PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of Dodge case

gilfo
October 1, 2014, 06:24 PM
I was hoping for some suggestions on a case of some kind to carry all my ammo if I have to evacuate. I'm think of a duffle bag for my long guns and handguns, but stuck on how to carry all the ammo. I'll be taking differect calibers for the various guns. I'm thinking it must have wheels for the weight. Anybody put one together I'd love to see photos or desriptions.

Thanks

wogpotter
October 1, 2014, 07:02 PM
It would need wheels for me.:)

boondocker385
October 2, 2014, 08:44 AM
My big "got to go" ammo containers are oak and metal chests that used to hold civil defense supplies. Very sturdy. ..takes a hand truck o move each one.

spacecoast
October 2, 2014, 01:23 PM
It would need wheels for me.

As in... Forklift :)

cc-hangfire
October 2, 2014, 02:04 PM
Not sure if this is the direction you're thinking, but I use zippered fabric tool bags for extra range bags. The size I use is about 16" long, 12" wide, and 10"-12" deep. One filed with ammo boxes weighs around 40# to 50#. I can separate ammo by caliber (or gage) if desired, they are inconspicuous, and they are a whole lot less expensive than similar style firearms bags. Some of the ones I've gathered up have a waterproof bottom tray molded on; that's handy on wet ground. Using these would be less convenient if you're looking for one large container; they have the advantage of being more portable individually, and allowing the ammo to be distributed easier.

BarryLee
October 2, 2014, 02:12 PM
Maybe I’m missing something, but what about basic ammo cans. If something is large/heavy enough to require wheels could you load it in a vehicle? I realize there are a lot of variables, but ammo cans seem to provide more flexibility than a large chest would.

wogpotter
October 2, 2014, 02:42 PM
As in... Forklift
Bin thar'
Dun That.
At "Dans" years back with pallets of SA/A 7.62.:cool:

(It was a group buy):)

Ridge_Runner_5
October 3, 2014, 12:02 AM
You might want to consider adjusting your loadout to firearms that shoot the same ammunition? Less to carry, then.

ballardw
October 3, 2014, 01:40 AM
If it is an "I might need it" emergency then I would start with loaded magazines in appropriate on-body carrier(for each person); holster and rifle-sling or slung case. Then add in bulk ammo, extra magazines and back up weapons in durable protective cases.

If it is "the river's rising and I got get out of here" something durable - ammo cans, equipment cases and the like. Cardboard is generally right out though some factory case boxes might work as they aren't likely to be overloaded and are made of appropriate strength material. For the guns padded or hard-side cases. There are a number of gun cases that have wheels though not usually suitable for terrain rougher than a sidewalk.