PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide, Redfield, Leupold or Burris?

kgpcr
September 26, 2014, 09:36 PM
I have narrowed it down to one of three scopes all are 3x9x40. they are the Burris FFII, Redfield Revolution, Leupold VX-1. I am going to put it on top of a Savage 220 slug gun. What scope would you put on it and why? Thanks for your help!

taylorce1
September 26, 2014, 09:56 PM
VX-1, Burris FFII, then Redfield is the order I'd choose. The VX-1 just got an upgrade and is by far the best one of the three listed. Burris is tough and will hold up well to the pounding of a slug gun. I have a couple of Redfield Revolution scopes and while serviceable it isn't in the same class as the other two.

std7mag
September 26, 2014, 10:25 PM
For a slug gun, I'd probably opt for the Redfield.

I think the Burris, and Leupold would have better optics, but lets face it, your not shooting 600 yards with a slug gun, and Redfield has a muzzleloader scope that would suit you well.

taylorce1
September 26, 2014, 11:29 PM
std7mag, considering all three scopes are $200 at Midway right now it's pretty much a wash on price.

big al hunter
September 27, 2014, 01:05 AM
For a slug gun I would choose the Burris. They are built with heavier springs in the moving components. It should hold up better to the recoil.

mxsailor803
September 27, 2014, 06:34 AM
I own a couple newer Redfields and Leupolds. I would actually go with the VX-I. Leupold has a very good warranty in case the recoil does break something.

std7mag
September 27, 2014, 08:00 AM
Taylorce;

I just got a Redfield Revenge 4-12x42 with the Varmint rangefinding reticle for $139 from Midway, with free shipping...

Love the thing!!!

Planning on 2 more. :D

Although the Revenge isn't the Revolution.

SSA
September 27, 2014, 12:11 PM
1. VX1
2. FFII
3. Revolution. Only one of the three that is not fully multicoated.

Adjusted for price:
1. FFII. $50 rebate.
2. VX1
3. Revolution

hooligan1
September 27, 2014, 12:45 PM
VX1,then Burris, wouldnt get caught by any of my peers with that stinkin redfield, had one, didnt like the picture, some people have had luck with those, not me.

For the slug gun, try a Pentax 4 power, thats a pretty decent scope, my son has one on his H&R 45-70,and it has held zero through many rounds.

jmr40
September 27, 2014, 08:03 PM
The Revolution is basically an older VX-1 with a different reticle. But the entire VX lineup was upgraded about 3 years ago. A current VX-1 is essentially the same scope as a 3-4 year old VX-2, but still selling at VX-1 prices. That's a lot of scope for the money.

Burris makes a good scope, comparable to an older VX-1. But with recent Leupold upgrades it is hard to pass up a VX-1 for Burris at almost the same price.

The Redfield Revenge is a cheaper imported scope, not in the same league

std7mag
September 28, 2014, 08:19 AM
I thought the Revenge was made in the Philipines...

The Revolution is made here in the states....

Also, please note that Leupold owns Redfield...

Orion6
September 28, 2014, 10:15 AM
Hard to beat a VX1 for a budget scope.

I know it wasn't on your list, but I have been impressed with Vortex scopes as well.