG but I can't be sure).

The largest piece left of the engine was half of the piston. The rest was beat up pretty bad. The engine was laying on the ground while the body of the mower was still pretty much on the rebar, which had taken many hits (one bar was sheared off).

Sadly, for our marksmanship, there were many, many misses as evidenced by all the holes in the mower body under where the motor used to be. And some reported seeing lots of dirt kicked up in front of the mower. I chalk this up to the boys with the semi-auto AKs who were limp-fingering the trigger in an effort to produce a full-auto-like mode of fire.

We had quite a mess to clean up before the sun began to set. But clean up we did.

Rick

Steve Smith
January 29, 2001, 11:01 PM
Ok, I try to have a "professional" persona about shooting, but damn the lawn mower attack does sound cool!

Just4Fun
January 30, 2001, 11:51 AM
I want to hang out with you guys!!!

RickD
January 30, 2001, 12:52 PM
Yeah. The lawnmower was a pleasant surprise. I didn't really expect it to go kafwoom. Maybe next time someone can donate an old self-propelled-type push mower so we can set it at 150 yards coming at us, or moving left to right.

Also, the boys at the FAL Files tell me that the second fire extinguisher was kafwoomed not with the .50 BMG but with a scoped FAL (not mine).

Next time we will have to bring more gasoline-reactive targets. ;)

As a result of my poor shooting beyond 400 yards, I have decided to take a rifle course this March 4th at Ben Avery held by George Dean ($15 is steal for an 8 hour course).

Rick

markd
January 31, 2001, 01:39 AM
you could tie the self propelled mower with some rope to a stake in the ground and let it runs circles until it dies. I am jealous, I only get to shoot at paper and some steel plates at my range.

markd

Arizona Fusilier
January 31, 2001, 03:34 AM
RickD, I've been thinking about a scope for my FAL for awhile now. What type of a Leupold did you put on yours (and why)?

RickD
January 31, 2001, 12:17 PM
Why did I mount a scope on a FAL-type battle rifle at all? The reason, at the time was that I wanted it to be scoped and it was my only rifle at the time.

First, what kind of FAL do I have? It is a DSArms imported Argie FAL with Drugonov stock and 20 inch barrel with the DSAarms muzzle brake (reduces recoil perhaps 25-33%). I also had Arizona Response Systems (T. Mark Graham) do a trigger job on it for $35. He removed the stiff Argie spring and replaced it with the Belgian variety (cool) and then stoned the sear and related parts. Sweet trigger.

The result is that with the stock sights, I can do and easy 2MOA and quite often down to 1.5. with all sorts of surplus ammo. It would be interesting to see what I could do once I get around to working up a hand load for it. Keep in mind that I mounted the scope myself by eyeball and the cross hairs are probably canted a degree or three to the right. ;)(Yeah, I'll fix that next weekend).

So that's what I am working with. Now to the scope search.

I wasn't planning on paying much for a FAL scope but after I shopped around, I found that the only optics I liked were of the Leupold variety. Clarity, was job one. After the fact, I find that it hold zero during zoom changes, as a bonus.

So, after I decided that it would be a Leupold (=more$), I had to figure what model and reticle. I really wanted a mil-dot (and perhaps I shoulda anyway), but I got the duplex instead. I went with the VariX2 as the X3 was more than I could pay. Now, for the magnification range. I couldn't find anyone that had the 1-4x scope that they have all over the place now (did they make one?). So I went with the 2-7x33. I wanted the zoom or close in stuff.

I bought the DSArms Zero-Movement scope mounts and purchased some low profile Leupold quick-release rings (QRW or something like that). When I take the scope off and put it back on, it keeps its zero (at least inside of my ability to shoot it). And the scope looks real sexy, even though I wanted a matte finish instead of the gloss finish of the VX2 2-7x.

Yes, my groups tightened up some, perhaps under 1.5 MOA, but it is lots easier on my eyes when I do it. I can also see my long-distance targets better which allows me to see just how badly I missed them. But whenever I take off the scope to use the sights, I am still impressed how fast I am able to acquire the target and how my brain is able to calculate shots when my front blade is bigger than the target at 200 yards.

After shooting it at longer and longer ranges (first 100, then 200, then 300, last month 400, and last weekend 600 yards), I find that the performance of my Argie FAL (and my weak skills and knowledge) would definately be the 1-4x scope.

I like the scope, but I am wondering if one day I will be putting that scope on my daughter's .223 Savage and replacing mine with a 1-4x scope and then buying myself a good turnbolt in .300 WinShortMag and splurging on a VX3 with mil dot reticle and 1/4 MOA tactial turrets etc, etc.

The jury is still out over whether my scope purchase for the FAL was a prudent one, but he jury is having way to much fun deliberating the facts of the case.

Rick